Fiat 500e only in CA?

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by blownb310, Apr 12, 2013.

1. blownb310

blownb310 Well-Known Member

I read that the 500e will only be sold in California. That's disappointing, but can't we have a friend or family in CA buy one for us out of staters and then simply buy it from them? I would imagine the only problem would be having any kind of service out of the car's 'home region' of CA.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Right. "Only sold in CA" just refers to the dealer. Typically $800 to $1k to ship cars to elsewhere in the USA.

3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Fiat would have to fix it in any State.. you should be able to buy it yourself but dont take delivery, have it shipped directly to your home that way you dont pay California sales taxes.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

More accurately: it must be shipped over the CA border to avoid sales tax. You can do what you want with it after that.

Of course, unless you want a very slow road trip herm's probably right that you'd have it delivered to your home.

5. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I believe if you take delivery in CA you pay the tax, so just over the border would work... very nice car BTW

6. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

And you definitely don't want to pay CA tax on it. Take it from a California native.

7. blownb310

blownb310 Well-Known Member

Tax where I live in NY is 8%. How much more can it be in CA?

Around here, regardless of where you bought the vehicle, you pay the state sales tax when and where you register it.

Mike

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Stat sales tax is 7.5%, then local additions. 8% to 8.5% is the norm. But you'd be having it delivered so no worries anyway.

9. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Hold on...I was thinking registration fees upon initial purchase, which are stiff, to say the least, in California. Naturally that wouldn't affect someone who will title and register it in another state. I remember it was around $800 for the Passat when my Dad leased it in '00 which is the last vehicle they got when we were out there.