The moron at the helm who set sail with a Huricane bearing down on them

Discussion in 'Hero and Jerk of the Day' started by ALS, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Update from NBC Station WITN-TV:

"The HMS Bounty, a 180-foot, three-mast tall ship, was last marked about 90 miles southeast of Hatteras.

The ship has sunk, according to the Coast Guard at 8:45 a.m. Monday.

Just before 8 a.m., the Facebook page for the HMS Bounty says 14 of the 16 people who had to abandon their ship have been hoisted to safety.

There have been conflicting reports on how many people were onboard. The manifest reportedly listed 16 people, and that's the number the Coast Guard has."

Crew-abandons-hms-bounty-off-nc-coast

2. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

Shame to lose a ship like this.

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Wait, what?!!! THE HMS Bounty?

Seriously, did they not check the weather before going out?

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Andrew:

It was a replica but still, WTH were they thinking as the largest storm about to hit the US is practically right there!!!???

Wayne

5. PaleMelanesian

Right, of course. But still. :(

6. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

I cannot come up with a coherent response. Either way, winds just started picking up in upstate NY. I'm located just east of Albany (45 mins west of Pittsfield, MA).

7. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Schedules and performance reviews to be met and so on..

8. PaleMelanesian

This will certainly make for a good performance review. :rolleyes:

9. xcel

Hi Andrew:
    On the 0 - 10 recommended scale, the HMS Bounty scored an "Epic Fail" ;)

Wayne

10. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Sort of reminds me of a barn that burnt down when I was a kid. "It was a case of spontaneous combustion, an $800 barn rubbing up against a $1000 insurance policy."

11. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

The projected path of the storm, when they set sail, was apparently farther out from land. Or so I gather from our local story on it (NC/Raleigh rag). They felt they'd be safe given the track of the storm, and so went for it. I feel it was a poor decision, but what are you going to do? The ship is in private hands, and apparently the owner felt it was worth the risk.

12. xcel

Hi Matthew:

I know the Coast Guard rescued 14 of the 16 right away. Another who was unresponsive a few hours later? Not sure about the last. Any updates?

Wayne

13. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

The only one not accounted for is the Captain who probably went down with the ship.

14. Ophbalance

The news this morning reported one drowned, and the captain is MIA. There appears to still be hope in recovering the captain, though they didn't list why that's still the case.

15. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Hmmm
    Bet the owner wasn't on that ship.

Did they do it because they thought it would pound itself to pieces at the dock-safer at sea etc?
    That excuse-always seemed kinda dumb-people have been battening down docked ships boats for 5000 years.

Now if these poor folks-the crew-were as good as the original crew-they probably could have weathered that storm at sea.But zero chance they were as good as the originals.
    Ship probably not as seaworthy either-poorly maintained probably.

Shame

16. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

That was my understanding from the interview of the sailor on NPR yesterday---the same reason Navy ships went out from Norfolk.

Where's Captain Blye?

17. Ophbalance

It appears the search is still on for the captain WRAL news