Toyota Motivated to Match 2012 Prius Plug-In Sales; Defends Discounting

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Mar 4, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]The auto maker is offering up to a $6,500 rebate on a new Prius plug-in as it seeks to match competitors’ deals.

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2012_Prius_PHEV1.jpg[/fimg]Christie Schweinsberg - WardsAuto - Mar. 4, 2013

This makes it less expensive than a Prius liftback in some locales!

2013 Toyota Prius PHEV-11 -- $32,000 to start and a 51/49/50 mpgUS city/highway/combined rating makes it “more” efficient than the non PHEV while on or off the plug. And less costly if you live in NY! -- Ed.

Toyota wants to sell 12,000-13,000 Prius plug-in hybrid-electric vehicles in the U.S. this year to remain competitive with plug-in and EV competitors, Toyota Div. Group Vice President Bill Fay says.

The auto maker delivered 12,750 Prius PHEVs last year, WardsAuto data shows, besting higher-profile models such as the Nissan Leaf and Mitsubishi i, yet falling shy of the 23,461 Chevy Volts sold in 2012.

Deals on the Prius PHEV, which went on sale here in spring 2012, have been abundant. Fay says incentives are necessary because the car is in a competitive niche segment…

… For example, car buyers in the Manhattan 10036 zip-code area can receive a $6,500 discount on a ’12 or '13 Prius plug-in Advanced, or $4,650 off a '12 or ’13 base model. That compares with a $500 rebate for the ’12 Prius hybrid and Prius V and no cash back on the ’12 Prius C and Toyota RAV4 EV…

The ’13 Prius plug-in base model can be leased for $229 a month for 36 months until April 1, and lessees are eligible for $4,650 bonus cash, according to buyatoyota.com, the website of U.S. Toyota dealer associations... [rm]http://wardsauto.com/sales-amp-marketing/toyota-motivated-match-2012-prius-plug-sales-defends-discounting[/rm]

Toyota Prius PHEV-11 prototype driven locally

[​IMG]
    I was fortunate to drive this prototype back in early 2011. At this price, I am making calls ;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

My dealer has said they can order one for me. But that sounds like MSRP to me.
    Wish TMC would open up the rest of America to PiP sales.
    After tax season, I will try to get past the gauntlet of young buck salesmen in the parking lot and investigate.

3. xcel

Hi Ksstathead:

I am working my side of the fence on this one too. I hope it is not MSRP minus the $6,500 deal as I was hoping for more along the lines of $31K - $4,750 Rebate - $2,500 TC for $23k +. Marian lives in CA so there are even more benefits but it sounds like the $6,500 deal is for East Coaster's buying the Advanced only? Trying to swing this in any case with a possible CA title even if I have to pay the higher sales tax in CA for it.

Wayne

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

^ Whatever that means... Kind of like "flag ship vehicle"? That's one that was laid on me when I was trying to get steel rims for snows on our reg Prius (ended up using Corolla rims).

If the plug-in is selling at or below regular Prius levels, something is wrong, somewhere.

I'm not sure that I'm a typical consumer, but between it being mark 1, the lack of a spare, and the premium (up 'till now), I'd wait. I know there's a lot of Plug-In owners that are happy with their choice, but maybe they lean more towards the "early adopter segement".

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  5. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Not willing to pay premium early adopter price, but I can live without a spare between a portable pump, plug kit, free roadside assistance, and then auto club towing. Buy a rim/tire and take it with me if I'll be out of cell range.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

When they were offering the $4.5k earlier dealers were exporting to other states so I'd guess it's available to all, just pay to ship.

If I were Prius-hunting I'd be hunting a discounted plug-in.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  7. herm

herm Well-Known Member

It weak sauce electric, only 11 miles!

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

But it's an effective 11 miles. Think of it as dramatically improving on the warm-up miles and short trips.

Maybe in 10 years a 10 mile PHEV won't cut it, but for now the only problem with the PiP is the excessive price.

9. xcel

Hi Herm:

The deal with the Prius PHEV-11 is exactly as INATM stated. It is not meant to keep you all-electric for all of your daily grind and because of it, the FE is fantastic, it is still affordable and removes the hit from those really short trips.

Here is the kicker with this one. You could purchase a Prius package 3 for $25,765 or you could purchase a Prius PHEV-11 (package 3) for $23,000 + the sales tax difference on the original $32,000 if you paid sticker.

Prius, $25,765, Prius PHEV-11, $23,000. Yeah, I’ll take the PHEV please.

Wayne

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Think of how much you would dramatically improve your warm-up miles and short trips with a Leaf, and its cheaper to boot. Heck you guys could easily get 180 miles out of one, perhaps more. Borrow back the gas guzzler from Junior for long trips.

11. xcel

Hi Herm:

The second insurance payment alone takes a LEAF off the table.

Wayne

12. jeffdavis

jeffdavis Lurker

Wayne, interesting you mentioned the insurance on the Leaf. What are some ballpark Prius insurance figures vs. Leaf figures?

13. xcel

Hi Jeff:

My parents pay $650/year for their Prius v. Herm posted something a few weeks back that the LEAF was more than double the average car but I have no specifics.

Wayne

14. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Good point, and lets not mention depreciation*. I think the insurance issues are due to the aluminum skin panels, but that went away with the new 2013.. I hope. There have some anecdotal reports of abuses, such as charging several thousand $$ to drop the battery pack prior to baking the paint after a repair.. that should only be a couple of labor hours.

* we should all be driving 2 year old used Corollas

15. wick1ert

wick1ert Well-Known Member

Insurance costs can vary so widely that it's insane. I still have full coverage on my soon to be 4 yr old Prius-3 (ok, so it was III then, I think). I'm paying $83ish a month, but I'm sure that would drop a good bit if I got rid of collision. It's still worth enough value wise that I feel like the collision is still a good idea.

I may have to call my local Toyota dealer and see what their prices are. I'm just worried I might only get $15k or so for my trade, which means $8-10k financed, which I don't want to do right now as I'm trying to lower my current debt levels to be basically none other than mortgage in the next couple years.

16. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Let us know if you can get the rebate. I looked earlier and didn't find any Toyota CA incentives other than lease or 0% interest (besides the $1500 CA). Actually rather seeing lowest price of $33K so then it's more like $29K.

UPDATE : The Toyota of Manhattan site does list the 2012 incentive: http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/...code=31138&series=Prius Plug In&incentiveId=#. That sounds like a terrific deal although they don't have any 2012 in stock.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  17. xcel

Hi Luke:

Heading over to CarMax for an appraisal on the 05 Accord EX-L w/ NAVI and 128K on the clock for a trade on the Prius PHEV-11 on the East Coast.

CarMax dealer out there has 3 13's in stock and one for $32,368 (white paint, mats and D&H) which is $1,047 under MSRP. With the $4,650 off and $2,500 TC + $2,265 in IL sales tax, it nets out at a touch over $27,733. Some of that Sales Tax will be reduced by the TIV but most of the time; the TIV + ST differential is much lower than selling outright as most of us have experienced.

We'll have to see how it pans out later this afternoon.

Wayne

18. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Wow going Prius Plug In huh? Would have loved to see you behind the wheel of a C though hehe

19. xcel

Hi PriusCpilot:

I would love the Prius c-3 but a PHEV at this price is tough to pass up on.

Since you are an LA citizen, what kind of registration do you have out there? Marian told me you have an 8% sales tax so I will be registering it under her name and grab the CA $1,500 rebate on it as well. About the HOV Lane access, does the upfront cost continue year after year or is it a onetime purchase and place the stickers on the side?

Now it looks like I may be buying all three as Marian and my daughter want one too??? WTF is going on around here!!!

Wayne

20. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

I would love to have one of these, but it doesn't have a spare tire.

The whole point of getting a PHEV instead of a BEV is so you can leave town with it. I'm sure as hell not leaving town without a spare tire in the trunk!