Chicago IL to San Diego, CA Prius PHEV Adventure

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by xcel, Apr 4, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Just a few updates I just completed the first measured fill in Lexington, NE…

The drive from Chicago to San Diego has begun of course. 2,108 miles and 2 and a half days to get there. Sounds like the beginning to a great song, doesn't it ;)

Heading West

[​IMG]
    I-88 west of Chicago… That's not coffee! Its gasoline according to the HAZMAT placard.

[​IMG]
    Initial top off at the Worlds Largest Truck Stop, I80, in Walcott, IA last night. See the
    The Worlds largest Truckstop (Iowa 80) -- 49 Years of Serving America’s Truckers write-up for more.

[​IMG]
    Prius PHEV: 52 mpg displayed at 69 mph, 68 mph, 67 mph at 100, 200 and 300 miles out… Highest was 53 mpg at 68 mpg.

[​IMG]
    Camp California at the first rest area west of Omaha, NE this morning after 6 and a half hours of sleep.

[​IMG]
    2012 Mazda3 with SKYACTIV - Not as efficient as it could be when driven (> 80
    mph heading westbound on I-80 in eastern Nebraska) and loaded like this.​

Great Platte River Road Archway Monument - Kearney, NE

[​IMG]

A history museum that uses film, computer graphics, light and sound, life-size dioramas, re-enactors and classic cars to document over 150 years of transportation and communication across America.” The Archway brings the westward migration to life.

An adventure that links our nation and will transport you back in time to an era when covered wagons, hand-pulled carts, and trains first crisscrossed the prairies. The Great Platte River Road Archway is an interactive adventure that pays tribute to the pioneers who passed through Nebraska on their way West. These entrepreneurs were shaped by what they saw and experienced, and they have given America a heritage that is a living spirit that molds our nation’s character today.

What will you witness in the Archway? The thrill of an arriving Pony Exprss rider, the urgency of declaring war spreading over the telegraph wires, a buffalo stampede, the words and faces of those that lived and died on the route, the building of the railroad, the creation of the first transcontinental road (the Lincoln Highway), and today’s modern transportation system all becomes an adventure for you to share!

The Great Platte River Road Archway is a bridge that pays tribute to the perseverance and ingenuity that developed our wonderfully diverse culture and dynamic American heritage and future.

The first measured fill map detail

[​IMG]
    Google Map is clicakable link: 501 actual miles from I-80 Truck Stop in Walcott, IA to Conoco in Lexington, NE.

[​IMG]
    Walcott, IA to Lexington, NE - 501 miles actual - 10.059 gallons = 49.81 mpg actual - 52 mpg displayed.​

Wayne

2. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Wow 52 MPG. You must be up around the PSL or higher, or got one strong headwind. It will be interesting to see what happens when you hit the mountains. What is your route going to be. Will you be going I-80 to I-76 the I-70 to I-15 and then on the SD or have you some more interesting route in mind.

I like how the wheels look. Are they the wheels or covers.

3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

69mph!.. Wayne calm down

4. xcel

Hi Jud:

That's the route.

Herm, PSL's in NE are 75 :eek:!!!

Wayne

5. bestmapman

BTW there are a few places along your route that have significant lower fuel prices. I found a place the fuel at $3.35 gal for unleaded. Give me a call and I can help you if you want me to.

Also the mountains in Colorado are more expensive for fuel than either side are.

Good luck have a great trip.

6. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

So Wayne whats your hurry? :D

I keep telling you guys there is no need to run over 65 mph because you really don't save that much time and burn a hell of a lot more gas than you need to.

Pittsburgh to Naples 1170 miles, driving the limit costs me 45 minutes and gains me me 2.5 mpg in the fuel sucking pig Volvo. Wayne dropping the Prius down into the 100 kph to 65 mph range should gain you at least four to five mpgs and not cost you that much additional time.

Just rattling your chain. :p

Have a good time.

Al

PS Ran the Gas Buddy trip calc and they say the cheapest gas

Chicago to San Diego.

Western Convenience $3.35
    825 Main St
    Fort Morgan, CO

Phillips 66 $3.50
    1050 W 1250 S
    Richfield, UT

Petro America Gasoline $3.90
    1548 F St
    San Diego - Central, CA

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  7. herm

herm Well-Known Member

the pup is probably asking "are we there yet?"

8. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

So, when running in CS mode (no grid charge, whatever you want to call it) are there any advantages/disadvantages vs. a non-plug prius?

/Are you charging any ... or is it worth the time to try and hunt down a plug when on a long road trip?

// which begs the question: Would a real hyper-miler do this trip in 11 mile segments?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. bethomas463

bethomas463 Slow Rider

speedy wayne! make me feel like i drive really slow!

ahhh the I80 truck stop. used to stop there each time i was going back and forth to college (iowa state)

10. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Glad to see the temp-tag hanging on in the rear window. With the slope of the window, I was worried it'd sag or fall down over time. I guess the scotch tape they use in Da Bronx is stronger than the stuff the rest of us use.

11. xcel

Hi Jud:

Thanks for the pricing! I will not make it to Utah before having to fill up but will be on the other side of the mountains so that should save me a few $’s.

Al, with the above results, I think you will want to purchase a Prius PHEV too ;) Actually I left at ~ 04:00 PM yesterday, ran the Chicago rush hour. I have to be in San Diego by 05:00 PM tomorrow evening as my son has a Rowing Dinner I need to make it too. Yes I am in a rush and the Prius PHEV is kicking @$$ and taking names ;)

If I need gas by the time I reach Richfield, UT, I will stop so thanks!

Herm, pup had to stay home with my mom as my son’s rowing meet this weekend does not allow dogs on the beach :(

Carcus, yes there is!!! No arrow balance at speed (> 47 mph in charge sustaining mode) is so much easier to control than a Prius Gen III and Gen II. Much stronger warp stealth. Longer 100 + mpg distance with the ICE running and injectors open than Prius Gen III before moving to the right of the center HSI threshold bar. If this pack and ECU strategy was in the Prius c or Gen III, there would be higher FE for most. And I am not talking about anything to do with the Charge depletion mode either!

Brandon, as I passed I-35, I said hello to Iowa State too ;) And Iowa as I passed Iowa City.

Chris, the sticker is holding on real good.

Chicago IL to San Diego, CA Prius PHEV Adventure continues…

[​IMG]
    Prius PHEV at the McDonald's in Lexington, NE where the OP was posted from :)

[​IMG]
    71 mpg, 63 mph and 100 miles since this afternoons fill-up.
    67 mpg 62 mph and 200 miles out since the fill-up. Also climbing towards Denver now.
    64 mpg, 64 mph and 300 miles out about 25 miles from Denver.​

This was surprising. Yesterdays and early today’s results occurred with 36 to 45 degree temps. Last hour was 45 to 50 degrees.

This afternoon’s results began at 64 degrees and went up to 71 degrees until the harsh climb out of Denver. It is now 52 degrees again. There was an approximate 5 to 10 mph tail wind and more truck traffic than I have ever seen out west. Most that passed provided a block or two of 100 + mpg.

[​IMG]
    I-76 - I-80 Split in Nebraska just before entering Colorado.

[​IMG]

Charge Depletion mode comes back as expected. 2 miles of 6% downhill grade after hard climb out of Denver on I-70 with brakes applied for strong regenerative braking brought back 2.4 miles of Electric Range. The monster climb and 30 minute stop and crawl into first tunnel killed the average speed :(

[​IMG]
    Parked at the McDonald’s in Idaho Springs: Elevation 7,500’ ASL. 352.1
    miles from fill-up in Lexington, NE at 62 mpg displayed and a 60 mph average.​

Wayne

12. bestmapman

WOW that is great, I am tempted to turn my Gen III in for one of those. How long is that pricing going to last.

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Given sales below 1,000 each month it should last a while. I'm not going to replace mine, but I know that if I were in the market for a Prius I'd only be looking for a MA/NJ/NY Plug-in. (As it happens my current thinking is Volt+Leaf because that's a better fit for us).

14. bestmapman

I have 125k on mine now, so I am considering a PHEV or might wait for the Gen IV.

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'd be thrilled with a Prius c.

16. xcel

Hi All:

Chicago IL to San Diego, CA Prius PHEV Adventure continues… Day 3

[​IMG]
    Prius PHEV at the Eisenhower Tunnel entrance - 11,013 ft ASL.

[​IMG]
    Eisenhower Tunnel - 7 miles of 6 to 7% grade downhill – no EV
    miles before and 7.3 miles estimated range regenerated afterwards.​

I have a lot more to discuss about how the PHEV makes for a better highway car than the regular Prius and how this ability to store a large portion of the excess potential energy really gives your FE a boost! I will add to it on Sunday.

Something completely different and usual for one of our adventures ;)

An interesting addition… Following Al’s post that fuel was less expensive in UT, I was going to refuel in UT if I cold make it. I was on a blinking pip when I crossed the CO/UT border. Little did I know there were no gas stations for well beyond the Prius PHEVs remaining fuel for most. I think???

The PHEV went to 0 DTE and no pips 23 miles in. I slow speed P&G’ed up a few thousand foot hill until I reached a rest area 40 miles over the border. I looked for a 120V outlet to add 11 + miles but none were available.

When the Rest Area lady showed up this morning, I asked where the next gas station was as I assumed the PHEV was absolutely on fumes. How far can you go after the blinking pip disappears altogether anyway??? I guessed .5 gallons was left and I was pretty deep into that reserve.

The lady said she had no idea where an outlet was but did say a gas station was 2 miles further. Someone overheard my conversation with her and offered me a gallon from his trailer filled with ATVs and Motorcycles. I said I only needed him to leave about 5-minutes after I did to make sure I made it to that next exit. He said no, take a gallon and you will be good.

“Just remember to Pay it Forward.”

As it was, I stopped at the Lake Forest Oasis on I-294 when I left home Wednesday evening. A guy was asking for a few $’s to help him drive back to KY. He was in a junk Taurus and his family was inside. I gave him $5.00 and did not think a thing of it. Little did I know I would be paid back in full plus more just two mornings later! Funny how things work out that way!

Utah Scenic shots from behind the windscreen…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    UT - AZ Border on I-15

[​IMG]
    ZZYZX Road on I-15 between Las Vegas and Barstow

[​IMG]
    Prius PHEV - As I type from Barstow McDonalds - 441 miles at 64 mpg and 59 mph.​

Vegas at rush hour was 30-minutes wasted and there is a 20 + mph headwind that appeared about 90 minutes ago. I hope it lets up a little by the time I leave to complete the drive to San Diego tonight.

Wayne

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  17. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

They look similar to the ones on the 2012. Alloy wheels. I like them,
    too.

Bill

18. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Wayne,

That is the reason I always keep a 5 gallon Eagle safety gas can in the trunk of the Volvo when I travel. Hey Sh** happens as they say. I got the idea when one of the guys over on the Prius board was pointing out that he kept a one gallon plastic gas can in the side pocket under the rear floor. That plastic unit he has pretty much fits perfectly in the pocket.

How safe it is using a plastic can in that location is debatable.

Plus when you're looking at a difference in gas prices between SC and Naples Fl. of sixty seven cents. That extra five gallons that gets dumped in the gas tank along the way is a savings of $3.35.

Al

19. bestmapman

Your putting up some nice highway numbers Wayne. Can't wait for you to do a detailed write up on what highway differences are.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  20. herm

herm Well-Known Member

You dont smell the gas?