Eco headlights compared and measured

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by PaleMelanesian, Apr 8, 2013.

1. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I bought a pair each of Sylvania EcoBright bulbs and Philips EcoVision, both 9003/HB2 size.

Column1Column2
    BulbWatts (ea)
    OEM51 (spec 55W)
    Philips44
    Sylvania44 *

*Sylvania's bulbs start out at 48W and slowly drop to 44 after about a minute. The Philips bulbs start and stay at 44. It's possible the Sylvania's would drop even lower with more time but I stopped to not drain my battery.

Combined results (with LED tail & marker lights), car on but not running
    Column1Column2Column3
    Watts OEMWatts Eco
    No lights3838
    Marker lights6641
    Headlights168129

That's a 23% improvement. :D

I am currently running the Sylvania Ecobrights because of the dropping power consumption. They might (probably will?) settle at lower power than the Philips after a minute of warmup.

Brightness and color are the same with all 3 (oem, philips, sylvania) under the scientific test of "stand 50 feet away and look at them".

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  2. PaleMelanesian

In summary, the LED taillights and markers saved 25W and cost $110.
    These headlights saved 14W and cost only $13. Definitely better bang-for-buck.

Overall I've gone from an estimated 12 minutes of headlights-on FAS ability to 16 minutes.

3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Not bad.. all that energy is coming out of your gasoline tank. The voltage was constant during this test?

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Andrew:

How are you measuring the individual lights consumption as that sounds really interesting in itself!

Wayne

5. PaleMelanesian

Roughly constant mid 11 volts with the engine off. I retested with both OEM bulbs at the end and it came out the same.

I'm not too concerned by the gas consumed to power the lights - the savings really are minimal. What I'm aiming for is better engine-off ability, which is a huge savings over running the engine just to power some light bulbs.

6. PaleMelanesian

How did I measure?

I disconnected the positive battery cable and inserted my ammeter in between the battery and cable. Turn on the lights, measure amps. Turn off. Swap bulbs, repeat. Then I converted to Watts with a simple Amps * 12V.

The car draws 0.18A = 2.16W just sitting there. Security, remote door locks, clock and radio memory, etc.

OEM headlights = 8.85A
    subtract .18A standby = 8.67
    times 12V = 104W
    subtract 3W for taillights = 101W
    divide by 2 for each headlight = 50.5W

7. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Andrew:

Thanks. Simple and effective data collection!

Wayne

8. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Good point!

Brake lights are an interesting special case. When one is braking in gear, power to operate them effectively comes not from the fuel tank, but from a slight reduction in energy wasted by the brakes. That is, brake lights assist the brakes a bit. Of course it's a different story when the wheels aren't driving the engine.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013