Borrowed SUV + 18 Year Old = Trouble

Discussion in 'Hero and Jerk of the Day' started by ILAveo, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

I joked "I hope they aren't coming from our place" when we met fire trucks on our road coming home from dinner. When we got closer we saw four or five police cars blocking our corner and our driveway. This was the problem:

Rear view--[​IMG]
    Front view--[​IMG]
    Our smoldering yard--[​IMG]

According to the Sheriff's Deputy an 18 year old driving way too fast in a borrowed 2011 Traverse missed the slight curve before the creek crossing by our property line, hit the creek culvert, did a complete barrel roll and landed in our yard where the car and a good part of our yard caught fire. Kid was lucky he didn't get knocked out or stuck in the car. Car was totally burnt out, battery was a puddle of lead in the yard, one wheel torn off, the other 3 tires burnt/popped, suspension totally unsprung. Had to lend concrete blocks and fence posts to the flat bed driver to crib the SUV up to load on the flat bed with the winch. Cop said he'd never seen a newer car burn like that.

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Rich:

Holy #$%!#$%!#$^

What happened to the young driver? Critical? Stable? Admitted and released?

Hopefully the owner gets smart and purchases something far more fuel efficient and never gives the keys to his son until he has graduated from college!

Wayne

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

stupid is as stupid does. they'll put him in a bigger car next time.

4. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Kid was already gone by the time we got there. The cop didn't sound too concerned. It was "a family friend's car" not his parent's apparently.

5. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Mainly he just needs to learn to slow the **** down.

6. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

Nah, it couldn't be speeds fault.:rolleyes:

I bet he warmed up the excuses faster than the fire under the hood.
    "there was an animal/car in my lane/tire blowout"

7. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. We do have plenty of deer, no skid marks though. If it was a deer, he encountered it after a blind hill that he would've been driving too fast for (just like he would've been too fast to see the slight curve in time.) Speed limit on this road is 55, but the hill crest sight lines probably are unsafe over 30. Another kid died about a mile up the road two years ago in a similar situation when he hit a tree after he went airborn after hitting a culvert.

8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Wow
    On the bright side-flipped a vehicle at what 55mph??
    and just minor injuries???
    Reasonably well built
    something must have slashed the tank- or shredded the fuel lines-some leaked out fire started-ruptured tank??not easy to do-but 55 mph-lotta energy
    You wouldn't think the lines would have more than 10 ounces or so in them??-wouldn't think that could melt the tank??

9. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Wow, you one strict parent. I think I would have to sleep with one eye open if I tried that.

10. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I think the car did its job well..

11. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

It would've been spectacular to watch--It didn't look like it had much, if any ground contact with the roof while it was rolling. The theory I'm going with for the fire is that in all the excitement the oil pan ripped and splashed oil back on the hot exhaust--maybe while the car was flying through the air rolling upside down. The part where the fuel tanks and lines would've been didn't look like they suffered much initial impact and they would've needed a source of ignition. Sort of hard to tell after the car was burnt out like it was.

Edit: My theory about the source of the fire may be wrong. Most of the exhaust system was ripped out of the car when it hit the culvert (it is still on the ground). Still could be oil on the exhaust manifold as the source though.

12. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

This is one of the reasons that we have kept our Saturn Vue. It is the 2.2 with a 5 speed. While it can go over the speed limit, it's going to take a while getting there. That and it's made of Tupperware.