Illinois Speed Limits on a fast track to 70 mph. What a waste :(

Discussion in 'Traffic and Safety' started by xcel, Apr 30, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I am urging the Illinois legislature to vote no on SB 2356, which would increase the speed limit to 70 mph from 65 mph on Illinois' roadways. The bill has already passed through the Illinois Senate and awaits a full vote by the Illinois House.

There is an enormous speeding problem in Illinois already and this will only exacerbate the problem.

According to AAA Chicago, speeding is responsible for more than half of Illinois' 900 plus roadway fatalities, and more speed will not help lower that statistic.

Between 2008 and 2011, Illinois' roadway fatalities dropped 12 percent with fatalities due to speeding increasing by 14 percent. In 2010 and 2011, Illinois speed limits for large trucks were raised to 65 mph. Over this period, there was a 39 percent increase in fatalities involving large trucks.

In a 2011 Crashes vs. Congestion study, a conservative estimate of the cost to society for each fatal crash was $6 million.

Wayne

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I've driven most of the Interstates on the east coast and over to Indianapolis and Chicago and the only road I've can see a 70 mph speed limit is I-75 along the west coast of Florida. I-75 that runs north of the Florida border 65 mph is fast enough. I've driven I-95 from Philadelphia to Miami and never saw a need for anything higher than 65 mph. I can see their point when you get out in the real boonies of the Midwest to California. East coast, to the Mississippi river, I really don't see a need for the higher speeds above 65 mph.

3. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

They want to up the limit for I40 from my exit to the beach (Wrightsville) from a 70 to a 75. Imagine my joy. Regardless, I still plan to keep doing my 65 MPH dance.

4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

70 mph- on state highways or interstates??

In any case 70 mph limit means you are scared to drive slower than about 63 mph-
    since the actual average speed will be about 73 mph.
    Yeah it pushes your envelope-you end up with more cars on your bumper-
    When I go thru TX I do 62-63 in 70 mph-
    about 66 in 75 mph
    and about 55mph at night on 60 mph ones
    If I go much slower-I end up with Big Rigs crowding me

5. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

I set my cruise at 65 MPH and let it fly. Occasionally I run into issues with governed trucks attempting to pass, as 65 actually translates into 63 according to GPS. Otherwise I don't see many issues. UNLESS... I'm passing something slower. Then it's "OMGblargh! JEEBUSCAN'TYOUSEEI'MFLYINGHERE!!!???!??!!!" from the folks behind me that want to travel Mach III uninterrupted. They have a hard time intimidating my cruise. They certainly give it the good ol' college try though.

6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I still let my speed drop to 60 at times on our interstates, recently upgraded to 75. I haven't actually seen much change in the average speed despite the higher limit. I hardly ever keep a constant speed, so I can pick and choose when is the right time for fast or slow. Ride the waves of traffic.

7. phoebeisis

Pale
    In 2 months I'll be passing thru TX-on the way to Flagstaff.
    Of course passing thru TX- means maybe 600-700 miles of TX
    We take the route W from S'port I-20 then 635 ring-then N Denton-then Hy 287 to Amarillo-pick up I-40 there.
    We are going to skip the I-635 mess(getting on at 1 off about 26)-driving thru DFW and picking up maybe Hy 287 on the far side.

I hear You TEXANS have turned 635 into a toll rd-and it is worse than usual because of rd work??
    TX used to have 70 mph limits on everything but I-10 middle of Nowhere between San Ant and El Paso-80 mph too freakin fast in an old SUV
    Yeah you Free Market Texans now have rich people rds and crummy roads for the rest of us?? How did that happen??
    I kinda like Rick Perry-how can you not like Vulture Capitalist-best line of the entire presidential campaign-but he must have been popping too many Vicoden when he privatized your interstates!!
    An occasional toll rd-OK- but you Texans don't know when to stop!!
    I got CAUGHT on one in 2008-made a wrong turn outside Wichita Falls ended up in Ok-cost me $2 and 2 hours!!

Sorry about the Phillipic(sic) but since you are a Texans-you are IT for blame!!
    Charlie

8. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Actually, I didn't know about the toll section on 635 until now. When I have to go to the airport I take 20 and then 360 north. When I visit family in NE Dallas I exit before 635 and take other routes to avoid it entirely. I'd even rather go through downtown than 635.

The speed limit drops down when you approach Dallas like it always has. Just from the border to Canton or Terrell is 75 mph.

Yes, I-20 to FT Worth and the 287 N would be my choice.

9. phoebeisis

Andrew

Right-thanks for confirming what another TX told me-
    We have been taking the 635 ring from 1 to about 27-since about 2000-maybe 16 times-8 trips. The 635 route no fun since your fellow Texans seem to lose their minds on 635??
    Polite enough all the rest of TX but crazy on that elevated 635 ring-??
    Thanks
    Charlie

10. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I have no problem with letting state authorities raise the speed limits. That is their right, and frankly I don't care if people want to travel wastefully. Wasteful, BTW, is a relative term as for commercial truckers, time is more valuable than fuel, which I think largely fuels (pun intended) most efforts to raise speed limits on the superslab.

I maintain 60mph on the 75mph PSL interstate close to here. After all there are two lanes and within 30 min or so I typically get a small caravan going as I find someone else keeping their speed down. I also help out truckers, demonstrating at least some empathy/benevolence by flashing headlights when it's safe for them to move back in front of me, or if the passing lane is crowded, I will speed up until it's safe for them to pass. They almost universally flash their hazards in appreciation.

11. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

For them and for everybody, sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. If you decide what your time is worth in $/hour, and you are familiar with the speed vs. mpg plot for your vehicle, and you know the price of fuel (including whatever subjective & environmental cost we choose to assign to burning fuel, in addition its direct purchase price), then it shouldn't be difficult to determine your optimum speed (for minimum overall cost) objectively. Not many people even try to do that, though.

12. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Great. Now the crazies here will be driving 85 instead of merely 80. On the only Interstate I sometimes use here (I-88) , the PSL is 55 and most traffic in the two left lanes runs about 70-75. I DWL at 53-60 MPH in the right lane and ignore them.

13. waltermlee

waltermlee Well-Known Member

It seems like many states have upped their speed limit. In Michigan, 70 mph on a superhighway is the norm. The Ohio Turnpike PSL is normally 70 mph unless there's road construction. Even parts of the Pennsylvania Turnpike is even 70 mph despite the roads being so high up there the gasoline engines have trouble running, and the road are so twisty and yo-yo like that its a wonder that more cars don't just fly off the road... My guess is that the governments are doing this to increase the capacity of the road so the road can handle more vehicles - atleast on paper - it is a way to justify higher development densities along road corridors without actually increasing the physical size of the road. In addition to the setting higher PSL, many are also setting minimum PSL of 55 mph. High speeds like that are going to eat into fuel efficiency unless the frontal surface area of cars start to shrink..

The EPA highway mpg rating is not design to accommodate those kind of speeds - so it is not surprising with these new higher PSL that new cars like the Ford C-MAX are reportedly now finding it difficult to achieve the EPA Hwy rating in the real world..

Even with today's new safety features - any faster than 50 mph is likely to be fatal for all those concerned.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  14. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

A blow out at 70mph+? Good luck and enjoy the spin, crash, burn.