02 Civic/12 Accord Guy

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by daved, Dec 24, 2012.

1. daved

daved Member

Hi, I'm a noob - I've sort of inherited a very nice new 2012 Accord, after driving civic's most of my life. I've never been a hypermiler, as my old '97 Civic (5MT) that the Accord is replacing got 30-35 )depending on type of driving), while the 02 EX (4AT) gets 36-41 (once I saw 45 with a tailwind through Indiana). I was a little shocked the first few tanks on the Accord, though I realize it's not broken in, and I managed to get nearly 35 mpg on a long trip in the rain, so it's not terrible. Still, I'm not used to spending so much on gas, so here I am...

I've read and practiced the basics since then with some success: DWL, DWB, PP help a lot. Still mining the wisdom here, so excuse me for posting before completing that, but in the meantime a couple things would be good to know:

1) I'm interested in getting a wifi or bluetooth iFCD to display on my iPhone, since I usually have it on playing tunes, navigating with Google Maps or such anyway. Can anyone recommend one that works well in a Honda (which is using Bluetooth for HandsFree, and USB for audio playback and power - seems like the wifi network is open/unused by either of my cars and their stereos)? Anything to look out for or beware of? Recommendations?

2) Any specific techniques for 8th Gen Accords or 7th Gen Civics with automatic trannies (I've mostly driven the manuals)? E.G. target RPMs and shift point data for DWL?

A little knowledge might save me a lot of trial-and-error, and pay off in the long run.

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Daved:

From my 7th gen with the AT equipped with a scangauge, keep LOD (load) below 50% and IGN (ignition timing) between 30 and 36 and you are running at > 50 mpg. If you are not driving a NAVI, you probably do not have an instantaneous or averaging display so you should consider one ASAP.

IHTHs and welcome to CleanMPG!

Wayne

3. daved

daved Member

You presume correctly... oddly enough this seems the only option NOT on this car (aside from v6). I'd like to get something iPhone based to use in the civic as well. Good to know which params matter, and what to shoot for.

Thanks for getting me started, Wayne!

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Daved:

You are very welcome.

Wayne