Another Stop Safely Now Thread...

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by 08EscapeHybrid, Jan 27, 2013.

1. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

WEll, I took my first road trip in the FEH today. Drove from Northern Virginia to Daytona, FL. Temperatures on this trip ranged from 15F to 75F. About 12 hours, 725 miles into the trip, I was going 70 MPH on the Jacksonville Beltway, and I hear BEEEEEEP! Look down and see the dreaded red triangle and STOP SAFELY NOW. Power immediately dropped, and since I was in the right lane anyway, it was easy to pull over and stop. Battery Temp was 89F, SOC was 53%. Engine temp was 195F. I could not see anything wrong with any of the parameters I could check with my Scangauge, so I shut it off, and immediately restarted. Started up normal, no more SSN message, and I went the last ~150 miles without incident.

I'm on vacation, so I don't have much time to mess with it. What's everyone's thoughts? Oh, and its an 08 with ~68,000 miles.

2. herm

herm Well-Known Member

4 quarts low on oil?

3. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

No, the oil is fine, LOL. And when the CHECK GAUGES light came on when I was making a similar trip in my K1500, it was only THREE quarts low on oil... (The leaking gasket has since been replaced)

4. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd suspect there is a sensor starting to go. That is why when you restarted the car everything was fine. Cars do warn you today more than they use to in the past. Keep an eye on it and hopefully it was just a software glitch that triggered the light.

I had an intermittent AC problem for two years in my Volvo that no one could find. Finally the AC died completely and my mechanic found it in minutes, the high pressure sensor had gone bad. It had been failing intermittently so every time it was getting looked at it was working. It wasn't until it totally failed that they could pinpoint the problem.

08EscapeHybrid likes this.
  5. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Sounds like a transient problem (AKA ECM Brain fart) probably due to a bad connection or cracked wire someplace. I'd take it to an auto parts store this afternoon and see if they could scan it for codes that would give you a hint.

Those can be hard to track down in any case. My old Taurus had problems in the ECM data connectors that had to get pretty bad before we found it.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Seems like a poor design decision by Ford. If there's something slightly out of parameters, do you want to freak out your customers, tell them they have to pull off the road? That they're on the edge of catastrophe?

7. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Ford will get the blame either way.. could also be an anti-lock brake failure, stability control etc

8. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I'm starting to think that maybe my MCES pump might be starting to go bad, but I never know it because most of my trips are under 5 miles, and for a majority of the trip I was driving in below freezing temps. I'll keep an eye on it, but it just seems odd that out of the blue, after driving for 12 hours straight, it would do that.

9. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

I had this happen last Spring break on a trip from Ft Walton FL to Louisville KY. We had been driving for 10+ hours and my wife had been driving the last 2 hours at 80 mph :eek: so I attributed it to the abuse ;)

I have not had a repeat of this since, even on a long drive to NC in late July, but we broke that up into 2 days, 7 hours each so it was a little different. How long had you been driving that day when it happened?

10. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I'd say I was 11-12 hours into the trip.

11. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

What was the Motor Electronics Coolant temp? Could also check the motor coil temp and generator coil temp with the ScanGauge. Did you look for DTCs when you got the SSN?

12. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I don't have my scangauge programmed to read the MCES or motor temps... I've never needed to watch them. I will probably try to program those in before I leave to go back home. As far as trying to retrieve codes, I was 12 hours into my trip, and still 2 hours away. I just wanted to get to my destination, not play with the Scangauge on the side of the highway. Also, last time I tried to retrieve DTC's when my blend door failed, I couldn't get anything out of it.

13. Spacers

Spacers New Member

Wow, this is really timely for me! Last year I became the proud owner of a new-to-me 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid and I love it! Until today. I got the "Stop Safely NOW" message this morning, just as I was pulling into a parking space to drop off my daughter at school. 20 minutes later, the car started up fine, the message was gone & warning light was off, so I drove to work. My good friend Google indicates that the MCES pump is usually the culprit for this warning, but I'm curious why the light & message would go off if the pump is going bad? Wouldn't the pump *still* be not working properly? It sounds on this thread that it *might* be something else if the light & message go away. Is there a way to tell if this is the MCES going bad, or some little glitch? Most of my driving is in the city but I'm planning a mountain trip this weekend. Is there anything about the cold or altitude that might make this worse or better? Should I go ahead & have the MCES pump replaced right now? I know it's a pretty easy fix but I have no driveway & I'm not comfortable doing anything under jacks while parked on the street.

Also, a couple of months ago I started getting a "service engine soon" light & message occasionally. It would go out whenever the car was turned off so they could never get a code to show on the reader, and I wasn't about to pay the dealer $200 for a diagnostic visit. My friend Google told me that it was probably the battery vent filter, so I changed that and have never gotten the SES warning again. But now I wonder if these two things might be related? Thanks so much!

14. herm

herm Well-Known Member

the codes are not stored for later retrieval?.. it sounds like you should invest in a code reader

15. Spacers

Spacers New Member

That's what I've been told, that the code clears when the problem is resolved. I even checked out a code reader from Kragen during the SES drama to try to see a code for myself and it showed nothing at all for both days I had it. Turned it in & got my deposit back, and got the SES message the next day. Went back to check the reader out again, by then the light had turned off and the reader showed nothing.

Are you saying the code from this morning should still be "readable"? Is there a different kind of code reader than you'd check out from Kragen or that the guys at Firestone plug in when they service your car? I could easily stop & check one out tonight.

16. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Spacer, I really dont know, but I have heard that critical codes are stored until you disconnect the 12V battery. I wish my truck had an OBD plug..

17. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

The codes will stick around, but some readers won't be able to read codes that are not emission related. Just about any code from the HV battery computer will not register on many low end scanners. I have had the blend door code stay in my FEH for a week after the wrench light went off. During this time the 'status' of the code changed. Most scanners that can read the codes still don't display the status. One or more of the following statuses can be set for a DTC:

Warning lamp illuminated for this code

Warning lamp pending for this code, not illuminated but malfunction detected

Warning lamp was previously illuminated for this code, malfunction not currently detected, code not yet erased

Stored trouble code

Manufacturer specific status

Current code - present at time of request

Maturing/intermittent code - insufficient data to consider as a malfunction

I haven't tried any Kragen scanners. Using a scangauge with xgauges I can usually get codes from any of the modules, as well as their status but not from the SCAN function.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  18. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

So I drove back home last night... Went the first half of the trip with no issues. The Stop Safely Now message came up 5 or 6 times in the last half. In each case, the car would restart and go within a few mins. I'm thinking its the MCES pump. The vehicle has 69,000 miles on it right now, so if the previous owner didn't change the pump, its overdue for a failure. I'll leave it at the Ford dealer when I go back to work in a couple days and let them mess with it. Its covered under my warranty anyway.

19. Tim Schoenfelder

Tim Schoenfelder New Member

I have a 2008 Ford Escape. It will often give me the "Stop Safely Now" alert while driving in traffic at about 30 mpg. It appears to happen when the vehicle is switching between electric and gas. I've found that turning on the air conditioner which keeps the gas engine keeps this issue from arising. Ford checked my MEC pump and said that its the right one. I've never had this issue at highway speeds always around 25-30mph.

What appears especially deadly is that the vehicle has to be stopped, turned off for about 30seconds, then put in park to restart. This isn't a good option in heavy traffic.

xcel likes this.
  20. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

The FEH will start in Neutral, but you have to be coasting over 6 MPH to do it. Under 6 MPH, you need to be in Park. Even though the MECS pump may be the revised model, doesn't mean that it can't fail. Do you have a Scangauge? It would be helpful to know what your electric motor and inverter temps were in diagnosing the issue.

xcel likes this.