Hyundai won Jerks of the month with no real competition

Discussion in 'Hero and Jerk of the Day' started by ALS, Apr 27, 2013.

1. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

You really can't get more tasteless than Hyundai's latest and shortest run marking ad on how green their cars are. :eek: They win the Jerks of the month with this one. They pulled all the ads after a major uproar.

[fflash=center]http://www.youtube.com/v/YtfmNGOaB5M?version=3[/fflash]

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Al:

Hyundai PR here in the US was apologizing to no end over this one.

Wayne

3. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Right message (no poisonous emissions), wrong delivery (the imagery and storyline).

I believe most people know someone or know of someone who ended their own life, and seeing video of this nature will reopen old wounds and leave a negative impression of the car and the manufacturer. I blame the ad agency, and the person or few people within Hyundai's UK team who likely would have known the ad content and theme and approved it. I'm sure they're gone by now, and processes will be put in place to make sure something like this doesn't happen again.

Advertising is one of the most powerful tools for forming brand image and public opinion. If it weren't, nobody would pay the sort of money that air time commands. After seeing this video and recalling the salacious Ford ad from Asia, I have to wonder if companies are giving advertising approval authorization to low-rung corporate newbies who are approving shocking material in the quest to find the next viral advertising hit and make a name for themselves within the company.

Any ad can backfire. I remember my mother looking in disgust at the original Kia Soul Hamster ad and asking, "Why are there mice in that car? That's disgusting." She saw it as an otherwise cute car that was infested with vermin, suggesting filth and disease. Over time, she warmed up to the idea ("a new way to roll", with hamsters cruising in a Soul instead of running on the exercise wheel like all the other hamsters), and now sees the hamsters in their intended context - far cooler and distinctive and not following the crowd. The punchline is that she now drives a Soul and loves a little Soul Hamster flash drive I gave her.

After this unfortunate ix35 ad shown above, I suspect there will be new procedures for approving ad content throughout the Hyundai companies.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  4. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

This is a right hand driver car? That doesn't look like a garage in the UK?

Maybe for Australia?

5. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

They could have done the exact same ad with the guy being forgetful by leaving the car in the garage running. He goes into the house and later to bed only to come down the next morning to find he had left the car running all night with the garage door closed. The point that could have been made on how clean the car runs is the CO alarms in the house never went off.

Makes the same point with out the suicide angle.

6. And another Job Opening