IMA Battery Pack

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by HCH2007, Mar 20, 2013.

1. HCH2007

HCH2007 Journeyman Hypermiler

Hoping someone can help me out. I am trying to fine a used battery pack for my 2007 HCH. I have tried searching the internet and the only used battery I can find is for older vehicles, or new packs which I don't want to pay the money for.

I plan on reconditioning the used unit and then install it in my car and then recondition mine for a spare. It takes a month to follow the procedure posted here http://www.homepower.com/articles/rebuilding-hybrid-vehicle-battery-pack I don't want to put my car out of service for a month since it is my ride to work, that is why I want to buy a used pack.

On a different note, when I use the A/C the car shudders and the RPMs jump from 1,600 to 3,000 and back and forth. I checked the car while parked and when the RPMs go to 3K the compressor engages and the cooling fans come on, when it drops back down both go off. The car was recently repaired after another car ran a red light and hit my car while my wife, daughter and 3 grandchildren were going shopping The A/C condenser had to be replaced along with the radiator, plus the body repair. We also have a noise that sounds a bit like the CV joint on the opposite side from the collision. It only happens while accelerating or the cruise is on, when my foot is off the accelerator there is no noise.

Thank you anyone who has any thoughts about this post.

2. mmrmnhrm

mmrmnhrm Well-Known Member

Check junk yards for a battery pack, that's probably your best bet.

3. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

I can't think of the name of it at the moment, but there is a huge import salvage yard on the southside of Indianapolis, IN that may have something.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Member

You might see if AutoBeYours (in Indiana) has a line on a used pack.
    http://www.autobeyours.com/
    812-820-5050

The are known for Prius work, but hopefully they can point you in the right direct for your HCH II.

5. HCH2007

Thank you all, junk yards were the first place I checked and here in the Charleston, SC area they had no hybrids at all. One other option I'm considering is building my own battery pack with these batteries here http://www.zbattery.com/Powerizer-NiMH-D-Cell-10-000mAh-1-2V-Battery-w-solder-tabs they have 30% more capacity then the ones in the Honda OEM pack. Also, sice heat is one of the problems with the OEM set I am working on a way to minimize all the heat retaining asspects of the pack, such as the plastic case the cells are inclosed in.

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Member

Stop!
    Danger!

These will not work!
    Capacity is only one consideration.
    Not all D cells are the same. The Civic dumps way more amps in charging and discharging than cells like this can ever handle.

Will they explode? Possibly?
    Will it damage them? Yes.

There are many other reasons why this won't work, but that's a few things off the top of my head.

7. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I doubt those cells would work, but they might come in handy for the large "club-o-death" Maglight I keep by my bed.. yes the duracells last for years since it has an LED bulb. Its odd that I dont keep a loaded pistol handy.

8. HCH2007

Well, considering that these cells are industrial brand, designed for use in battery packs and that the available voltage and amperage will be an exact match, I think that they will work just fine. Also considering the modifications I plan to cool the pack more efficiently there should be no problems. I know we have other electricians and engineers on this forum, hopefully you will have some input to this discussion.

9. HCH2007

Msirach, did you ever think of that import salvage yards in Indianapolis' name?

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

He was referring to AutoBeYours that EricBecky posted the contact for.

11. herm

herm Well-Known Member

all junkyards, excuse me used auto parts stores, are on a nationwide database of some sort to find parts.. probably some secret web page or BBS, just ask nicely and they will search if for you but be aware you may want to buy new depending on how much they charge.

12. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Searching thru Ebay a lot of battery saver voltage stabilizers crap devices are on sale.. I guess this is a box with some hefty capacitors in it for the "smart" owner to buy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-B...c|Submodel:Hybrid&hash=item3cd00f6d36&vxp=mtr

"You Receive in this Auction: 1 Hyper Voltage Stabilizer with cables
    Item is 100% New, Never used.
    Increases HP/Torque
    Improves Throttle response.
    Improves audio quality
    Leads to longer battery life.
    Improves fuel efficiency
    Helps with headlight flicker.
    Aids in ignition flow. Helps with starting.
    Product does not come with installation instructions, please refer to a shop/factory manual for installation."

13. herm

herm Well-Known Member

14. HCH2007

Thank you. What search terms did you use? Ebay was the first place I checked for the packs.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  15. ericbecky

ericbecky Member

The first listing is $1,400 obo for a USED pack.

The second listing shows $1,100, also for a USED pack and is only for local pick up in California.

Although none are listed on ebay, I can tell you it is ~$2,500 for a NEW pack with 2 year warranty from an independent shop.

I can't imagine what dealers charge. (?3 or 4 thousand?)

And getting back to the batteries you mentioned.
    I have not found the spec sheet, but I saw postings saying standard discharge rate is only 10 amps. Max amp rating is a only 30 amp continuous. This will not cut it for use in a hybrid car application.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  16. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I dont remember but probably Civic Hybrid 2007 battery, ebay does not have a good search system, the simpler you keep it the better.. they should hire Google. You can further refine your search afterwards such as used, new, auction, buy now etc.. dont be afraid to try an older browser (non-html5, disable flash), they usually give a clearer result without all the newfangled crap.

17. herm

herm Well-Known Member

18. ericbecky

ericbecky Member

First, none of the solutions you found are for fixing a 2007 Civic hybrid

Although the 2007 packs are made with sticks, it is a different amount of sticks and in a different configuration than previous years.

I can make new packs for people, including a 2007 Civic, but as I said before, it is more expensive than used packs.

19. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Eric I have nothing to do with those ebay sellers, I'm sure you can do a much better job, faster and cheaper..

Do you use chinese cells?, what brand?

20. ericbecky

ericbecky Member

The cells are manufactured in Asia for use in hybrid cars.