VA Governer declares war on clean deisel and Hybrids with new tax policy

Discussion in 'Legislation' started by fordman50, Jan 11, 2013.

1. fordman50

fordman50 New Member

Bob’s McDonnell’s plan to cut the gas tax, keep diesel tax and fine hybrid users is wrong headed on so many levels that I don’t know where to start.

1. This does not pass basic tax fairness test.
    a. Public policy 101 teaches us that those that consume the good should pay for it. This proposal spreads the road cost to everyone regardless if they use it or paid already for it in another manner.
    b. Double taxes poor that already pay point of service tax for public transportation
    c. Double taxes Cleans Diesel drivers (think VW TDI=55 MPG)
    d. Double taxes Hybrid drivers
    e. Triple taxes the cleanest and emerging TDI hybrids coming out soon

2. This plan is horrible for the environment because has the unintended consequence of promoting gas guzzlers while suppressing cleaner technologies.
    a. Bad for Virginians respiratory health
    b. Bad for Virginia’s sky’s
    c. Bad for the Chesapeake Bay
    d. Bad for global warming.

3. We need to do the opposite of Bob’s plan and RAISE the cost of gas and LOWER the cost of clean diesel.
    a. Doing so is a conservative market driven approach to reducing pollution.
    b. Doing so helps Virginia Businesses by lowering their operating cost as goods and services are mostly fueled by Diesel.
    c. Doing so promotes emerging clean diesel technologies such as TDI, Blue Tech, and Diesel Hybrids.
    d. Doing so promotes cleaner hybrid technologies
    e. Doing so dissuades the use of high polluting SUVs
    f. Doing so promotes car pooling and the use of public transportation with not only cleans our skies but has the added benefit of removing expensive congestion from our highways.
    g. Doing so is fair because the more you use our roads the more you pay its progressive.

It is not socially responsible for Virginia’s Environment. People like me who drive a VW TDI and Hybrid get taxed twice while SUV drivers only pay sales tax. People like my friend Donald Holmes (an urban republican in Richmond) that does even own a car and just pays point of use fees for public transportation will now have to pay increased sales tax to pay for roads they don’t drive on so they get double taxed too. Diesel will now be even more expensive that gas as will Hybrid ownership so we can expect to see more SUVs and more greenhouse gasses in VA with this ill conceived plan while the poor and the environmentally responsible are penalized. If anything gas taxes should be treated like a luxury or sin tax because burning harms us all and that would drive its use down. Conversely clean diesel tax should be lessened to boost the superior technology AND to drive the cost of food and consumer goods down to help the economy. I seriously hope this plan is scrapped, please write your representatives.
    There is a reason why no other states have canned their gas tax, because is a BAD IDEA. Most states and countries are actually INCREASING their gas tax as conservative market driven solution

2. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I dont understand the politics of this.. VA rednecks dont drive diesel trucks?

Ford, diesel is not clean.. ethanol is clean, you can even drink it!

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

herm , the latest survey shows that only 3% of VA rednecks drive diesel trucks. However , 57% of them like to be called "rednecks".

fordman50 , no offense meant. Welcome to this circus we call cleanmpg.com.

4. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

They have been beating the transportation funding dead horse for years now. This is just the latest iteration of our elected representatives trying to raise revenues without loosing their jobs.

5. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Another area where politicians were shortsighted to begin with, same thing is happening with tobacco taxes.

Tax it to discourage consumption, and they are apopleptic when the consumption actually starts to fall!

6. vangonebuy

vangonebuy Well-Known Member

Hey Virginia!!!!!
    Taxes on efficiency don't work.
    These taxes only encourage more efficiency.
    Which, Is good. I thought.

All vehicles will be more efficient years forward.
    A hybrid car, Energystar appliances, LED lights, home insulation all improve a families cashflow.
    And have a payback, better than a savings acct. Much better.
    Better find a way to tax this too.

Since most states are only interested in growing Govt. and control for net gain.
    Efficiency is not a priority. It's apparent in NY. :thumbs_down:

If efficient cars are to be taxed more, Gas guzzlers should be given a credit.
    They pay too much tax, it would seem on a per mile basis.

Why weigh only trucks if its the small light vehicles causing increased losses.
    Weigh them all. :confused:
    Trucks are starting to upgrade on lightweighting. Which will significantly lower road revenue.

Just raise your gas tax Virginia. Don't pick favorites.!
    Don't even think of cutting expenses.

Since my daily commute is a walk to a expensive train.
    They will need to create a sneaker tax
    At which point I will buy sneakers out of state.

7. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Just this past week it was announced that the hybrid "penalty" is going away. I'm not holding my breath for a refund of the penalty tax I paid last year when I renewed my registration though.

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Then they will tax your feet.