2013 Toyota Avalon Preview - Golden Gate in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by xcel, Oct 23, 2012.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

It took over 10-hours but I am finally in San Francisco for the 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Preview…

To start, I bet you have not seen the Golden Gate Bridge like pic number two ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Up through the sunroof!

[​IMG]

Wayne

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. ncee

ncee Well-Known Member

And how long before you post pictures, information on the new Avalon?

Skip

3. xcel

Hi Skip:

It's great but the embargo does not end until the end of the month.

Wayne

4. xcel

Hi All:

"Maybe" the below happened and maybe it did not but I cannot say for sure until next week ;)

Wayne

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  5. xcel

Hi All:

Driving impressions and details will have to wait…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wayne

6. ncee

ncee Well-Known Member

Was there only the hybrid there? Sure seems like they are pushing that model big time in the media?

Skip

7. xcel

Hi Skip:

A healthy mix of both hybrids and non-hybrids of various trims were available for us to drive. I also drove the current generation back to back as well.

I wish I could say more but that is about as far as I can go w/out getting into trouble with Toyota. They hosted the short lead for maybe 25 of us in NAPA on Tuesday. Wave 2 was yesterday morning with Wave 3 beginning possibly later today?

Wayne

8. ncee

ncee Well-Known Member

Ok, so are you having fun, enjoying yourself, the cars?

And after wave 2 and wave 3 might there be more photo's?

- Interior Colors / options?
    - Thoughts on the comfort / quietness of the new avalon
    - Thoughts in general on the new avalon? Will folks be happy with the changes?

My local dealer said he saw the ?sable Green with tan interior and he feel in love with it, is it that nice?

They use to have a great blue color option on the web site, and have since taken it down, is it an option?

Ok, way to many questions - sorry.

Skip

9. xcel

Hi Skip:

Beginning on Oct. 30th and all through November, all the pictures and all of your questions will be answered plus some.

The all-new 4th generation Avalon is really improved and hopefully that keeps your interest.

Wayne

10. ncee

ncee Well-Known Member

Well hell, I've waited this long, what's a few more days:)

I'm hoping to have my new one in time for a trip down south (from Maine to Florida) around thanksgiving time???:)

Skip

11. xcel

Hi Skip:

You will enjoy that long highway cruse as the new 4th gen Avalon is made exactly for that! :D

Wayne

12. ncee

ncee Well-Known Member

Sounds great.

I average 35,000 to 45,000 miles a year (on occasion more), so this is sounding better all the time.

My 2011 Avalon is nice, just not great:) I've already got an agreement with my local dealer to purchase a new 2013 (I already have a $5,000.00 deposit on it:)). And this one depending on when the new one is available, will have between 40 and 45,000 miles on it by then.

Things I hope are better in the new one:

- A bit less road noise at highway speeds
    - Better wipers (Mine make a ton of noise and have been changed 3 times already)
    - A bit more comfortable on long drives
    - My passengers are going to miss the rear reclining seats
    - I would like to have better visibility when looking out the left-hand back window, as right now, the front headrest takes up 50% of the view in the window.
    - I, because I travel so much, really liked the coin tray on my 2008 Camry, and would love to have one on the Avalon.
    - I do think I'll love the front tray for phones and stuff

Skip

13. ncee

ncee Well-Known Member

Not sure if I'll like a hybrid?

Thinking of taking a test drive in a camry just to get a fell for that type of car / performance and such?

Skip

14. xcel

Hi Skip:

While I cannot speak of the Avalon hybrid yet, the Camry Hybrid is a 7-second car with close to double the fuel economy of its non-hybrid counterpart.

I will have more on price of the Avalon Hybrid and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the minimum upcharge.

Here is what has been released so far and hopefully it will tide you over until the 30th.

All New 2013 Toyota Avalon

IHTHs?

Wayne

15. ncee

ncee Well-Known Member

Sounds like I should wait on the hybrid:)

On or around the 30th, will information be on both hybrid and non-hybrid?

The speed isn't a BIG deal. For me the concerns are owners expenses down the road.

Will it be more costly to own and maintain?

Will the costs off-set the savings in fuel?

While I told my wife I would keep this car longer (I've purchased a new 2008 Camry, a 2008 Avalon Touring Edition, (after 15.5 months I had 66,000+ miles on it) 2011 Avalon LTD, a Used Park Avenue, Another Used Park Avenue, and one more Park Avenue (The first one had 337,000 miles on it when I junked it) and all this time, she still has her 2003 Camry she purchased new (now with 60,000 miles of which I put 23,000 on).

I travel a fair amount selling Promotional Products to anyone who needs the stuff, and a fair amount of Automotive Dealers Products too. So if I'm going to keep it a while.

I must admit, I'm not sure if it's the waiting, the fact that I'll be keeping this car longer or what, but getting excited (Hell I'm not getting excited, I AM excited) for this car.

I'm not kidding anyone, someday I'll breakdown and get an LS 460 L (unless this Avalon cures that desirer).

Skip

16. ncee

ncee Well-Known Member

So will folks like me, be saying "Holy Sh%$^T" when we see the models going to SEMA?

I'm hoping against hopes, that Toyota doesn't come out with a AWD model next year! Living here in Maine, I would LOVE to have AWD, and it would piss me off no end, to have them come out with that model next year - NOW if they want to come out with it now:)

Skip

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
  17. xcel

Hi Skip:

I am not speaking about the Avalon Hybrid as I cannot but in general, Hybrids are less expensive to maintain over the total length of time you own the car.

Most Toyota hybrids also have a superior payback compared to their non-hybrid counterparts. When you see the cost differential of the Avalon hybrid vs. the conventional 3.5L, you will see how quickly the upcharge can be recouped.

Regarding excitement, Toyota has a super efficient highway cruiser on its hands and I suspect you will be impressed.

This is an interior photo released after the 2012 NY Auto Show so it is fair game to post and I hope you like it. It is the highest trim but I cannot say what that trim is called, what it includes or what it costs until the embargo ends. If you need more pics of the Avalon from the NY Auto Show last spring, let me know but they are limited and do not show the car in great light to hide some of the highlights set to be revealed on the 30th.

2013 Toyota Avalon

[​IMG]
    Drivers side interior​

I will post the 2013 Avalon SEMA story but with 22” wheels, it looks “dorky” by comparison to the real thing ;)

I hope that helps?

Wayne

18. ncee

ncee Well-Known Member

Thanks, seen all the pictures online and stuff. The pretty nice video on HSN, and others, and yes, they do a good job of hiding the good stuff.

Sure does sound like I owe it to the hybrids to give them a try.

The 30th is NOT going to come fast enough for me:(

I will say, it will be interesting to see the interior color options. I'm thinking of the Sable colored exterior with the tans interior. I'd love to have the blue one they had online right when they announced the car, but have since taken down.

I've got Crimson Red right now, and while it's nice, it's only nice in the bright sunshine - other then that, it looks black, which was what my Touring Avalon was.

My Camry was the medium blue they had. I will say some of the pictures of the red ones like pretty damn nice.

Skip

PS So how is the weather out your way.

19. xcel

Hi Skip:

Weather is wild. 75 + yesterday, 35 tomorrow...

Regarding the hybrid, while the pricing and colors will be revealed on the 30th, with the miles you drive, it is the one and only choice to keep your hard earned $s in your pocket instead of giving them away to OPEC, the majors and the tax man. The mpg delta is to large for you to consider the non-hybrid.

I believe I posted this earlier and if I did not, this past June, Toyota posted the combined rating for the 2013 Avalon Hybrid at 40 mpg combined. From the same story, the 3.5L V6-powered 2013 Avalon achieved 25 mpg combined.

With these data points and an average gasoline cost of let us say $4.00 per gallon over the next 5 years and your 50,000 miles per year, savings at the pump from the 40 mpgUS combined rating ($5,000 in fuel per year) to the 25 mpgUS combined ($8,000 in fuel per year) comes to $3,000 per year in fuel savings alone.

When you see the prices of the two drivetrains, you'll definitely want the quieter and more refined feeling hybrid variant guaranteed ;)

Wayne

20. ncee

ncee Well-Known Member

Quieter:)!

When you look at it that way, hell I could pay for some the gas I'll be using, with the saving I'll have from using less with gas with the hybrid.

Ok, you have convinced me to at least consider it.

I was thinking it might the top of the line Avalon anyways, so that folks who want only the best, will look at the hybrid thus helping toyota to sell more.

I do have a budget to stay within so it will be interesting to see what it sells for …

How quiet it is …

How comfortable it is …

How much pep it has … as I do A LOT of highway driving, and I don't like not being able to get out of the way QUICKLY, when I need to.

As nice as it will be, if the top of the line gas version is smoother, quicker, more quiet, more comfortable and just cooler all around, I'll deal with the lost of MPG for the other things.

But it does sound like I'm going to be impressed (and parking a Hybrid in my driveway:)

Skip