Hyundai/KIA Backpedal on Fuel Economy Claims

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by ALS, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]"I sincerely apologize to all affected Hyundai and Kia customers, and I regret these errors occurred."

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2013_Elantra_GT.jpg[/FIMG]ALS - CleanMPG - Nov 2, 2012

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT with the 6-speed manual will now be rated at 26/37/30 city/highway/combined mpgUS from 27/39/31 city/highway/combined mpgUS previously.

In a prepared release, both Hyundai and Kia are initiating a voluntary program to lower fuel economy ratings on 35 percent of their 2011 and 2013 model year offerings sold through October 31, 2012 by an average of 3 percent. A sampling by the EPA found both manufacturers were posting higher fuel economy estimates on some new vehicle window stickers then should have been and the practice has been ongoing since late 2010. Both companies are in the process of reimbursing current owners of some 900,000 vehicles millions of dollars.

Procedural errors at the automakers’ joint testing operations in Korea led to incorrect fuel economy ratings for select vehicle lines. As part of Hyundai/Kia’s corrective actions, the fuel economy ratings for vehicles currently in showrooms are being voluntarily relabeled. With these changes, the 2012 Hyundai/Kia fleet fuel economy level is reduced by an average of 3 percent – from 27 to 26 MPG.

Dr. W. C. Yang, CTO of Hyundai/Kia R&D:
    Both companies are putting in place a comprehensive reimbursement program for affected current and former vehicle owners to cover the additional fuel costs associated with the fuel economy rating change. Customers will receive a personalized debit card that will reimburse them for their difference in the EPA combined fuel economy rating, based on the fuel price in their area and their own actual miles driven. In addition, as an acknowledgement of the inconvenience this may cause, we will add an extra 15 percent to the reimbursement amount. Current owners will be able to refresh their debit card for as long as they own the vehicle. Prior owners of affected vehicles who have already sold their cars will also be reimbursed using the same formula. For more information about reimbursement and a complete list of eligible vehicles, customers can visit www.HyundaiMPGinfo.com and www.KiaMPGinfo.com.

The fuel economy rating discrepancies are said to have resulted from procedural errors during a process called “coastdown” testing at the companies’ joint testing operations in Korea. Coastdown testing simulates aerodynamic drag, tire rolling resistance and drivetrain frictional losses and provides the technical data used to program the test dynamometers that generate EPA fuel economy ratings. Affected vehicles and their before-and-after EPA estimates shown below.

Since 2000, the EPA said mpg window sticker values have been reduced on just two vehicles, the 2001 Dodge Ram pickup, which fell by 1 mpg, and the 2012 BMW 328i, which fell by 2 mpg highway/1 city.

John Krafcik, president and CEO of Hyundai Motor America:
    Scott McKee, Kia Director of US Public Relations:
    An example of what the reinstatement reimbursement may look like:

Your car was rated at 32 mpg and after 100,000 miles at $3.50/gallon, the total fuel expenditure = $10,937.50
    Your car is now rated at 31 mpg and after 100,000 miles at $3.50/gallon, the total fuel expenditure = $11,290.00

The difference or reimbursement is = $352 + 15% or $404 USD for that vehicle after 100,000 miles. Implementing the program will cost more than the reimbursements themselves more than likely.

All told, this is going to be a tough week for everyone within the Hyundai organization.

As for us, the 2013 Elantra GT with its 6-speed stick is still the most fuel efficient offering for slower speed city. For the superslab, only the Passat TDI, Honda Civic Hybrid, Honda Civic HF, Honda Civic with a stick and "possibly" the Mazda3 can topple it at its maximums.

[​IMG]
    2013 Hyundai Elantra GT with the 6-speed stick. Predictable highway fuel economy and above the EPA at up to 68 mph.​

Expected future fallout

We reported on the BMW 3-series with its 8-speed AT being reduced by 2 mpg highway/1 mpg city earlier this year and it along with the Hyundai/KIA restatements will probably not be the last. I suspect the Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus, Dodge Dart, Ford C-MAX and Chevrolet Malibu ECO lineup could be caught up in the maelstrom given how they have performed in the real world compared to the EPA numbers displayed on their Monroney new car window stickers.

Hyundai Monroney Fuel Economy Restatement List *

[​IMG]

_[​IMG]

_[​IMG]
    * 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid included a 2.4L ICE.

Kia Monroney Fuel Economy Restatement List *

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    * 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid included a 2.4L ICE.​

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
  2. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Re: Hyundai Retreats on Fuel-Economy Claims

this is a huge scandal on Obama's watch!.. Wayne will have to correct about 1000 articles.

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

4. herm

herm Well-Known Member

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Re: Hyundai Backpeadals on Fuel-Economy Claims

Wow, now they have zero 40 mpg vehicles.

6. herm

herm Well-Known Member

"Dealers will check cars' odometers and calculate how much owners might have saved if the cars achieved the promised gas mileage. Hyundai and Kia will add 15 percent to the dollar total and send debit cards to owners. And they will continue to reimburse customers for as long as they own the vehicles."

Hemorrhaging cash for years to come.

7. PaleMelanesian

I've been car shopping. Makes me reconsider my rankings and possibly puts the Mazda3 ahead of the Elantra GT. Still, there's Wayne's AMAZING 137 mpg all-out test result in the GT - I think this is blown a bit out of proportion.

I wonder if the same scrutiny was applied to other makers, what would come out? C-Max stands out as another potential for a downgrade, and the Fiesta and Focus might also.

8. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Ouch. 40mpg for none. (except us, of course! ;))

Somehow I thought the EPA was still conducting these tests, not just defining the procedures and leaving the actual testing up to the automakers on the honor system. Might this scandal spread beyond Hyundai?

Painful to see the GT drop to 26/37, but Wayne still got some fantastic numbers out of it.

Well, at least my Elantra Touring didn't get downgraded from 23/31.

I'd like to also see the new revised numbers for unadjusted combined mpg -- this is the number I actually use in my spreadsheet to calculate my own projected mpg.

9. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Re: Hyundai Backpedals on Fuel-Economy Claims

I realize the Prius doesn't get much love around here, but shouldn't it be included in that list?

Harry

10. PaleMelanesian

2012 Elantra
    EPA: 32 mpg combined
    Fuelly: 31-33 mpg from 160 vehicles.

Where's the problem?

11. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Herm:

31 mpg after 100,000 miles at $3.50/gallon = $11,290.00
    32 mpg after 100,000 miles at $3.50/gallon = $10,937.50

Difference is = $352 USD per vehicle which is less than any rebate. Implementing the program will cost more than the reimbursements themselves more than likely.

Wayne

12. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Huh. Do you suppose we could get Honda to do the same for HCH owners whose vehicles have been underachieving due to ongoing IMA battery/management problems?

13. PaleMelanesian

I doubt it. Unfortunately, Honda seems to reject the first rule of customer service. You know, the one about who's always right.

14. wick1ert

wick1ert Well-Known Member

Given it's likely only the original owners to get reimbursed, I'm guessing it won't be as bad as expected. It's still a continual outflow of cash, but I'm also expecting a lot of owners to be too "busy" to continue to go in to record their odometer and get the work done to re-load their card. My friend purchased an Elantra earlier this year. It went from 33 to 32 combined. At 12k miles a year, he'd use an additional 12 gallons. At $4/gal plus 15%, it's $55.

I could be wrong, but given the laziness of most people and distrust of dealers, they'll never collect. It's a great PR response to a problem, though.

15. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Re-read the story as it has much more detail and some of the questions have been answered within it.

Wayne

16. PaleMelanesian

17. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Interesting. My '02 Elantra got downrated in terms of hp but I never got a reimbursement for that.

18. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

" Coastdown testing simulates aerodynamic drag, tire rolling resistance and drivetrain frictional losses and provides the technical data used to program the test dynamometers that generate EPA fuel economy ratings. "

So there's the fly floating in the EPA testing ointment.

19. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

No surprise here. real life evidence was really stacking up against Hyundai.
    OK, EPA, now put the C-Max under the microscope.

20. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

Re: Hyundai/KIA Backpedal on Fuel-Economy Claims

With a now 26/27 MPG City rating how do you figure? :eyebrow: