Battery cars set to remain stalled in a niche market

Discussion in 'General' started by Gord, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

When I was in London at Easter I got a free Financial Times every day and there was an article in it I found interesting so I cut it out!

Executives at all three of the biggest US carmakers have said they expect pure electric cars – whose numbers were expected to grow rapidly after significant federal government investment – to remain a small market niche until technology improves.

The executives from General Motors, Ford and Toyota, the US market leaders by sales, all pointed to the continuing high cost and weight of batteries as barriers preventing the technology’s spread beyond a handful of urban commuters.

Battery-electric vehicles currently account for only about 0.1 per cent of new car sales, according to Edmunds.com.

Bob Carter, Toyota’s senior vice-president for automotive operations in the US, said that, while there was a role for pure battery-electric vehicles, it was a “small role” and would take some time to emerge. Toyota is the US market number three by sales.

“It’s going to take advancements in battery technology, as well as lower cost,” Mr Carter said.

Read more

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't see a jump in sales until another generation or two of hybrid / BEV development.

Don't look for any kind of real advancements in battery technology for another seven to ten years. Like I've said before these BEV's will not take off until they have the range of a gasoline or diesel passenger car and full recharge rates in the 20-30 minute range.
    Until then, the plug in Hybrids are the way to go for most of us. When we see plug in hybrids with a price in the $25-30K range that can go fifty miles on purely electric is when you will see a major jump in sales.

3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

there are an awful lot of new battery articles published every month.. there must be hundreds of universities and research centers working on the problem and the next big $$ breakthrough.. just wait for it

4. ALS

You're still looking at a five year window between the lab and the showroom.

5. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I'm sure stuff that is twice the range, or half the cost is being tested by OEMs right now.. unless Obama snuffs it

6. ALS

Why would Barack do that, he hates the evil oil companies?

7. herm

herm Well-Known Member

because cars represent the freedom of the open road, the freedom to move to Texas if you so desire.. Oil production has gone up under Obama, and he has successfully strangled Canadian tar production.. oil and gun companies love Obama.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

It seems so much easier to engineer incremental improvements to Plug-In hybrid range.

9. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

The thing about this steady stream of "BEV adoption is really slow" articles is that they portray it as if it's some sort of surprise, but it is a surprise to no one. Of course it's a slow, gradual process, and BEVs will remain a niche for a long time to come while they gradually grow more and more mainstream.

But I will tell you that they are a helluva lot more than 0.1% of the market around here. Leafs are daily sightings around here, not really something I even take notice of much anymore. While up in the Puget Sound area the last few days, we were in Bellevue Square and walked into the Tesla dealership (next to the Apple store, of course). They said they've delivered nearly 900 Teslas from that dealership alone.

The world is changing, folks. Slowly, but surely.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013