2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Pricing, Options and Specifications

Discussion in 'New Automobile Specifications' started by xcel, Oct 31, 2012.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Pricing

Column1Column2Column3
    TrimMSRP ($USD)Hybrid Premium over non-hybrid model ($USD)
    Hybrid XLE Premium$35,555$2,360
    Hybrid XLE Touring MSRP$37,255$1,750
    Hybrid XLE Limited MSRP$41,400$1,750

Destination: $790​

The 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid base trim, the XLE Premium, arrives with the following standard features including:
    • 2-door Smart Key
    • 17” Alloy Wheel
    • Quadrabeam halogen headlights with auto on/off feature
    • Power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade
    • Heated Outer Mirrors
    • Leather -trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with audio, Multi-information Display, and Bluetooth hands-free phone controls
    • IntelliTouch controls for climate control and audio system
    • 6.1” Touch Screen Display Audio, 8 Speakers
    • Leather-trimmed multi-stage heated front seats; 8-way power adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar support; 4-way power adjustable front passenger seat
    • Heated Front Seats
    • Fold-down rear seat with center armrest with cup holders and trunk pass-through
    • Auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass, maplamps and Homelink universal transceiver
    • 3-button Eco Switch (HV)
    • Outer Mirror Turn Signals
    • Power 8-way Driver Seat & 4-way Passenger
    • Resin Scuff Plate Door Sills
    • Dual zone automatic climate control with air filter and rear-seat vents
    • Display Audio - 6.1-in. touch-screen, AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, 8 speakers, auxiliary audio jack, USB port with iPod® connectivity and control, vehicle information with customizable settings, and hands-free phone capability, phone book access and music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology.
    • Backup Camera
    • eBin sliding electronic device holder with wire management feature and illuminated interior storage with [2] 12V auxiliary power outlets, auxiliary audio jack and USB port
    The XLE Touring adds in addition to XLE Premium the following:
    • 3-door Smart Key
    • Display Audio with Navigation and Entune - 9 speakers including amplifier, Sirius XM satellite radio capability (includes 3-month trial subscription to XM Select Package), HD Radio wth iTunes tagging, and advanced voice recognition.
    • Entune — Includes Bing, iHeartRadio, MovieTickets.com, OpenTable and Pandora; real-time info including traffic, weather, fuel prices, sports and stocks. Access to Entune service.
    • Premium Leather
    • Premium Perforated leather-trimmed multi-stage heated and ventilated front seats; 10-way power adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar support and power cushion extension; 8-way power adjustable front passenger seat
    • Driver's seat and outside mirrors memory systems
    • Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
    The Limited adds in addition to XLE Touring the following:
    • High Intensity Discharge (HID) Quadrabeam headlights with auto on/off feature
    • LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) accent lighting with on/off feature
    • Premium HDD Navigation with EntuneTM and JBL - includes 7-in. high-resolution touch-screen with split-screen capability, 11 JBL GreenEdgeTM speakers in 9 locations including subwoofer and amplifier.
    • Auto-dimming Outer Mirrors
    • Puddle Lamps
    • Rain Sensing Wipers
    • Heated Rear Seats
    • Sunshade, Rear Seat HVAC
    • Ambient Lighting
    • Safety Connect
    • Three-zone climate control with air filter and rear-seat vents
    • Resin Scuff Plate Door Sills
    Options Pricing: $1,750 – Optional Tech Package (Limited Only) includes Adaptive Cruise Control, Pre-Collision System and Automatic High Beams.

[​IMG]

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Engineering

Engine Type: I4
    Engine Block/Cylinder Head: Aluminum-Alloy
    Displacement (cc): 2,494
    Engine HP @ rpm (engine only): 156 HP @ 5,700 RPM
    Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) (engine only): 156 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 RPM
    Engine and Hybrid System HP: 200 HP
    Redline (rpm): TBA
    Bore and Stroke (in.): 3.54 x 3.86
    Compression Ratio: Approximately 10.0:1
    Expansion Ratio: 12.5:1
    Valvetrain: DOHC 16-valve VVT-i
    Sequential Fuel Injection (SFI)
    Drive-by-Wire Throttle System
    Front-Wheel Drive
    CARB Emissions Rating: Clean States: AT-PZEV
    Federal Emissions: TBA

HSD Electric Motor/Generator

MG2 Traction Motor (oil cooled)
    MAX Voltage: 650 V

MG1 Charging Motor (oil cooled)

HSD Power Storage

NiMH
    Voltage: 244.8V
    Capacity: 1.8 kWh/6.5 Ah
    Maximum Output: 41 HP

Transmission

ECVT

Final Drive: 3.542:1

[​IMG]

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Safety

Front, Side, Side Curtains, Driver and Passenger Knee airbags, and rear passenger side air bags std.

ABS, VSC, TC, BA, EBD, Smart Stop or Brake Override
    Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury Lessening (WIL) seats std.
    Direct Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) std.
    High-voltage cut-off function std.
    Hold START/STOP button for 3 seconds while driving: Engine will stop, but steering will not lock.

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Body/Suspension/Chassis

Unit-Body Construction
    Front MacPherson Strut with stabilizer bar
    Rear Dual-link and stabilizer bar
    Stabilizer Bar (mm., front/rear): TBA
    Electric Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion Steering
    Steering Wheel Turns, Lock-to-Lock: 2.9
    Steering Ratio: 14.8:1
    Turning Diameter, Curb-to-Curb (ft.): 37.4 ft.
    Power-Assisted Ventilated Front Disc/Solid Rear Disc Brakes (in.): 11.7/11.1
    Wheels: All-Season Tires: 215/55R17
    Compact Spare Tire

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Interior Measurements

Headroom (in., front/rear): 38.5/37.6
    Legroom (in., front/rear): 42.1/39.2
    Shoulder Room (in., front/rear): 58.2/56.5
    Hiproom (in., front/rear): 55.1/54.6
    Cargo Volume (cu. ft.): 14.10
    Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 102.3
    Seating Capacity: 5

[​IMG]

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Exterior Measurements

Wheelbase (in.): 111.0
    Length (in.): 195.2
    Height (in.): 57.5
    Width (in.): 72.2
    Track (in., front/rear): 62.6/62.2
    Curb Weight (lbs.): 3,585 (XLE Premium)
    Weight Distribution (%, front/rear): TBA
    Coefficient of Drag (Cd): 0.28

[​IMG]

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid EPA Mileage Estimates/Capacities

City/Highway/Combined: 40/39/40 mpgUS
    Fuel (gal.): 17.0
    Required Fuel: Regular Unleaded 87 Octane

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Performance

0 to 60 mph (sec.): 8.2
    Electronically Limited Top Speed (mph): 112

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Available Colors
    • Blizzard Pearl
    • Classic Silver Metallic
    • Magnetic Gray Metallic
    • Attitude Black Metallic
    • Sizzling Crimson Mica
    • Champagne Mica
    • Moulin Rouge Mica
    • Cypress Pearl
    • Nautical Blue Metallic
    2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Hybrid Warranty
    • 3-year/36,000-mile Comprehensive
    • 5-year/60,000-mile Powertrain
    • 5-year/unlimited-mileage Corrosion Perforation
    • 8-year/100,000-mile Hybrid-related Component Coverage.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2012
  2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, it's certainly priced to move the hybrid.

Difference of $2,360.
    ICEV is rated 19/28/23
    Miles to payback = MTP

Column1Column2Column3
    $/galMTP HwyMTP City
    $3.0078,09528,470
    $3.5066,93824,403
    $4.0058,57121,352

3. darrelldb1

darrelldb1 Well-Known Member

Ok Wayne, NOW can you tell me what do you get in the ES 300h for the additional $10,000.00?

BTW... What are Puddle Lamps?

4. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Puddle lamps are on the bottom of the rearview mirrors and sometimes underneath the car that illuminate the perimeter of the car so you can see if you are about to step into something.

5. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Wow, Toyota offers such a large number of hybrids now.

The Prius C is basically a hybrid Yaris, there's a Camry hybrid, a Highlander hybrid, and now an Avalon hybrid. Not to mention the Prius and Prius V.

I really like the way the Toyota hybrid system works.

6. Bennett

Bennett Well-Known Member

The 300h is priced almost the same... $38,850 base. Not sure why I'd want the Avalon.

http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/hybrid/

7. xcel

Hi Darrel:

Trust me I was asking that exact question in a number of different ways of the US design chief. From the response(s), Toyota's US designers and engineers were allowed to run with whatever they desired within a tightly controlled budget constraint of course. From the exterior sketch by a younger designer at Toyota's US CALTY design studio to the pre-production prototypes we drove, the car ended up looking very much like it was intended. Which of course is a sharp departure from anything Toyota has released in the past (both inside and out). In fact it one ups the ES 300h's style and even technology in a number of areas and at a lower price point. Not $10K but a significant savings. The US design team was not hampered by the Japan home office lead with regards to besting the Lexus design, content or price and the American team did exactly that.

I believe the Lexus interior is a bit "fancier" but from an exterior standpoint, the Avalon looks pretty damn good. And the city fuel economy was tremendous in no uncertain terms!

Here is an explanation of the mpg on this slower speed country and maybe 1.5 miles of 55 mph CA state route.

2013 Toyota Avalon Fuel Economy Results

[​IMG]
    99.9 mpg over 5.2 miles.​

I was handed the keys late in the day for one last drive so the car was already warmed up. The SoC was sitting at 6-bars or approximately ¾ as I did not experience a full SoC and count the bars displayed when I left the hotel parking lot. I drove the Avalon 1.4 miles under EV mode which dropped SoC to 2 bars. After which I could calculate a somewhat accurate fuel economy result. Or so I thought.

I completed the country/suburban drive with the average fuel consumption display (aFCD) pegged at 99.9 mpg.

Here is where it gets interesting. The last 1/2 of a mile the meter was again pegged at 99.9 mpg with 3-bars of SoC displayed so it was probably in the 120 mpg range for this short round trip loop. Taking the 1.4 miles of initial EV mode driving out of the equation due to energy stored in the pack, the Avalon was actually driven not 5.2 miles but at just 3.8 miles on the gas /hybrid drivetrain alone with 2-bars SoC showing from the first engine start to the shut down at the hotel once again.

5.2 miles/99.9 miles/gallon = 0.052052 gallons consumed at a maximum and the Avalon actually used less than that given it traveled the last 1/2 miles to the hotel was also above 99.9 mpg.

In the worst case calculation in which the Avalon was driven 3.8 miles on a maximum of 0.052052 gallons we would expect to see 73.0 mpg displayed. Given it actually consumed less than the 0.052052 gallons by some 9.6%, the actual was very close to 80.0 mpgUS.

On the highway drive it was proven to be not nearly as efficient as all HSD equipped Toyota’s get whacked out on the Interstate. An indicated 56 mpgUS was not bad but was not really great given its 39 mpgUS highway rating either.

[​IMG]
    56.5 mpg 80% highway/20% city.​

All in, the fuel economy was really good and the new more competitive face of Toyota is shining through. Toyota kept the soft suspension and slightly vague steering for the type of individual (Avalon buyer is currently averaging 64 or 67 years of age) that would buy an Avalon even though it has the ES’ the exact same tighter steering ratio with a stiffer suspension setup to feel a bit more “sporty”.

[​IMG]
    Avalon’s eBin electronics storage tray. Beneath the slide down cover is the personal electronics connections.

[​IMG]
    A wrap around modern headlight design including the Quadrabeam low beams.​

An industry-first Quadrabeam headlight cluster utilizes a sleek and compact double-eye headlight design with two square glass condenser lenses that have been adopted for the low beams and are said to offer outstanding lighting performance. I did not drive the Avalon in the dark so I do not know? Halogen and High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs are available for low beam double-eye PES front lamps.

The LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL’s) as shown in the Limited above use six high- performance LED and really make the Avalon stand out.

[​IMG]
    Maybe 2” of room in the back with the front adjusted for my 6 ft. frame.​

Bennett, here is our preview of the ES 300h from a few months back...

CleanMPG Previews the 2013 Lexus ES 300h

Wayne

8. xcel

Hi All:

As Toyota’s flagship sedan, the 2014 Avalon offers a fresh design, better performance, a high level of refinement, and a spacious interior equipped with the latest convenience technologies.

For 2014, a back-up monitor is now standard equipment on all Avalon models. The Avalon XLE Premium and Avalon Hybrid XLE Premium add Display Audio with Navigation and Entune App suite. For 2014, the Avalon XLE Touring model will be equipped with 18” anthracite-painted alloy wheels instead of silver finish. The Blind Spot Monitor is now optional equipment on the Avalon XLE Touring and Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring models.

Production of the 2014 Avalon begins early in October with both models first appearing in showrooms in November.

The 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Pricing Changes.

Column1Column2Column3Column4Column5Column6Column7
    Model YearBrandModel2013 MSRP2014 MSRPMSRP Change (USD$)MSRP Change (%)
    2014ToyotaAvalon Hybrid XLE Premium$35,555$35,555$00.0%
    2014ToyotaAvalon Hybrid XLE Touring$37,250$36,750($500)-1.3%
    2014ToyotaAvalon Hybrid Limited$41,400$41,400 $00.0%

Wayne