2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by DopeEdogg, Nov 26, 2012.

1. DopeEdogg

DopeEdogg Active Member

I just bought a new 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid. :woot: I am new to hybrids and driving techniques to maximize MPG. I took it out for a couple test runs to see how it did, and to get a feel of how/when the EV kicks in.

Here is a small in-town "city" test. I drove about 1.8 miles to my parents house. There is about 6 stop signs/stop lights on this route. But I manages 50.2MPG ! !:eek:

[​IMG]

I decided to do a constant speed MPG test this morning. I drove 29.6 miles, all freeway. I set the cruise control to 62 MPH and turned on eco mode option. I chose 62 MPH because that is the Max speed using just the batteries to maintain speed. And when set at 62, it did a pretty good job. I could see the gauges turn blue with the EV displayed, signifying all electric mode. It went maybe a half mile to a mile at a time in all electric mode, then the gas engine would kick on for a mile or two, then the electric would kick back on for another half mile or so. It pretty much did this the entire drive.

Anyways, I got 47mpg on that trip which is exactly the EPA rating! Not bad for only having 150 total miles on the car!

[​IMG]

2. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Pretty amazing you got 11.4 miles EV out of it.

3. DopeEdogg

DopeEdogg Active Member

I just did another short freeway test. This time I tried a little P&G. This is my first attempt at any hypermiling techniques. I drove on the same freeway as in my previous post, where I recieved a dead-on 47MPG doing 62mph on eco-cruise.

This time I did P&G pulsing to 70mph and gliding to about 55mph. I did see a little improvment by about 2mpg. I hit 48.9mpg ! !

[​IMG]

4. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

DopeEdogg, These are nice numbers that you are getting, but the EPA highway test has a lot of changes in speed making it considerably more aggressive than a flat freeway run.

If you are hitting EPA highway rating doing a steady speed test your car is under-performing expectation. For example, my Honda Fit is rated for 33 EPA Highway and a flat steady-state 65 mph gets about ~42 mpg.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a new C-Max or Fusion, and you should be commended for buying a fuel efficient vehicle. But, your experience appears to support the sense around here that the typical gas-brake-gas-brake driver will not hit EPA and Ford will have to do some back-peddling in the not too distant future.

5. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

Nice work.....and congrats on the new ride.....
    As for the mileage....it will get better overtime....once the car breaks-in.....

PS: Can you post pics for us to see the beauty in the wild?? :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  6. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

Inferring and extrapolating from a very limited sample size gives a biased results.... If we take in the sample of cleanmpg community to extrapolate, it would seem that all cars, in general, do better than suggested EPA numbers...

..So lets wait for more data to trickle in before we declare it a fiasco....

It took H/K 2+years of data to back-paddle with almost a million car sample.... Fusion and C-Max have barely been on sale....so lets wait until we have sufficient sample size over longer period of time than couple of months.....

7. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

The only reason H/K did that was because of a lot of complaints to the EPA. If the EPA hadn't called them out on it, they sticker would be the same as it was.

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

We should probably give Ford the benefit of the doubt on this issue and watch to see what happens. I want to see Ford prosper.

9. Paymaster

Paymaster Well-Known Member

Well, Ford didn't just throw these things on a dyno and call it a day. They drove them. Assuming they drove them like people normally do and on the freeway at realistic speeds they should have seen that most people weren't going to get close to EPA yet they chose to market the crap out of the EPA numbers anyway. So Ford is either incredibly cynical and figured they could get away with it at least for a while or what they saw led them to believe the numbers were achievable. Let's hope it's the latter. You know with the Hyundai/Kia thing though there are already lawyers lining up. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Toyota's sales start getting hurt that they go after Ford as well because if the results so far hold up, the C-MAX doesn't actually get better mileage than the Prius V. I am assuming the Fusion will be similar to the C-MAX's results

As for mine, I mentioned this elsewhere but when I complained to Ford their reply was to wait until 10,000 miles and then see because then it would be fully broken in. I would feel a lot better about Ford if they would actively investigate results like mine(and the ones on Fuelly and virtually every test from various automotive magazines) instead of saying wait until 10,000 miles or blaming the drivers. It will be interesting to see what Consumer Reporst finds. Whatever you think of them what they say get's attention.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  10. some_other_dave

some_other_dave Well-Known Member

Well, it does take a while for the various working parts in the car to get properly worn in. We notice a general trend upward in FE on new cars in part for that reason. We also usually notice an FE drop when new tires are fitted, which then improves as the tires wear in.

So what the said was not that unreasonable, IMHO.

-soD

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Ford and CMax are close in weight but the CMax is taller and less aerodynamic(?) so the Fusion should get better results.

They have 2.0L engines. The Prius v has a smaller 1.8L engine but a similar displacement to weight ratio (with a driver). So it wouldn't be suprising if the Prius v real-world economy matches or exceeds the C Max.

12. DopeEdogg

DopeEdogg Active Member

59 MPG Today - 2013 Fusion hybrid

Today I did another quick in-town mpg test. I Drove to my work which is about 2 miles from my house. There are 6 stop signs/lights on this route. Now this small 2 mile test route may seem really insignificant to most people, but this is a 2 mile route I will be driving everyday. Almost 300 times a year!

Anyways, I got 59.5 MPG. And 1.5 miles (of the 2 miles total) were all on EV mode. So basically i can drive to work everyday mostly on the battery alone, which is really big for me. If you take that savings 300 times a year, it really does save me! ! !

[​IMG]

13. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Nice job on the brake score! :woot:

One of the "issues" we are wrestling with is that these two car hypermile themselves far moreso than any other cars we have seen to date. The 47/47 rate has people around here licking their chops thinking they could hypermile this baby over 60 mpgs on the highway, but it doesn't appear so since the electronics are talking advantage of some of those tricks. Obviously good hypermiling will gain some benefit, but probably not as much as with other less intelligent cars

14. herm

herm Well-Known Member

That is pretty damn good, a 2 mile trip is not even enough to warm up the tires.

15. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Need to know start/end state of charge.

16. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Yes, and net elevation change, if any, too, for the same reason.

17. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

Nice numbers, this car is capable of 60 to 70 easily....:)

18. all_about_the_glide

all_about_the_glide Well-Known Member

1.5 out of 2 in EV = serious battery drain; spending past or future burnt dino juice in the present.

Still great car and results... just not up to the hype.