New wheels - PaleMelanesian's 2009 Fit

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by PaleMelanesian, Jan 14, 2013.

1. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I'm back!

After years of mumbling about it, I finally upgraded to a new set of wheels.

2009 Honda Fit Sport
    Manual
    44,000 miles
    OEM wheels have been painted black. I like the look.

[​IMG]

Things I gained:
    • AC (especially the defrost function)
    • Radio w/ Ipod support
    • Side airbags front and rear
    • ABS
    • Hatchback!
    • electric power steering that works in FAS
    • quicker steering ration (2.5 vs 3.2) for sportier feel
    • timing chain that doesn't wear out
    • tachometer. No more shifting by feel and sound.

Things I lost:
    • years of memories. With the old car I graduated college, got married, honeymooned, bought a house, brought home three babies, etc.
    • Gear ratios: 5th is 2800 rpm at 60 mph, a bit worse than my old 2500, which was already bad.
    • lost some horizontal cargo space. That's in exchange for double the volume, and a full hatchback-sized fold-flat 2nd row.
    • gained 200 lb of vehicle weight (now 2500), but that's mainly safety gear. I'll take it.
    • 2 mpg epa, but I know it's capable of plenty. And I gained a lot of utility for that.

Things that are the same:
    • 1.5 liter Honda engine vs the old 1.6
    • 5-spd manual transmission
    • White
    • power-to-weight is nearly identical, and so is performance (slow :p)
    • bought from the same Chevrolet dealer as the old one. :p

Updated for more pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Re: New wheels.

Congrats! And glad to see you back after a protracted absence. If anyone can make the Fit sing, it's you, and I am looking forward to seeing what the new car offers in your hands.

3. PaleMelanesian

Mid 50's so far with unfamiliarity, cold, and uncalibrated SG. (set at +8% for default start)

I will be doing more family hauling in this car, so the numbers will be proportionally lower. That's part of the reason. We can (and have already) fit all 5 of us in this car. It's a bit of a jigsaw with three carseats / boosters, but possible.

I'm back for the automotive stuff, in spite of the politics.

4. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Congratulations!.. I'm considering painting my wheels the color of brake pad dust, it will look sharp :)

5. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Nice!!! I came in expecting to see some pictures of lightweight alloy wheels for your Civic. But I like the pictures you posted better :p

6. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Mid 50s is a great start for a car with an EPA of 27/33. Using the Fit as a family hauler will cost some due to the added weight, but just compare to the Odyssey to see the real savings.

For politics, I don't read the threads and don't comment. There is no point in getting involved because it doesn't fit in the mission of the board. If others want to go to those threads and beat each other up, let them do it - it increases board traffic. I am not the only one who is happy to see you again, and I hope to learn and share more as you explore the Fit's capabilities.

7. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back Andrew :D and welcome also to the Fit / Jazz club - we've got two in our household! :D
    Will we see you on the grind / challenges?

I stick to the automotive stuff too ;) - that's why I am here...

8. PaleMelanesian

I'll be in on the grind for sure. We'll see about the challenges.

I've already done:
    License plate relocate. It's now IN the lower grille, for a sleeker look and slight blocking.
    Defrost position AC disable. Now I can turn it on and off at will. Why do they do this?!!
    Pulled the DRL fuse.
    Tires up to 50 psi (51 max sidewall)

9. PaleMelanesian

Exactly. Routes and speeds are also less than ideal with family on board, but I estimate we saved $1.50 on a single town-and-back round trip this weekend.

10. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Andrew, welcome to the club! She's a beauty! I can't wait to see what you can do with it once you have it dialed in!

Since I traded my '97 civic for the Fit, it has become our primary weekend duty family car. It is amazingly versatile. My wife's CRV sits in the driveway a lot now. Family runs hurt my tank averages but helps the the household average by a lot.

I am jealous of the MT . . . should have gone that way, but that decision was made before I converted to Hypermilism. So for now I am doing what I can with the AT.

How did you do the license plate relocate? I like that idea. Do you have picts? Keep us posted on the mods.

Cheers,
    Chris

11. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

WELCOME BACK PALE!!!!!!!:woot:

And now you have also been bitten by the FIT. :cool: Once you get FIT it is hard to shake it :p

You will enjoy it, I know you will.:cool: The Versitility is killer. I just loaded it this weeking with 3 months of recycling material and took it to the recyclers yard across town. It swallowed the whole thing and still had lots of room. Also delievered 54.2 MPG RT.

How did you disable the AC in defrost? I have my selector set just about half way between Defrost/legs and legs. You can her it click when it engages/disengages. It works well to still get air to the windshield but without AC.

Yep, go calls on the DRL, did that soon after I got mine. Air in the tires like that will give a harder ride, but nothing that we all don't put up with here.;) The steering is light. The only issue is the transistion between a rolling start with just the key on (but no ICE yet). It takes a about 30 seconds before the steering is charged enough to allow normal steering as it is electronic. just beware it is very heavy to steer at this time. but after that or durng a normal traveling FAS you would not notice it much at all as it will only be for a few seconds. Beside, it is nothing like the Accord or I am sure the Ody with out powersteering asst.

yes, show us the relocation of the plate. And what do you have in mind for the grill block?

wow now I will see how you will put me in my place.

If you have lost of flat land (wait what am I saying, you live in East Texas :p), even ICE on with a light touch with TPS around 14-16 you will get 60-80 MPGs. in the 35-45 MPH range.

Oh this is going to be sweet.:D

12. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Re: New wheels

Hi Andrew:

How do you like the magic seats :)

Wayne

13. PaleMelanesian

Jason, I was hoping you'd show up here.

Is Fitfreak.net the best forum for these? It seems honda-tech is more like civic-integra-tech.

AC disable - pop out the access panel below the center console / above the cup holders. To the left, coming off the back of the fan direction control knob, is a white plug with 2 wires - one red and one white. Just unplug that. I couldn't get my hand in there, and could barely see it, but a screwdriver helped to pry it out.

I have noticed the steering get heavy during the FAS key-off period, but then it comes back on after the reboot. A little funny in the middle of a turn.

What's your SG calibration? You do heavy p&g, right? Mine should be similar, then.

14. PaleMelanesian

Wayne, the one-touch fold-down action is amazing and easy. Not so easy when you have to remove car seats first.

I'm liking the space under the rear seat, but I miss the space under my front seat. I used to store stuff down there that now goes in the rear - less accessible from the driver's seat. But, there's a gas tank there now.

15. PaleMelanesian

License plate relocate.

Stock:
    [​IMG]

Easy answer: get longer bolts and flip it upside down. That leaves about 1" lapping over the bumper still.
    [​IMG]

Hard answer: set it into the lower grille, drill a few holes in the plastic plate holder and wire-tie or zip-tie it onto the grille cross braces.
    Note that I have a block of foam in there as a spacer to keep the top pushed out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  16. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Andrew:

Great to hear about the one-touch down Magic Seats. It has been a while since I have been in a Fit I almost forgot the one-touch!

Did it arrive with the Bridgestone Turanza EL470s on it? I remember seeing those on another older fuel efficient vehicle somewhere (older Camry Hybrid maybe???). And of course how is their shape in case you need to add some Yokohama AVID Ascend like those on the Prius v or something ;)

And it is great to see you back as I missed your input tremendously!!!

Wayne

17. PaleMelanesian

18. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

I like the number plate relocate Andrew :cool:

I've found it a bit funny on a turn too when switching back on! It has a little wiggle :)

19. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Welcome back Andrew.

20. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Ooo, I like the plate-in-the grill. Cleans up the look! I think I am going to do the same.

Mine came with the Dunlop Sport 7000s. Nice all around tire. Great grip in the dry and wet, marginal in snow but you don't have to worry too much about that! They seem to roll real nice at 50 psi, but I have no other reference point.