2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by DopeEdogg, Nov 25, 2012.

1. DopeEdogg

DopeEdogg Active Member

Just Purchased my first Hybrid car. I bought a brand new 2013 ford fusion hybrid on 11/23/12. :woot: I"ve driven it for 2 days now ha ha. So far all is good. I am totally new to all hybrid technology and driving/hypermiling techniques.

When I first rolled out of the dealership, the car had about 23 miles on it and the Avg Lifetime MPG was about 17. :eyebrow: I drove it home about 30 miles from the dealer ship ( all highway) and when I arrived at my house, the new Avg lifetime MPG was about 25. :D
    Today is day 2 of driving, and I drove about another 25 miles just farting around town. Now, the new Avg lifetime MPG is 33.8. The owners manual says it takes a good 3-6 weeks of breaking in the new batteries and motor to get the best possible MPG.
    After 2 days, so far this seems to be the case. Each trip in the car I can see the Avg MPG slowing increasing, especially driving around town. The 2013 Fusion boasts it can travel up to 62 MPH in all electric, and this is TRUE ! ! I can consistantly drive on the freeway at 60 MPH in all electric, and I notice increases in Avg MPG when travelling at 60 MPH and Under, in EV mode that is.

So after 2 days of not too much traveling, I am around 33-34 mpg Avg. The 2013 fusion has an EPA rating of 47/47 MPG, so I am still a little off from that, But hopefully the MPG will keep increasing. I am going to try some hypermiling techniques in the next couple weeks and am excited to see what I can get.

Any questions, comments, are welcomed. ! ! !

Thanks ! ! ! :stickshift:

2. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Congratulations!.. I hope many more people do the same and buy a hybrid. Welcome to the board.

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

A lot of folks here have had great results with their previous-generation FFH. Hope you do , also. I'm looking forward to hearing more stories about your 2013 FFH.

4. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

If it got miles on it, it will show a ridiculously low MPG, I got my 2011 with a 20.9 avg and is now at 52.7 so it will take time but it will get up better numbers, congrats on your buy, you will love it...:D:stickshift:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi DopeEdogg:

Welcome to CleanMPG and you most certainly do have an excellent car and one many of us would love to own and drive as well :)

I did the back calculations on your 2 drives and the first one comes in at 39.11 mpg. That sounds about right for a new car rated at 47 across the board with a new driver behind the wheel. I think you may have too few miles for the second segment of just 25 miles because with a jump from 25 mpg to 33.8 mpg over just 25 miles would be ~ 188.5 mpgUS. If you can provide the actual odometer as it sits in your drive, I can lock that one in.

Back calculating the two drives from when you picked it up, if you have increased your aFCD's display from 17 mpg to 33.8 mpg over those 55 miles, you are averaging a very healthy 57.6 mpg.

You should have trip A/B's to reset for each segment as well so try that your next time out and most of all have fun while skipping the pump again and again and again!

And thanks for purchasing one of the best hybrids currently available for all of our sakes!

Wayne

6. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Can you register on fuelly.com so there will be some data points for your new car? As of right now there is only 1 2013 FFH shown.

7. DopeEdogg

DopeEdogg Active Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes the more I research, I am finding out that a brand new hybrid with low miles doesn't really display correct MPG, ....I have read it takes a good 2,000-3,000 miles yo break in the batteries and motor. But the more I drive the higher my life time AVG MPG goes up. Today I drove to my patents house and back, a total of 1.7 miles, all city, with about 6 stop signs/ stop lights, and I got 50.2 MPG!
    I am still new to all the functions/menus in the car, I am experimenting with the different trip menus and MPG menus. All in all, I love the hybrid so far. Its like a game to try and see how efficient I can drive! Ha ha ha

I took a pic of my MPG menu showing the 50.2MPG

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  8. DopeEdogg

DopeEdogg Active Member

no, Problem THunder!

Just finished signing up on Fuelly! :stickshift:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  9. DopeEdogg

DopeEdogg Active Member

How do you get that " fuelly widget" to display under your reply?

10. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

You'll have to paste into your signature here. Go to fuelly and make sure you are signed in. The first screen you'll see is your dashboard screen. Click on the big graphic of your car. Scroll down a bit, you'll see a row of 5 small icons-RSS, Twitter, Facebook, etc, Click the far right yellow one. On the next page that opens up, copy the text in the first box for forum signature and paste here into your user signature.

11. DopeEdogg

DopeEdogg Active Member

I decided to do a constant speed MPG test this morning. I drove 29.6 miles, all freeway. I set the cruise control to 62 MPH and turned on eco mode option. I chose 62 MPH because that is the Max speed using just the batteries to maintain speed. And when set at 62, it did a pretty good job. I could see the gauges turn blue with the EV displayed, signifying all electric mode. It went maybe a half mile to a mile at a time in all electric mode, then the gas engine would kick on for a mile or two, then the electric would kick back on for another half mile or so. It pretty much did this the entire drive.

Anyways, I got 47mpg on that trip which is exactly the EPA rating! Not bad for only having 150 total miles on the car!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  12. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi DopeEdogg:

It has been a month and how are you doing from fill to fill now?

Wayne

13. aglie

aglie Member

I would reset the mpg gauge. Your initial MPG likely includes some tests done by the dealer at zero mpg (i.e. not moving). You can see similarly skewed low numbers when you take your car in for any extended testing/diagnostics. So yes, you get to see it rise from there, but that average includes something that cannot be classified as "driving".