First Tank 2012 TCH LE....42.66 mpg

Discussion in 'Toyota Camry Hybrid' started by DaveJ, May 6, 2013.

1. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

Just filled up on my first full tank (I first filled up at 177 miles) and using ODO got 42.66 mpg. Car MPG tank gauge said 45.1, so mine is optimistic just like many others have reported.508.9 miles used 11.93 gal. Used same pump and used the fill it until it almost goes on the ground method, very full.
    This tank was about 65% hwy. and 35% town.
    If I factored in the 3% ODO error (which I checked against 2 different GPS's), it would be 43.94mpg, but I feel to compare with other reports, I should just use the ODO uncorrected reading.
    I varied speed on highway since it is a new car. I also probably drove it a little easier than I will normally, but I'm still learning the hybrid system as this is my first hybrid.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Not bad! I wounder if this get the best MPG in its class?

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Dave:

Excellent for your first tank!

I am interested in some steady state 60 and 65 mph results when you get the chance too.

Wayne

4. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

I'll be happy to. I need to get at least one more tank to dial in my scan gauge, and then I'll post the info. May be a couple weeks or so.

5. xcel

Hi Dave:

Thanks!

Wayne

6. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

My second tank is close to the first. 625.6 miles used 14.61 gal. for 42.82 mpg.
    Interesting thing is cars mpg gauge was showing 46.7 mpg, 3.88 optimistic, much higher than first tank of 2.44 mpg optimistic. I was careful filling and used same pump, but maybe I got it fuller this time? I did not think so, but this car is kind of funny filling, so will prob. have to use 5 tank average to be very accurate.
    With my 3% error on odometer factored in, I guess a real 44.1 mpg is still pretty good.

Wayne, I'll get the steady state mpg for you soon.

7. xcel

Hi Dave:

Thanks!

I am very happy to see you breaking the 40 mpg mark with your midsize too :)

Wayne

8. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

3rd tank very similar to the first two. 43.39 calculated using odometer and gallons used.
    Since I have found my odometer to be low by 3.2%, my true MPG for first 3 tanks are 44.03, 44.19 and 44.78.
    Averaging all three together is 44.35 mpg in 1728 miles.
    I thought my last tank would be lower as I had 260 miles of a interstate like trip on it, but it ended up a little higher.
    Is anyone else on here with a 2012 or 2013 Camry Hybrid?

9. KenSoren

KenSoren Member

Dave, do you have very many hills or elevation changes in the area you drive? Sounds like it is relatively flat but would be really nice to hear you are getting these results with some hilly driving. We live in the foothills of the San Bernardino mountains and drive 15 miles to get to any nice shopping with an 1,500 foot elevation change so my '09 only averages 30 to 33 mpg on our shopping trips. I would really consider trading for an '14 if I thought I could get into the 40mpg range.

10. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

I would call it mildly hilly. A couple of my frequent trips have elevation rise and fall of 250 to 300 feet. Except in the Mississippi River bottoms, nothing is flat. But not any 1500 ft. elev. changes, that's for sure.

11. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

To update:

Tank 4 is 44.78
    Tank 5 is 46.48 (started using E0)
    Tank 6 is 49.18(still using E0)

12. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Wow nice! Is that last tank with basic hypermiling or more advanced?

13. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

I would call it basic. I try, but nothing crazy to improve mpg.

14. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

15. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Good to know that 50mpg can be had with the basics.

16. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

And with such a big, comfy cruiser as a Camry !

17. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

My 3rd E-0 tank was 48.37 mpg
    My 4th E-0 tank was 48.75 mpg.
    Results to date are

E-10(1st 4 tanks on TCH) 44.48 mpg going 2438 miles

E-0 (next 4 tanks ) 48.26 mpg going 2179 miles

I'm curious if this 8.5% increase is all due to E-0 or maybe some is me continuing to improve my driving style to suit this car, and/or break-in of car, so I'm going back to E-10 for some tanks to see what happens.

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  18. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

So I did my final fill-up of the year and was curious what my overall mpg since new is...................

In the first 8079 miles, since new in April 2013 my overall average is 45.18 MPG

I'm not setting records, but I'm very happy with my results. The cold weather has caused a hit in the last couple tanks, about 10 percent, but that seems in line with other hybrid owners.

19. xcel

Hi Dave:

That is a record in my book and by far one of the best overall results in both the country and the world! Congratulations on saving a lot of fuel, time (not spent refueling), and in particular $'s. The wear and tear on your TCH is probably much lower than the average driver as well.

Wayne

20. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Have vour last couple of tanks been E-10?