WA state lawmaker defends bike tax, says bicycling is not good for the environment

Discussion in 'General' started by xcel, Mar 8, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Oh boy is this an interesting back and forth…

Tom Fucoloro – Seattle bike blog - Mar. 2, 2013

Representative Ed Orcutt (R – Kalama) does not think bicycling is environmentally friendly because the activity causes cyclists to have “an increased heart rate and respiration.”

This is according to comments he made in an email to a constituent who questioned the wisdom of a new bike tax the legislature is considering as part of a large transportation package.

We spoke with Rep. Orcutt to confirm the email’s authenticity and to get further clarification.

“You would be giving off more CO2 if you are riding a bike than driving in a car,” he said. However, he said he had not “done any analysis” of the difference in CO2 from a person on a bike compared to the engine of a car (others have).

“You can’t just say that there’s no pollution as a result of riding a bicycle.” …[rm]http://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2013/03/02/state-lawmaker-says-bicycling-is-not-good-for-the-environment-should-be-taxed/[/rm]

2. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Re: WA state lawmaker defends bike tax, says bicycling is not good for the environmen

If you're a legislator and wear clothes, you either need to get them washed and dried or dry cleaned. Both processes require electricity, which leads to increased emissions and global warming. He needs to come to work naked to show his commitment to the environment.

3. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Re: WA state lawmaker defends bike tax, says bicycling is not good for the environmen

Some people still fail to understand that respiration doesn't add co2 to the atmosphere.

Or fail to want to understand, by choice.:rolleyes:

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Ignorance is bliss?
    Geez.

5. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Some people dont care about CO2, but bikers should pay for their fair share of the road network, maybe get extra insurance also.. darn smug skinny people :)

6. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Buy all the insurance you want, herm. I'll do the same.

7. herm

herm Well-Known Member

How about indigent bikers that get hurt, who pays for that skinny ass and all?

8. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

You've identified the world's major problem: indigent bikers getting hurt.

9. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

How does this guy have a job . . ANY job . . let alone one that involves writing laws?!?!

10. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

For heaven's sake people, STOP EXERCISING! You are polluting! (Unless of course, like many Americans you DRIVE to the gym ... yeah, just keep that oxymoron going).

Seriously though, to herm's point the vast majority of cyclists own and drive cars, have vehicle insurance and pay the same taxes as everyone else. When I choose to get on a bike instead of driving, I contribute less to traffic and wear and tear on the roads, environmental impacts and long-term health insurance costs.

In other words, YOU should be paying ME for my cycling, not the other way around. If you see me on the road on my bike, just be thankful I'm not another car in front of you at the next light, because otherwise that's exactly where I'd be. Cyclists already save the government money, and to boot cycling infrastructure is cheaper than car infrastructure on a per-user basis. My city has saved a fortune in motorized-infrastructure costs by spending a few million on bike lanes, drastically reducing the traffic pressure on existing roads by pulling many thousands of drivers OUT of their cars every single day. It's one of the (several) major reasons Portland is about the only major US city that has held to 1990 levels of CO2 generation.

This "pay their fair share" meme has been going around for decades but has been amplified over the last few months, and we need to put a stake through its fraudulent heart right now.

11. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

surprised the legislator didn't lead with "a Hummer is greener than a bicycle."

12. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Yes, all those heavy bikes beating up on the poor defenseless roads...

And drivers have to hold their breath for the entire drive!