A Volt is at Home

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by msirach, May 1, 2013.

1. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

We traded our 2008 Prius in on a 2012 Volt Premium yesterday. Got a great deal on a used 2012 White Diamond Tricoat with 5000 miles. It looks like it hasn't even been driven in the rain. It is going to be my wife's car.....maybe.;)

I drove it to work today because she was apprehensive about taking it off charge the first time without me being there. I didn't get it on charge till about midnight and took it off around 4am.

I left with 13 miles of charge and the ICE didn't start until 16.4 miles. I ended up with about 71 mpg over 47 miles. On the efficiency chart, I got a 100% for whatever that is worth.

I think it will be easy to get all the way to work on a full charge. Electricians are checking the circuits today at work for proper grounding. If they check ok, I will have to get approval to plug in at work.

If my wife is intimidated by the technology, I may be forced to drive it all the time. She gets in a car and drives, or parks and talks on the phone. No, She's NOT a hypermiler except I gave her a choice of a new Prius plug in, a Lexus IS250c, or a Volt.

She didn't want the Prius because of no satellite radio, no leather, and no seat heaters. She didn't want the Lexus because of the mpg, so the Volt was is in the driveway.

2. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Keep us posted. Have not heard much about the volt on this forum. Hope you get good results. H

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Mike:

I saw you posting about it and was waiting for an announcement!

Congratulations. And if she does not like it, to bad as that means you get to drive it back and forth to work!

That is a win win in my book ;)

Now post some pics.

Wayne

4. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice Mike, congratulations! I've seen a few Vauxhall Amperas over here and they're good looking cars with great mpg! They look pretty similar to the Volt apart form the angular 'boomerang' headlights and grille.
    [​IMG]

5. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Congrats Mike. You get all the good toys. LOL

6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Nice! What kind of charger do you have at home?

7. Congrats. And I'm jealous

8. msirach

I've been using the 120v supplied charger this week.

My wife drove it to work for the last 2 days on EV only. She even posted on FB that she drove to work and back without using any gas.

She left the Volt home with me today while she is at a conference. (I have a 4 day weekend) I set my account up with MyVolt.com, OnStar, and VoltStats.net. Just ordered the all weather mats and a ClipperCreek LCS-25 level 2 charger. Next on the list is to get the XM account changed over. It must have the old owner's account set up and has a very limited playlist.

Driving the car home and me driving it to work put almost 200 ICE miles on it and it KNOCKED the 206mpg lifetime average down to 196mpg. 3 commutes on EV of 18 miles each for my wife has brought the average up to 198mpg. The battery DTE yesterday was 30 and today it is 32 miles. I hope to get all the numbers raised this weekend.

9. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Mike:
    She's an animal!!!
    OMG, only 200 mpg??? Absolutely fantastic! :D

Wayne

10. PaleMelanesian

How exactly is that mpg calculated again? Does it include EV miles and at what mpge cost?

11. msirach

That average is the lifetime average of the car on gas AND electric. The 160 ICE miles at a little over 40 mpg drug it down from 206 to 196.

12. PaleMelanesian

Good to know it's not dismissing the electric miles as "free". Any idea what kWh-mpg conversion it uses?

13. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous. The Volt has been a remarkably solid offering from GM. Midding ICE FE or not, I wouldn't mind having one in the drive.

14. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Not sure I buy that. If you drove all electric for 95 miles on your 16 kWh pack,
    you'd be getting the 200 MPGe, give or take. So, are you sure the electricity is
    being counted?

By the way, I too am jealous. If I had a single vehicle, I'd consider the Volt, too.
    I think Volt drivers are succeeding for the most part in minimizing their gasoline
    usage. Of course, my sister drives a company Volt long distances and averages
    60-80 MPG, so somewhat wasted on her.

Thanks,
    Bill

15. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Good point. That must've been total mileage traveled in the life of the car, divided by gallons of gasoline burned in the life of the car?

16. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Makes sense, and takes nothing from the achievement.

Cheers,
    Bill

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

I wish I could be jealous, but sadly I'm stuck with envy.

18. msirach

Here is the data from MyVolt.com:

19. msirach

Here is the status screen. This is about 416mpg. [​IMG]

20. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Yeah , I won't even SIT in a car unless it has all three of those amenities.

Seriously , I once bought my wife a beautiful shotgun. Strangley enough , she didn't want to shoot it , so I ended up having to blast the hell out of hundreds of clay pigeons.

Congrats , Mike , on "your" nice new car.