Heading from IL/WI border to Ann Arbor via AMTRAK

Discussion in 'Commerical Transportation' started by xcel, Apr 24, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Hyundai is having a Regional for the all-new 2013 Santa Fe and 2013 Sonata Hybrid at their Tech Center in Ann Arbor tomorrow and I was invited… Flying would have been prohibitively expensive but riding the rails does not seem all that bad. I hopped on a Metra (local rail) this morning down the street form my parents on the IL/WI border for $7.25. Once downtown, it’s a one-block walk to Chicago’s Union Station. This was a $33.00 ticket. Hyundai is providing a car for the night and I will probably stay in it vs. a hotel for a few hours of sleep.

Anyway, here are three of Chicago’s Union Station highlights.

[​IMG]
    Chicago's Union Station - Untouchables Movie Entrance.

[​IMG]
    Chicago's Union Station Statuettes. Not a bad shot at about 5X zoom on the Canon SX260 HS.

[​IMG]
    Chicago's Union Station - National Train Day in early May.​

Wayne

2. xcel

I feel like Bob Segar's "Turn the Page" or Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" is my calling the past 12 weeks :D

On a long and lonesome highway
    East of Omaha
    You can listen to the engine
    Moanin' out his one note song
    You can think about the woman
    Or the girl you knew the night before
    But your thoughts will soon be wandering
    The way they always do
    When you're ridin' sixteen hours
    And there's nothin' much to do
    And you don't feel much like ridin',
    You just wish the trip was through

Here I am
    On the road again
    There I am
    Up on the stage
    Here I go
    Playin' star again
    There I go
    Turn the page

Well you walk into a restaurant,
    Strung out from the road
    And you feel the eyes upon you
    As you're shakin' off the cold
    You pretend it doesn't bother you
    But you just want to explode...

On the road again -
    Just can't wait to get on the road again.
    The life I love is making music with my friends

And I can't wait to get on the road again.
    On the road again

Goin' places that I've never been.
    Seein' things that I may never see again

And I can't wait to get on the road again.
    On the road again -
    Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway
    We're the best of friends.
    Insisting that the world keep turning our way

And our way
    is on the road again.
    Just can't wait to get on the road again...

3. Have a good ride. I'll wave as you pass.

4. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

It is a excellent way to travel. I really enjoy it. We should all do it more! Problem is here in Canada they charge a arm and a leg as they think you are a tourist. They wonder why nobody hardly comes to the country. Dumb!!!! H

5. xcel

Hi James and Harold:

I made it. The Detroit area Press fleet handlers were waiting at the station as the Amtrak arrived 45 minutes late. Driving a 13 Santa Fe Sport (nice CUV!!!) until noon or so, a Sonata Hybrid for the afternoon, back to Chicago and all of next week.

Wayne

6. Hmmm. Hybrid and going back to Chicago? Got any time to stop in Jackson and give the wife a look. :D.

Edit Oops, Jackson IS about exit 136 on I94 on your way back. No big deal if you don't. We're hitting the Hyundai dealers Monday.

Nevermind - she's not interested in the sonata

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  7. xcel

Hi James:

I had no access to e-mail or the web until yesterday evening when I finally reached home behind the wheel of the Sonata hybrid.

Given some of the stories I have read about regarding the air traffic control system slow down, the 45 minutes or so delay to ride the Amtrak two days ago was really much to do about nothing.

The Greyhound from Chicago to Ann Arbor would have been a little less expensive at $17 vs. $33but the early morning or late at night bus schedule was not conducive to getting into Chicago on the local Metra train in time to catch the bus to begin with.

Amtrak – The way to really fly…

[​IMG]
    Well sort of ;). Passing through the Metra train yard as we leave Union Station.​

Amtrak – A short timeline

October 30, 1970 - President Nixon signs Rail Passenger Service Act, setting Amtrak's transition date to May 1, 1971.

March 22, 1971 - Amtrak formally announces intended routes and on May 1st, Amtrak service begins.

In 1972 offers 14 daily Metroliner Service trains from New York to Washington, D.C. and 11 trains between New York Penn Station and Boston timetable.

1973 sees Congress pass Amtrak Improvement Act and the Regional Rail Reorganization Act, mandating transfer of operation of the Northeast Corridor to Amtrak. Amtrak orders new locomotives, including SDP-40F diesels, electric locomotives, and "Metroliner-type" cars (later called Amfleets).

By 1975 Amtrak is establishing new rail routes, including Norfolk-Chicago, New York/Boston-Chicago, Minneapolis-Duluth state supported service, and Detroit-Jackson (partially funded by Michigan).

In 1977 the company issues a five year improvement plan calling for purchase of new passenger cars and locomotives, modernization of stations and maintenance facilities, and track upgrading ¾ of Amtrak day service passengers traveling in new cars, either Amfleet or Turboliners.

1979 saw the introduction of its first Superliner I, first new long distance car in two decades, made for the Chicago-Seattle Empire Builder route. The following year, Superliners were added to the Chicago-Oakland, Los Angeles-Ogden, and Chicago-Los Angeles routes.

In 1985, Amtrak inaugurated Executive Sleeper service on the Night Owl for Washington, D.C.-New York business travelers. A year later Amtrak surpasses Eastern Airlines to become the leading Washington, D.C.-New York carrier

1988 saw the introduction of movies, special menus and other amenities on the Texas Eagle and Sunset Limited Superliner routes.

By 1989, Amtrak carries more passengers between Washington, D.C. and New York than all of the airlines combined.

In 1991, they provide a 3-hour, 55-minute express service between Boston and New York.

1992 saw for the first time in its history, the company carries more commuter passengers than intercity passengers

During a January of 1996 blizzard, Amtrak is the only intercity mode to maintain service on the Northeast Corridor.

1998 saw passenger revenue surpass $1 billion for the first time.

December 11, 2000 saw the first Acela Express train set enter service. By the end of the following year, the Acela Express carries approximately a million passengers.

In 2004, Amtrak and the state of Pennsylvania announce joint plans to improve and rehabilitate the Keystone Corridor which will allow speeds of up to 110 mph

2010 saw the introduction of free Wi-Fi service at New York Penn Station, Washington Union Station, Boston South Station and Philadelphia 30th Street Station, as well as in Baltimore, Wilmington and on all Acela Express trains.

The Heartland Flyer, running on 20% biodiesel fuel, becomes one of TIME Magazine's 50 Best Inventions of 2010.

"Amtrak Connect" Wi-Fi equipment installed on more than 450 Amfleet; by the end of 2011, approximately 75 percent of all Amtrak passengers had access to free on-board Wi-Fi.

By 2012, Amtrak achieves regular speeds up to 110 mph on Amtrak-owned track between Kalamazoo, Mich. and Porter, Ind., as well as in Illinois between Pontiac and Dwight. These improvements are the result of partnerships with state and federal governments.

Wayne

8. Yea, that trip from the cas last year was my 1st time on a train. I'd do it again for sure. Was about $25 to go Chicago to Albion. Then a little over .5 mile walk home.