ELF - Electric, Light and Fun bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by rfruth, Jan 14, 2013.

1. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

This is one of those things that really needs manufacturing at scale to bring down prices. Aerodynamic and open-sided so it should be stable in cross-winds, right?

I'm planning on buying a more conventional and much cheaper e-bike.

3. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

4 grand isn't too bad for a combo human power / solar power 3 wheeler (kickstarter project) not sure about crosswinds tho

4. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I like this. Great town bike and it gets you out of the weather some-what. H

5. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

A ~30 mile electric range and a 350 pound payload make this a very practical vehicle for many people. At $4,000 it is a very good value. Yes it could be a lot sleeker, and it even could be less expensive - but it is built in the USA by our fellow citizens.

They also make a larger utility model called the TruckIt, that sells for $5,500.

I think the Organic transit company deserve our full support.

6. NeilBlanchard

It is great to see this sort of vehicle coming onto the market. It is a reverse trike model called the Elf and it is built by Organic Transit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqWeYsrfNK8
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

They also have a larger fully enclosed utility trike model called the TruckIt.
    [​IMG]

Organic Transit is now shipping the Elf to their Kickstarter investors, which is great! They ended up raising over $225,000 which is way over their target. Here are some new concept computer models of future Elf's, including a tandem 2 seat design:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here is an article that shows (what I think is) the production Elf:

ELF: Hybrid Solar / Pedal Vehicle by Organic Transit | Ubergizmo

ELF-Organic-Transit-01photo fromELF: Hybrid Solar / Pedal Vehicle by Organic Transit - Ubergizmo

So, about 30 miles of range, and it can be pedaled on the flats. It can charge itself in 7-8 hours sitting in the sunshine, and it doesn't require insurance or a license - and it only costs about $4,000. And you will get in shape and lose weight, too.

Awesome!

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

My Trek mountain bike has way more than 30 miles of range, even with the 60-year-old pilot aboard. And it only cost $400. But , yes, this thing is awesome. I'm going to check it out.

8. NeilBlanchard

Of course, you can pedal the Elf as far as you want to, as well! The 30 miles range can be saved for the uphills, and/or starting up in traffic.