Summer of 2013...

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by xcel, May 7, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

A few updates as to what is possibly heading this way this way and a little insight as to how on the edge like fun this can be.

I received an e-mail last night at ~ 09:30 PM to see if I could be in Ann Arbor this afternoon, Central Indiana tonight and on my way down to the Gulf Coast immediately afterwards. We are talking driving, not flying. The route is the "One Lap of America" consisting of 3,380 miles in a large loop around the Eastern portion of the US. I need to complete this in either 5-days or 9-days depending on what the manufacturer wants in terms of FE. I should hear back from them later today.

Two weeks from now I will be in LA for a Quaker State commercial. Can you believe that, they want to use the guy in the hat for some reason :) While there, I am trying to procure an Accord PHEV for a quick few days drive.

In early June, the Global debut of the all-new eleventh-generation Corolla is scheduled to occur in Santa Monica. We'll definitely be there for that one!

There are three manufacturers and a major oil company interested in a Guinness 48-state drive, a longest distance on a single tank of fuel, and possibly a TransCanada drive this summer. There has been literally over 100 pages of e-mails going back and forth on this.

And of course we will be covering Mazda's SKYACTIV-D, the new Sonata and Optima Hybrids, Audi 3.0L TDIs, the new VW EA288 2.0L TDIs, diesel RAM and Grand Cherokee, and a bevy of review vehicles if we can find the time.

All for now.

Wayne

2. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Wayne,
    I'm surprised they left you enough time to throw some clean clothing into an overnight bag.

It is encouraging to see so many new products and technologies that we would want to review. With the looming CAFE increases, we don't need to worry too much about all news and updates involving nothing more than larger displacements, more drive wheels, eight or more cylinders, and curb weights approaching 2.5 tons.

3. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Very cool stuff... sleep is so overrated anyways. :p

4. xcel

Hi Chris and Brandon:

And the schedule continues to be fluid.

The LA shoot has been moved back to possibly between June 8 and the 28th. The One Lap of America drive was apparently dropped as I have not heard back. The CX-5 in the drive is going to be driven away tomorrow and a Lexus ES 300h will take its place for the week.

I have a teleconference about the 48-state drive scheduled for Monday afternoon, the MAMA Spring Rally in Elkhart Lake, WI on the May 21 - 23 and the Corolla Launch on June 5 - 7th.

Wayne

5. xcel

Hi All:

The darn phone and e-mails are piling up the past few weeks and the next 6-weeks are going to be nuts.

To begin, I will be the MAMA Spring Rally in Elkhart Lake, WI from May 21 - 23rd. 80 cars and 90 journalists at last count. I may be driving up in a Jetta Hybrid too?

It appears the the Quaker State Commercial in LA is out due to some SAG Union contractual issues? I told the Advert firm I cannot pay the $2,700 in SAG fees and dues for a $3,000 paycheck so there it sits :(

Next is the US Corolla Global Launch on June 5th - 7th.

The following day, Bob Whinger and I are schedule to perform a Guinness World Record Event drive for a major manufacturer beginning on June 8th - June 23rd.

On June 24th and 25th, I am scheduled to be back in San Diego for the Versa Note hatch short lead.

God only knows what will come after that but I am working with Shell on something kind of cool for mid-summer.

Sorry I have not been able to spend as much time on the forum as I would normally given all of the conference calls and e-mails to OEM manufacturers, suppliers, graphics places, and even oil companies.

Wayne

6. 3300+ miles in 5 or 9 days?

Thats mind boggling to the guy that did Michigan to L.A California in 4 days, 3 nights. Round trip. Aprox 4400 miles
    :eek

7. xcel

Hi James:

The Guinness 48-State drive will be an all-out effort covering just over 8,200 miles for circumnavigation in 15 to 16 days. Here is the actual route map.

[​IMG]

If all goes according to plan, this is going to be our longest circumnavigation yet.

Wayne

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  8. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Wayne,
    Much of that route looks very familiar. :) The wiggles in the route from the Four Corners across Arizona tells me they're probably some very interesting mountain roads. I anticipate lots of downhill opportunities along the way! And good choice staying the hell away from I-81, although I-95 isn't much better.

It's only about 300 miles more than the last run, so the time/distance can work just fine.

9. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Sounds like a fun trip. Good luck on it. Also, on the One Lap America, I think you have to have a NASCAR license to actually drive on the race courses.

10. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

No rest for the wicked!!! Have a good summer and prosperous one! H

11. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

You're doing your best to make the rest of us jealous. :p

12. xcel

Hi Jud:

Yeah, they were going to just visit the tracks, not drive on them.

Harold, I hope so.

Al, on one of the stretches with 2 and a half days with no hotel stay (no A/C all the way around) and no shower because there were none to be found or open, you might think otherwise ;)

Wayne

13. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Wayne,

Oh come on we all know how you like to rough it out on the road. :p

Al.

14. xcel

Hi All:

A bit of an update.

The ES300h was taken a day earlier than I had scheduled and I literally only put on 50 miles on it with nothing to show. The day they picked it up was the first day with winds of < 10 mph and no rain too :( I e-mailed the Toyota/Lexus Midwest PR rep and apologized as I missed the scheduled pick up date by one day.

Been buried with the 48-state drive detail and almost 100 very lengthy e-mails and phone calls over the past three days. It looks like they have tapered off with only three back and forths early this morning.

Later today I am headed to Elkhart Lake, WI for the Midwest Automobile Media Association (MAMA) Spring Rally. 80 + cars and 90 + journalists. I should be back on the evening of the 23rd.

While I thought the Castrol shoot was done for good, I received an e-mail that it might be back on again and I need to be in LA on Wednesday 5/29. We'll see.

After that, the new Corolla Global launch in California from June 5th - 7th, the VW Passat TDI Guinness World Record Drive from the 7th to the 23rd, Nissan Versa/Note short lead in California on the 24th and 25th, and then the RAM Diesel powered Pickup and Fiat 500e drive in Detroit scheduled for the 27th and 28th. And then possibly a NASCAR Race in Tennessee with Castrol on the 29th I think???

I feels like I have been inside a wash machine watching the world outside spinning round and round when actually I am the one spinning round and round :D :D :D

Wayne

15. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

I'm flying into MKE and driving rental (Hyundai Accent) to Elkhart Lake. I have to leave very early Thursday morning to head back.

16. xcel

Hi MIike:

Why didn't you say something!!! Dinner would have been fun with you here!

Wayne

17. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

It's been a long time since I checked in here. Great to hear there so many eco/hypermiling related products to keep Wayne so busy.

I continue to hypermile - 49.3 mpg average over 44,900 miles in my boxy 2006 Scion xB.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  18. msirach

I didn't make it to the Ostoff till after 8:30pm. I had only had 2 hours sleep in the last 29, so I opted to stay in the room. On top of that, someone broke into our house during the 2 hours I was asleep and took a Tupperware container of change that my wife had been saving. It was stored in a closet in a spare bedroom and they didn't take the iPads or Laptops that they would have had to walk by to get to it. My wife put change in it yesterday morning and she went in after she got home from work and it was missing. We figured out last night that it must have been a housekeeper that suddenly left us about 9 months ago. We heard she was mixed up with drugs.

BTW: I got a new bright red Toyota Yaris hatch instead. It is a base model with manual windows. I had forgotten how nice it is to have power mirrors and electric windows.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  19. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Ah, but what do you expect when they advertise it like this: It's A Car!™

20. msirach

Forget the burglary! I received a text from our daughter today that she found the container of money on a shelf in the closet.