2013 Honda CBR500R

Discussion in 'Street and Performance Bikes' started by beatr911, Jan 28, 2013.

1. beatr911

beatr911 Tightwad

Honda appears to be going all out, pulling out all the stops, going balls to the walls to appeal to the masses. First the NC700, then the CBR250R, both versatile and very fuel efficient. Now, the 2013 CBR500R looks like a very worthy fuel miser, value priced and a hoot to ride everyday.

This link has the best information I've found on the 'net so far:

http://www.houseofjapan.com/auto-moto/2013-honda-cbr500r

It projects 75mpg, mid 50s horsepower and several accessories to increase the day to day usefulness right outta the box! Oh, and it looks really sweet in red.

I thought the Ninja 300 was going to be the deal for my high speed long commute, then I learned about this 500. Now I'm in lust.

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Re: Cbr500r

Hi Beatr911:

Is this the one you are interested in?

The all-new 2013 Honda CBR500R redefines the middleweight class and infuses a whole new level of excitement for sport riders in search of value along with fun.

The CBR500R delivers plenty of performance, including riders moving up from the sporting, entry-level Honda CBR250R, as well as more experienced riders who will appreciate the CBR500R’s light and nimble handling. A modern, torquey 500cc parallel-twin DOHC engine that’s wrapped in a great-handling chassis featuring a full fairing spawned from Honda’s much-acclaimed CBR600RR and CBR1000RR sportbikes make it a great performer.

The aerodynamic bodywork also provides significant advantages in air management for added rider comfort, along with a low drag coefficient and effective engine cooling. A sophisticated chassis with Pro-Link single-shock rear suspension, stout 41mm fork, sporting 17-inch wheels and a 320mm wave-style front disc brake and 240mm rear disc help round out a package that looks as good as it rolls.

[​IMG]

2013 Honda CBR500R Features
    • Sportbike riding position keeps the rider balanced in a dynamic seating stance that’s "supposed to be" comfortable yet efficient.

• All-new 500cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin DOHC engine producing a broad power spread.

• Four-valve cylinder head design using lightweight rocker-arm valve actuation with shim-type valve adjustment.

• Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) ensures the correct fuel mixture for the existing riding and atmospheric conditions to provide a crisp throttle response over a wide range conditions.

• Engine counterbalancer and 180-degree crankpin reduce engine vibration for superior rider comfort.

• Preloaded, scissors-type gears for the primary drive and engine counterbalancer gears help reduce engine noise.

• Diamond-shaped 35mm steel tube frame is lightweight and rigid for responsive sport handling.

• Large 41mm front fork with 4.3 inches of travel (a bit short up front) returns a plush yet controlled ride.

• Sophisticated Pro-Link single-shock rear suspension offers nine-stage spring preload adjustability and 4.7 inches (a bit short behind as well) of travel.

• Lightweight cast aluminum wheels, 120/70-17 in front and 160/60-17 rear.

• Front 320mm wave-style disc brake and 240mm rear provide strong stopping power.

• ABS version available for enhanced braking characteristics in less than ideal conditions.

• Instrument display features speedometer, tachometer, odometer/A&B tripmeters, fuel gauge, clock, instant and average fuel consumption.

• Modest 30.9-inch seat height.

• Standard model available in Black, Pearl White/Blue/Red or Red. ABS model available in Red.

• Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

They have two other 500 variants. The CB500F is a naked bike, for those who like that sort of thing. The CB500X is sort of an adventure bike , and has a little higher seat , which I like.
    It looks like it is only available in a dark grey , which looks cool , but more likely to get you killed.
    Anyone of the the three would be sweet !

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

Or how 'bout............. the Honda NC700X , with it's way-undersquare 670cc parallel twin ?
    Honda rates it at only 64 MPG , but in the right hands , who knows ? The 500cc bikes don't have fuel economy numbers published yet. It's nice to see an interest in making motorcycles more fuel-efficient. Now people need to BUY them.

5. alvaro84

alvaro84 Homura-chan's selfishness

Yeah, I tried to find one at Fuelly yesterday (they have lots of CBR250 and NC700 logs), but there was none so far.

Other than that, I'm curious too. It seems they (all new 500cc models) lack the very practical luggage compartment of the NC700 that makes it a great workhorse, but at least they're a bit lighter. I've just looked up CB500F and X data (aerodynamics is a nice thing, but I surely wouldn't like the CBR's sporty position on longer trips :eek:), and they're only a little bit heavier than my Teresa.

And they have FCD... very nice... very nice.

6. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

Honda's motorcycles seem to be a bit heavy , but their website shows the weight with all fluids including a full tank of fuel. I'm not afraid of a bit of weight (my GS1000 was 507 lbs dry ) but I think the lighter the bike , the better for my typical commute with many stops.
    The CRF250L is 320 lbs and not very aerodynamic , but I'm not likely to go over 50 MPH.
    The 500's would be very nice , but the 250 would be better for me.

8. alvaro84

I compared the full weights, of course. I have another reason to long for lighter bikes: we basically live off-road, on a hill. I want a bike that's easy to handle even when I'm off the saddle and can push it uphills, on dirt roads and grass, if I have to. I also want my feet reach the ground on uneven surfaces (at least flat foot on a flat road) - that's why NC700X is too tall for me, and the CRF250L looks even taller. CB500X has a lower seat, though.

Other than that, I'd like to try a little (KTM) Duke too. Even a 125 might be enough on my commute, and it's said to be a fun little beast. It needs a top case (and I know someone who'd kill me for attaching a top case on such a bike... bad for him, tolerance is the way to conserve your nerves) and you'll get a tiny commuter with FCD. And probably good FE, I've seen >100mpg logs @ fuelly.

It's not too apt for 2-up rides, though, and the seat isn't too comfortable (can be limiting on road trips), so it couldn't easily be a primary vehicle for me.

9. alvaro84

Seems very inaccurate to me :( Has data from very different sources.

10. beatr911

beatr911 Tightwad

Wayne, that's the baby. I like the R best because the seating position is still pretty upright but looks like it has enough forward lean to counteract freeway speed wind. One thing I would change would be lower/farther forward footpegs maybe.

An early mpg figure from one of the first 12 deliveries in Thailand stated about 62mpg. This really means nothing though until we get more riders and more tank fills.

:Banane41:

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

If I was still doing long high-speed trips , the CBR500R would be best for me. The last time I did one of those , I was 19 years younger and did 1000 miles in one day. Today , I just wanna get to work efficiently and maybe do a 40 mile putt on Sunday morning. 50 MPH is as fast as I need to go. Been there ,done that.