HCHII Horn Blows

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by HCHCIN, May 15, 2007.

1. HCHCIN

HCHCIN Well-Known Member

Hey all--

So, not that I ever honk my horn at anyone now that I've adopted a Zen driving style (sure), but occasionally some idiot needs to know he cut me off or did something else to annoy me. Trouble is, the horn in the HCHII sounds more like a party favor than a tool to get someone's attention.

Has anyone swapped out the horn on a newer Civic? Is, say, an Accord or even an Acura horn compatible? I think it'd be fun to put a horn from a Ridgeline in the Civic, really surprise people.

But man the factory Civic horn really sucks. It sounds like it's saying the word "weeeeeeeak!" --RN

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Sounds like the horn I had on my Dad's '70 VW bug for a while before it was replaced. Kinda like the "Ah-WHOO-Gah!" you sometimes hear on old movies from a Model A Ford -- except closer to "beep" (no exclamation point). (Disclaimer -- I've never heard a hybrid driver blow his/her horn so I don't know what any of them sound like)

At the time I was driving that car I toyed with the idea of installing an air horn that sounded like an 18 wheeler just for the fun of watching the cars in front of me swerve when I blew it. I never did it but it gave me the jollies just thinking about it. ;)

3. msantos

msantos Eco Accelerometrist

4. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Pretty much anything made by Hella will do the trick. The air horns make a whole lot of noise but I've heard that the compressor may be a wear item.

5. Sledge

Sledge I like owls with captions

Hella Supertones

6. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

I will check this evening and let you know another "Option" for replacing the Factory Horn/Horns on your HCH II.

Terry (tiger)

I replaced mine on the 1st HCH I that I owned and I am going to do same with my HCH II.

7. ReaLD1214

ReaLD1214 Member

Last year I got some Hella Supertone Horns, cost about $60 or so. They are pretty much the same horns rally cars have over in Europe. Made in Germany and are very well assembled. I love these horns because my stock Civic Horn was so ridiculous, I needed some sort of fanatical upgrade. I believe the stock decibits in my previous horn was around 30 and these horns put out abou 118 db's in sound. I mounted them behind my grill and had to take my bumper off but its been great, next time an SUV cuts you off, you too can enjoy the satisfaction of not only tapping your horn, but holding that down for 10 seconds or more, with pleasure:)

8. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

I don't think I've used my Fit's horn so I don't think I need a more powerful one. A laser cannon aimed out the back window would often come in handy, though. :cool:

9. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

First mod I made to my over rated 8th gen Civic was a horn mod.... Drove it home and put a low tone horn on it... Brand new car... Should have known then what a junker it would be....

Thanks Honda.... Nobody noticed no 8th gen Civics in the fray... And looks like HCHII's arent any better than HCHI's in drivers hands that care...

Screw Civic,,, buy Accord or wish them dead like GM

10. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

When I had my roof rack on, I thought about mounting 300W or so of offroad lights on the rear crossbar. Aimed backwards, with a dashboard pushbutton to activate them.

If my blinkers aren't enough to make the tailgaters go around, maybe they're having trouble seeing them. Just need to use something brighter.:D

Hey psy, I notice you're complaining about your 8G Civic a lot. Other than FE issues, are you having mechanical problems with yours?

11. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

The "yuppie button" is a wiring hack to momentarily light
    the brakes, reverse, and hazards all at once. [Also lights
    front directionals as a side-effect; splitting the fore/aft
    blinker harness would require a lot more work]. In the case
    of the prius, one relay and a few diodes, and a bit of
    searching the wiring diagram to figure out available tap
    points. In the ol' Trooper, a serious wiring hack [including
    the front/back split] and a box of *three* relays -- that
    was the original prototype. No "illegal" non-DOT-rated light
    fixtures, total stealth until you use it, works reasonably well
    modulo the occasional ******* who sees it and simply rides closer
    as some twisted conceptual "revenge". Most people back off
    in a satisfyingly prompt fashion, and only a few need another
    reminder when they drift up again.
    _H*

12. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

:woot:psy,

You really are going to come out and say what you think and stop fooling around and mixing words. :woot:

You sound hear like your really undecided on the purchase of a New Civic, but maybe I have missed something. ;)

Terry

13. greenrider

greenrider Well-Known Member

I could go for a set or Buell air horns like I have a work. They part traffic like the red sea. Too bad, not enough room for a compressor.

14. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

What a waste!!! H

15. cplayer

cplayer Member

I had a friend who added something that sounded like a big rig horn to his motorcycle- would love something like that for my HCHII