Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Kia' started by The Doctor, Oct 13, 2012.

1. The Doctor

The Doctor Old Dude, New Car

Wow!
    Not a lot of activity here.
    Am I the only Kia Soul owner on this forum?

The Doctor :cool:

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'm thinking you are , The Doctor. I sort of like the Soul. It's still too tall for excellent fuel economy , but it looks like it could certainly provide more utility for THOSE WHO ACTUALLY NEED IT. I do suspect that most Soul owners are more interested in looking cool than driving in a mature and caring way. Not you , of course.
    I'll be interested in hearing your results.

3. The Doctor

Thank you for your response!

I see the Kia Soul everywhere. They are now like the VW Bug was, years ago.
    Yeah, they have the aerodynamics of a cement block, but marvel of marvels, they get better gas mileage than my Suzuki SX4 did.

The little 1.6L DOHC engine also has Direct Fuel Injection and Variable Valve Timing, which gives it very good performance while maintaining economy.

I'm just real happy with the little car.

Cheers Mates!

4. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

Put blue motion into the Soul, and I'm all over that for my next vehicle ;).

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Doctor , I was just wondering................ are you planning to name your Soul the TARDIS ?
    Cuz that would be too cool.

6. The Doctor

Well, I AM known far and wide as "Dr. Who", so maybe the Tardis would be appropriate. Eh? It's definitely bigger on the inside than on the outside.

I gave the little girl a wash n shine today.
    [​IMG]

Clean on the inside too!
    [​IMG]

I'm still scratching my head about the "Blue Motion" thingy. What's that?

7. herm

herm Well-Known Member

No tinting at all on the front side windows?

8. The Doctor

Oh yes, but it's factory tint. Not too dark.
    The tint on the rear windows was done by the dealer.

It has that fade-tint on the windshield, like all the big American cars used to have.

:cool:

9. Ophbalance

Blue motion is Hyundai's hybrid drive system. I cannot justify NOT having a vehicle that does 60 MPG at 60 MPH at this point in my life ;).

10. The Doctor

Hang loose! Kia has an electric Soul on the drawing board. Probably in 2014.

I'm thinking that huge flat roof would lend itself nicely to Solar Cells. Eh?

I drive too many miles, for an electric. I've driven 1500 miles in the last two weeks.

Electric would be nice for a little extra Boost, now and again, as long as it was solar powered.

11. Ophbalance

Eh, an all electric won't really work for me. I do about 120 miles a day on average. Anything less than 200 miles electric range will never fly for me. Take the drive train out of the Sonata though, and they've got a sale. Buy the time I'm ready to purchase I could afford a used one.

12. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

The dealer tried to sell me a Soul when I bought my wife's Rio, but I had to tell them no. Pretty good deal for a lot of room, though.

13. Kinder

Kinder Well-Known Member

Nice Soul! Thanks for posting and let us know more about how the car is working out mpg-wise. I have the same 1.6 engine in my 2012 Accent, which I bought in Aug 2011. I didn't know they were about to put that 1.6 in the Soul, or it would have been tempting to at least check out. The Accent is just big enough, to the point where the similar yet shorter Rio wouldn't have worked nearly as well for us (3 in the family and we often carry bulky sports gear with one rear seat down). I don't get the fabled 60mpg at 60mph but I do approach 45mpg at 60! For $15k, I'll take it. 20k miles so far and no problems, so hopefully you'll have a similar trouble-free experience.

14. The Doctor

I'm putting on the miles at a ridiculous rate, for an old retired guy with no place to go.
    But every mile has been a real joy. This little car if full of "SCAT".
    Just turn it loose and it will take off like a scalded dog!

I've even had mine off road on a sand road, winding through trees and palmetto palms, and it handled as good as a 4x4.
    After driving for over 50 years, I'm not all that easy to impress,,,,,but I have to admit that the little Kia Soul definitely impresses me.

And it's not even broken in yet......

Cheers Mates!

15. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

After looking at them and talking to a few owners I think of the Soul as a descendant of the International Scout. Kind of a hybrid of a car, a dune buggy, and an SUV. I haven't seen anything about a removable hard top or 4WD though.

16. The Doctor

I owned a I.H. Scout and I can guarantee you..... the Soul is in no way related to the Scout.

The Soul is definitely an SUV, 2WD only. The bull nose is the only part of the car that even slightly might cause someone to think of the Scout, although it never affected me that way.
    Rumor has it that an Electric Soul is somewhere in the works for maybe, 2014.

17. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Worked on one with a buddy in high school. 304 V8 with a 4-speed. Sweet trucks. Definitely no relation. I think the Honda Element bears more relation.

18. The Doctor

Just to clarify the topic, for those who have never seen an International Harvester Scout before, here's one.

[​IMG]

This model was built in the late '60's and with the steel roof and Chrome Wheels was known as The Aristocrat. Mine came with a 6' wide snow plow blade.
    The little American Motors 232 cu.in. straight six put out good horsepower and put the car right on down the road, but I don't remember getting stellar gas mileage.
    It road like a truck, drove like a truck and sounded like a truck. I built a bed in the back and my wife and I used it for an overnight camper. It was a lot of fun for a guy in his twenties, but would certainly not suit my needs or desires today.

Comparing my Kia Soul to previous cars I've owned, I think it comes the closest to the '89 Dodge Caravan. Close, but no cigar.;) I liked the high seating, big glass, AT and Cruise Control. It was one vehicle that my aging mother could get in and out of easily. She loved that car and I'm sure if she were still alive, she would love the Soul as well.

I've ordered a Curt Trailer Towing package for my Soul, which should be here sometime next week. It shouldn't impact gas mileage, either plus or minus, but it will surely make the car more utilitarian.

Cheers Mates!

19. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Doctor, what mpgs are you getting on the hwy and at what speeds?

20. The Doctor

With no charms, or magic potions, at 55mph, under cruise control, I'm seeing 30 to 50 depending on the lay of the land. Of course it varies, from minute to minute as the terrain changes.

[​IMG]

Just one shot of my Scan Gauge, while on my trip to Daytona Beach, for Biketoberfest.

I'm using a K&N Air Cleaner and I've added a little extra air to the tires. Nothing else.
    That's also with pump gas with up to 10% ethanol.

My average for the trip, including about 20 miles of city driving in Ormond Beach and Daytona Beach, was 31.9 (if memory serves).

I'm not at all disappointed.