JOTD for 2012-10-23

Discussion in 'Hero and Jerk of the Day' started by Nevyn, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

See a guy coming up on me pretty fast in the mirror. Check speed; I'm doing ~67 headed downhill on I-80 eastbound. I recognized the model of car, and just shake my head.

Mass. tags, Chevy Volt passes me doing 75-80 and accelerating.

Man, it fires me up seeing good cars wasted.

2. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Same here when on the local interstates running the speed limit, every Prius and Honda Hybrid is passing me like I'm standing still.

3. lxmike

lxmike Well-Known Member

and I bet there are Thinking " darn older driver holding me up" or " the police allow you 5 over the limit before they write you up" or my fav " I still get 40-45 mpg driving like this"

4. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

If someone knows they are going to drive at 85mph generally, it is still better for them to do it in a Prius or HCH than in a hummer. At least they are taking some responsibility to mitigate their impact on the planet. That's better than probably 80% of the US population.

Its like someone who knows they want their house to be at 78ยบ all winter so they insulate it, get new windows and make it super energy efficient, so they are at least minimizing the impact of that lifestyle choice.

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi CRT1:

Good point but I also believe Nevyn's assumption that this guys experience is such a waste. He or she should have been in a Passat TDI while pulling 37 to 40 mpg @80 mph instead of 25 to 30 mpg in the Volt :(

Wayne

6. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Maybe the guy has a 12 mile commute and solar panels at home?.. 0 gas used beats the TDI by far

7. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

Herm, I doubt that. I'm in PA, car was tagged Massachusetts. Long, LONG way from home...

8. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Somewhat similarly, I saw my first Leaf last week. It was doing about 70 mph headed west on I-40, in the boondocks about 35 miles east of Knoxville. Hurrying to get into town before the juice ran out, I guess ...