Over 400K miles on original Prius Brakes?

Discussion in 'General' started by greendriver, Mar 4, 2013.

1. greendriver

greendriver Well-Known Member

A while back I asked our parts deliver guy how he liked his Prius. He said he's put over 400k on it and loves it. I asked him if he had to change the batteries yet. He said not only has he not changed the batteries, he hasn't changed the brakes.

Comments?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    xcel likes this.
  2. 2RR2NV

2RR2NV Ultimate Newbie

if i was parts delivery, i'd be all over a prius and deal with it's interior. :mad:

xcel likes this.
  3. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

That is really hard to believe 400K with out having to change the brakes.

I asked the head mechanic at my dealer how long I should expect the brakes to last on my Prius. He said because of the regenerative braking, around 70k-80K miles. He then added this remark that the reason for the needed replacement was due to the rotors rusting because of age and the elements, not brake pad wear. So based on that philosophy I should get at least eight to nine years or more from the original pads on my Gen III

How close is that dealer to the Gulf of Mexico?

xcel likes this.
  4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I had 100k on my pads when I traded in my Civic. It doesn't have regenerative brakes, and part of that time was pre-hypermiling so I used them more. I can believe 200k in a Prius, not sure about 400k.

xcel likes this.
  5. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

I am at 125k on my Gen III and at the last dealer oil change they said I had 90% of the brake pads left.

xcel likes this.
  6. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

I've seen write-ups at 100,000 with pad wear detected only with a gauge. No visible wear.

Approaching 50,000, mine are like new. Use them just a little to keep the rust down.

xcel likes this.
  7. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

The pads on the Prius can last 1 million or more miles and here is how.

If rust is not an issue like here in CA and you ALWAYS try and stay out of friction braking zone on your display. You would be purely using regen to slow down. The few times you may need friction pads would be for more sudden stops.

In this way you can drive for the life of the car without changing pads.

I rarely ever use friction pads with how I drive now.

Also, I have seen a number of posts on priuschat with people reporting 200k & 300k+ on original pads and rotors.

xcel likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

There's more to brake maintenance than just replacing spent pads. OTOH, I do think the Prius brakes lead a "sheltered life". Ours still look like you could eat off them, at a mere 32000~ km's.

xcel likes this.
  9. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

The fact that he is the head mechanic at a dealership throws up an immediate huge red flag.:eyebrow: At nearly 70K on my '07 Prius, the pads look nearly the same as they did when they were new...and there is no rust in sight. Sometime ago, Hobbit, who used to be a regular around here, told of a way to deal with the rust issue: Once a week or so, while at a relatively slow speed, put the car in N and gently apply the brakes. In N there is no regen braking so a light application of the friction brakes at the slow speed does an awesome job of cleaning of the rust. With now radio or blower motor running, you can easily tell when the rust is gone and let off the pedal before pads actually make contact.

xcel likes this.
  10. Bike123

Bike123 Well-Known Member

Only 70,000 to 80,000 miles? I have 184,000 miles on my Saturn (and 20 years this August), with original brakes, and over half the miles were before I started hypermiling! I'm expecting to never replace the Prius' brakes.

xcel likes this.
  11. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

So far, I've been averaging 150,000 miles on the front pads and 330,000 miles on the back pads of the Aerocivic. Brake pad longevity likely due to the use of hypermiling techniques, mostly rural driving, and the low weight of the vehicle.

xcel likes this.
  12. greendriver

greendriver Well-Known Member

Amazing! How many miles do you have on that AeroCivic now basjoos?

xcel likes this.
  13. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

About 590,000 miles

xcel likes this.
  14. 300kmileprius

300kmileprius Well-Known Member

I went 294k in my 2005 prius before changing front pads. 270k for the rears. Prius totalled at 336k.

xcel likes this.
  15. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Were you religiously staying in the regen zone and out of the friction breaking area for most of the 336k?

xcel likes this.
  16. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

It wouldn't be all that hard to stay in the regen zone. I've not driven a Prius C (saw one today in Elkhart, IN by the way:cool:), but in my '07, regen happens all the way down to 7 mph and a stop from that speed would be very easy on the friction brakes.

xcel likes this.
  17. neiman

neiman New Member

I have a 2009 Prius. Can someone please explain what the "regen zone" is and how to monitor it?

xcel likes this.
  18. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'm not at all familiar with a Gen 2 car like your 2009 , neiman. I'm not even sure if my Gen 3 car shows where the regen-only zone ends and the mechanical braking begins. I want to know , also. I will need to study my manual. Maybe someone here with a Gen 2 car can chime in ?

xcel likes this.
  19. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Usually at or near the leftmost edge of the HSI range.

20. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Thanks. I never get that far to the left. Or if I actually DO , I'm watching the road ahead so I don't plow into something ! Sometimes you have to use the brakes. And in the Chicago suburbs , expect the unexpected. You try to create some space in front of you for the inevitable 65-25 MPH that happens on our expressways. At least I try to minimize it to 55-35 MPH if I can. Accelerating to 55 MPH takes a lot of fuel , even in a Prius. It's not something you want to do over and over again.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    BillLin likes this.