2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel… The Numbers Are In

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Feb 7, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]42 mpgUS with the 6-speed AT.

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2014_Chevrolet_Cruze_TD_emblem.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Feb. 6, 2013

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Turbo Diesel (TD) - $25,695 USD including destination, handling, and two-year maintenance plan.

Just hours before the official opening of the 2013 Chicago Auto Show Press Days, GM released the final specs on its much anticipated 2.0L turbo diesel equipped Cruze. This summer the Cruze will host the cleanest turbo diesel passenger car engine General Motors has ever produced.

Built at the same in Lordstown, Ohio manufacturing facility as the current Cruze, the 2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel delivers a combination of segment-leading features and that ever present 46 mpgUS highway rating with an automatic.

The Cruze compact sedan’s new 2.0L turbo-diesel is based on proven architecture already used in European models, where approximately 40 percent of all Cruze models sold feature a diesel engine. The 2.0L turbo-diesel engine produces an estimated 148 hp and whopping 258 lb-ft of torque providing a 0-60 time of just of 8.6 seconds. Peak torque is achieved at 2,000 rpm while the engine has an overboost feature capable of increasing torque to an estimated 280 lb-ft for approximately 10 seconds.

The Chevrolet Cruze TD arrives with a six-speed automatic transmission, four-wheel ABS disc brakes, 3.20 final drive ratio, 140-amp alternator, 800 cold-cranking amps battery, 17-in alloys, ultra-low-rolling resistance all-season tires, rear spoiler, Aero Performance Package and leather-appointed seating.

Other standard features include Chevrolet’s infotainment system MyLink, a two-year maintenance plan, and a five-year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

A lightweight aluminum cylinder head and aluminum intake manifold contribute to the engine’s comparatively low weight of 408 pounds.

Additional highlights include:
    • Dual overhead camshafts with four valves per cylinder and maintenance-free hydraulic lifters with low-friction roller-finger followers
    • Quiet belt-driven cams/valvetrain with high-strength belt material and tensioner rated for 100,000 miles
    • High-strength aluminum pistons with reinforced top ring and integral combustion bowl design
    • Central direct injection, with the injector positioned in the middle of the cylinder, with the bowl in the piston serving as the combustion chamber. This enables a high 16.5:1 compression ratio that enhances power and combustion efficiency
    • Variable-swirl intake manifold design, which optimizes air charge mixture motion in the cylinders for a more-efficient combustion that enhances performance and reduces emissions
    • Common-rail fuel system with Piezo fuel injectors that create multiple injections per combustion for greater performance, combustion efficiency and quietness
    • Variable-nozzle turbocharger that broadens the engine’s torque curve, particularly at low rpm, and supports greater high-rpm horsepower. It is mounted close to the exhaust outlet of the engine for quicker “spool up” of the turbine and faster “light off” of the exhaust catalyst
    • Intercooling system produces a cooler, denser air charge for greater power
    • Piston oil jets that help reduce friction and optimize piston temperature for greater performance and efficiency
    • Turbocharger bearings are oil-lubricated and cooled via an oil cooler
    • Variable-displacement oil pump helps save fuel by optimizing the oil pressure, which reduces friction
    • Vacuum pump designed for lower engine friction
    • Ceramic glow plugs, which provide greater cold-start performance over conventional metal glow plugs (an engine oil heater is offered for cold climates)
    • B20 bio-diesel compatibility
    Quiet performance is enabled by a number of features on and around the engine. There are also sound-absorbing features added to the Cruze diesel itself including a unique dash mat, hood blanket and more.

An exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) control system features a high-capacity cooler and bypass feature that enable the engine to meet US and Canada’s tough diesel emissions regulations. There is also a Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) that includes a diesel particulate filter (DPF) and urea (Diesel Exhaust Fluid or DEF) injection that helps make the 2.0L the cleanest diesel passenger car engine ever provided from GM.

An approximately 4.5-gallon DEF tank in the Cruze TD holds enough fluid to provide at least 10,000 miles of driving between refills. The system is also designed for servicing to coincide with oil changes, for greater convenience.

Now let’s compare the Chevrolet Cruze turbo diesel against its only competitor, the Volkswagen Jetta TDI.

2014 Chevrolet Cruze 2.0L TD Specifications

Attribute2014 Cruze TD with the 6-speed AT2013 Jetta TDI with the 6-speed DSG AT
    Price ($USD)$25,695$24,885
    Displacement (L)2.0L2.0L
    Power (hp)148140
    Torque (lb-ft)258 with peak of 280236
    mpgUS highwayest. 4242
    Turning circle (ft)35.736.4
    Acceleration performance: 0 – 60 mph (sec)8.69.1

Wheelbase (in)105.7104.4
    Overall length (in)181182.2
    Overall width (in)70.770.0
    Overall height (in)58.157.2
    Leg room front/rear (in)42.3/35.441.2/38.1
    Curb weight (lb)34753,162

Passenger volume (cu ft) 94.692.4
    Cargo volume (cu ft)13.315.5
    Fuel capacity (gal)15.614.5
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  2. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Based on the Euro numbers I was actually expecting this to come in with lower mpg than the Jetta. SCR may be what saved them. Tough sell against the Cruze Eco though.
  3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I think a Volt is a better deal
  4. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Diesels usually far exceed the EPA ratings though. The car being allowed to use B20 is a hell of an advantage over VW, who threaten to void your warranty for anything over B5.
  5. Bigspender007

Bigspender007 Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see an american auto maker step into the diesel passenger car realm. Cost of ownership of the VW kills that option quickly, my parents VW TDI drained them at every service and insurance rates are significantly higher than a Chevy. Chevy seems to be backing this up with some good standard options to temp you to consider it and I'm considering it. I will wait to see Canadian pricing and fuel ratings.
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

B20 bio-diesel compatibility?!!??

Is that right? Not just the standard B2? B20 capability in a modern diesel is actually pretty unusual.
  7. bullwinkle428

bullwinkle428 Well-Known Member

The lack of a manual transmission, a long memory regarding GM's history with diesel engines, and the 75-80 cent premium for diesel fuel vs. gasoline are big enough negatives to prevent me from seriously considering this choice. Still think the gas-engine Eco is a better deal in the long run, even considering the POTENTIAL durability of the diesel engine.
  8. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Nice, but it's missing two key ingredients. Stick shift and hatchback / wagon.
  9. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Playing with the numbers the standard Cruze is a much better deal fuel mileage wise over the Diesel version. I ran some numbers using average Pa. fuel costs for 87 and diesel with a 1170 mile highway tri, where you would save a whole $12 with the diesel version. For a seven thousand dollar premium in price it isn't worth the difference for the diesel version.

I like the specs but to the average buyer that additional premium for the diesel option isn't going to make economic sense here in the states. In the EU where diesel sells at or less than gasoline it is something I would take a serious look at.
  10. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Did you compare it to a stripper with the 1.8L?
  11. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

It may do alright in Canada if the price is right.
  12. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I ran the numbers for an $18K standard 1.8L 36 mpg highway Cruze. The LS versions are running between 17K- to just over $19K on AutoTrader. I didn't use the cheap LT version for comparison.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  13. herm

herm Well-Known Member

For about the same money you can get a Passat, but with a stick shift
  14. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

That's a lot of extra weight up front.

The regular Cruze does not handle big bumps well, imo. Throw in an extra 325+ lbs or so and I think GM's gonna hear some complaints unless they worked over the front suspension in a major way. (the 17's will help, but....)

/ too expensive. Should have been about a $2,500 upgrade for the diesel. We'll see what they end up selling for.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  15. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Wow what a fat girl at near 3500lbs! Having a iron engine does not help!

I rather wait for the Mazda 3 Sky-D but under no circumstance would I buy a VW product.

In the long run you will have much high costs with the repairs and headaches of a VW
  16. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

WHAT, no MT? And $26k? Sorry GM, but VW can get away with charging a premium because they're an import brand known for their semi-luxury interiors. Chevy is a value brand with a reliability reputation that is historically not a lot better than VW (although in fairness, at least parts are cheaper).

Are they kidding us? This seems like another idea botched by GM that they can later claim doesn't work because no one liked it*. Very few people will buy a midpack American compact at that price, and years from now GM can say "hey, we tried offering a diesel compact back in 2013, but no one bought it!" Boo hoo!

* See also: late 80s implementation of mandatory passive restraints by attaching seatbelts to the door. 1990s DRLs that use a dimmed high beam, still aimed too high and blinding everyone else on the road. Over-complex, overpriced "two-mode" hybrids that have only sold in very trickling numbers.

Given that TDI Golfs can be had for around $22k, unless you live in a part of the country where it's difficult to obtain VW parts and service (see also: my wife's and my Dakotas experience last summer), what is the point of spending thousands more on a Cruze diesel?
  17. herm

herm Well-Known Member

At least now they have a certified engine that can be used in other cars.. Equinox Diesel anyone?, Malibu?.. dare I say the new 2013 Colorado if we get it?
  18. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

I agree. It also comes with an excess of two ingredients: $$ and lbs.
  19. SoSlo

SoSlo Well-Known Member

The Volt has been good for me. With my L2 EVSE at home it has become much more convenient. It is good that Cleanmpg has been positive towards the Volt. It fits my short commutes but will still takeme far down the road if needed
  20. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

Wonder what it costs to refill the urea tank every oil change (do you get the first 3 years worth 'free') ?