2013 Kia Rio5 Pricing, Options and Specifications

Discussion in 'New Automobile Specifications' started by xcel, Oct 1, 2012.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

2013 Kia Rio5

Rio5 5-Door MSRP

LX 1.6L GDI I4 6 M/T $13,800
    LX 1.6L GDI I4 6 A/T $14,900
    EX 1.6L GDI I4 6 A/T $16,700
    SX 1.6L GDI I4 6 A/T $17,900
    SX “Special Edition” 1.6L GDI I4 6 M/T $17,900

Destination: $750

Standard equipment

The LX arrives with 15” tires with steel wheels, black mesh grille, heated power mirrors, rear spoiler, variable front wipers, rear window wiper, locking fuel filler door, rear defrost with timer, AM/FM/CD/MP3/SiriusXM with USB/Aux jack and 4 speakers, steering wheel audio control buttons, A/C, tilt steering, trip computer, cargo cover, 6-way adjustable driver’s seat and a 60/40 split folding rear seat.

The EX includes all the LX features plus the following: Black mesh grille with chrome surround, A-pillar mounted tweeters, Bluetooth, steering wheel audio and Bluetooth hands free phone control buttons, Cruise Control, Power Windows with one-touch drivers side down, Power Locks with remote keyless entry, telescopic wheel, center console with sliding armrest, cargo under floor tray with net, premium cloth seating surfaces and a front door padded armrest.

The SX includes all the EX features plus the following: 17” alloy wheels, sport tuned suspension, outside mirrors with turn indicators, power folding outside mirrors, projection headlamps, front fog lights, front LED DRL accent lights, LED taillights, dual exhaust tips (why, I do not know???), UVO infotainment system with rear view camera, steering wheel mounted paddle shifters (A/T only), Auto on-off headlights, dual map lights, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, soft touch dash and metal pedals.

Options Pricing

Power Package for LX: $1,000
    Convenience Package for EX: $1,150
    Eco Package for EX: $400
    Premium Package for SX: $2,350

-- Power windows w/ driver's one-touch auto up/down
    -- Power door locks w/ remote keyless entry

-- 15" alloy wheels
    -- UVO in-vehicle infotainment system
    -- Rear-camera display
    -- Auto-on/off headlights
    -- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and gearshift knob
    -- Outside mirrors w/ turn-signal indicators
    -- Power-folding outside mirrors
    -- Front fog lights
    -- Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors
    -- Dual map lights
    -- Soft-touch dash

SX “Special Edition” PACKAGE INCLUDES

-- Navigation w/ SiriusXM Traffic (replaces UVO in-vehicle infotainment system)
    -- Rear-camera display
    -- Push-button start w/ Smart Key

-- Navigation w/ SiriusXM Traffic (replaces UVO in-vehicle infotainment system)
    -- Push-button start w/ Smart Key
    -- Leather seat trim
    -- Heated front seats
    -- Power sunroof w/ tilt

Cargo Tray: $80
    Cargo Net: $50
    Carpet Floor Mat: $95
    Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink and Compass: $295
    Wheel Locks: $50

Engine Type: In-Line I4
    Engine Block/Cylinder Head: Aluminum-Alloy
    Displacement (cc): 1,591
    Horsepower @ rpm: 138@6,300
    Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm): 123@4,850
    Redline (rpm): 6,500
    Bore and Stroke (mm): 77.0 mm x 85.44 mm
    Compression Ratio: 11.0:1
    Valvetrain: Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (CVVT)
    Direct Injection
    Drive-by-Wire Throttle System
    Front-Wheel Drive
    CARB Emissions Rating: TBA
    Federal Emissions: Tier II/Bin5

Gear Ratios

6-Speed Manual Transmission

1st: 3.769
    2nd: 2.045
    3rd: 1.286
    4th: 1.036
    5th: 0.893
    6th: 0.774
    Final: TBA
    Reverse: 3.545

6-Speed Automatic Transmission Ratios (available)

1st: 4.40
    2nd: 2.726
    3rd: 1.834
    4th: 1.392
    5th: 1.000
    6th: 0.774
    Final: TBA
    Reverse: 3.440

RPM@ 60 mph: 2,500 RPM using a Garmin for speed and a ScanGauge-II for actual RPMs.

Unit-Body Construction
    MacPherson Strut Front Suspension
    Coupled Torsion Beam Rear Suspension
    Electronic Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion Steering
    Steering Wheel Turns, Lock-to-Lock: 2.82
    Steering Ratio: TBA
    Turning Diameter, Curb-to-Curb (ft.): 33.5 (LX/EX) and 34.5 ft. (SX)
    Power-Assisted Ventilated Front Disc/Solid Rear Disc Brakes (in.): 10.1 (LX and EX), 11.0 (SX)/10.3
    Wheels: All-Season Tires: 185/65R15 LX/EX and 205/45R17 SX
    Inflator Kit in lieu of Spare Tire

Interior Measurements

Headroom (in., front/rear): 40.0/37.6
    Legroom (in., front/rear): 43.8/31.1
    Shoulder Room (in., front/rear): 53.1/52.1
    Hiproom (in., front/rear): 52.1/51.2
    Cargo Volume Seat Up/Seat Down (cu. ft.): 15.0/49.8 (LX), 12.3/47.1 (EX/SX)
    Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 88.6
    Seating Capacity: 5

Exterior Measurements

Wheelbase (in.): 101.2
    Length (in.): 159.3
    Height (in.): 57.3
    Width (in.): 67.7
    Track (in., front/rear): 59.9/60.0
    Curb Weight (lbs. MT/AT): 2,410/2,483

EPA Mileage Estimates/Capacities:

6-Speed Manual (City/Highway): 30/40 mpgUS
    6-Speed Automatic (City/Highway): 30/40 mpgUS
    Crankcase (qt.): 3.49
    Coolant System (qt. MT/AT): 5.6/5.8
    Fuel (gal.): 11.4
    Required Fuel: Regular Unleaded

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. xcel

Hi All:

First drive of the 2013 Kia Rio5 SX with the 6-speed stick.

2013 Kia Rio5 SX with the 6-speed stick Review

Not bad with an 82.5 mpg result. The sticky 17’s feel like they are overwhelming the 1.6L GDI a bit at the maximums.​

3. 50 mpg by 2012

50 mpg by 2012 Well-Known Member

How would you like to get chance to test drive this Rio diesel?

Kia Rio 1.1 CRDi 1 EcoDynamics 5dr Hatchback: 0-60 14.9secs; top speed 99mph; 85gCO2/km; 73.6 mpg(US) combined NEDC; UK out the pricing including VAT+ displacement tax £11,245

This vehicle seems to already be well within compliance with EU's 2020 <95 gCO2/km.
  4. xcel

Hi Houston:

I have spoken with Kia PR in Korea a number of times over the past 6-months about driving that car for a "special drive" but to this date, not a chance. It is not being sold in Australia either :(

5. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

I might want to buy it. Aside from the regulatory barriers, U.S. car magazines, even Consumers Report, would ridicule the 14.9-second 0-60 unmercifully. Never mind that that's as fast or faster than cars people liked in the past.
  6. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think the little LED "eyelashes" are the tailfins of the 2012-2014 era. Just like a couple years ago it was faux side "vents" in the front fenders.
  7. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Sooo ... no way to get an MT with power windows and locks? Well, so much for that, then.
  8. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Dan, you should realize by now, that's a feature. It's meant to be that way. Now you'll pay the extra $2900 and their balance sheet goes more black.
  9. xcel

Hi Dan:

I am driving an MT with PW and PL, NAVI, power folding mirrors and proximity key for all 5-doors for $17,900. Not a bad deal ;)

10. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Oh, I see. You can get the MT again if you step all the way up to the SX. No thanks.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I would take the cheap LX MT and have fewer doo-dads to fix between years six and twelve.
    That's what "features" are : big repair bills tomorrow.
  12. xcel

Hi All:

I have been waiting out rain and strong west winds for the past 4-days and finally it looks like we are going to get a break. While the temps are lousy cold (it is 46 degrees F and dropping quickly as the afternoon wears on) and it is overcast, it appears the winds are just under 10 mph from the west and should drop off to less than 7 mph over the next few hours for the first measured run of the great little hatch while first heading due North then due South coming back home.

13. xcel

Hi All:

Not great but considering the 10 mph side winds out and back in 45 – 46 degree temps…

2013 Kia Rio SX Review - First Measured Fill

Speedway in Gurnee, IL to Ryan Rd - Oak Creek, WI and back – 71.7 miles.

Initial top off at the Gurnee, IL Speedway.

Final top off details: 64.8 mpg and 67.1 miles displayed -- 71.7 actual miles on 1.115 gallons = 64.3 mpgUS.

Final at the same pump but a little colder and quite a bit darker ;)

14. xcel

Hi All:

I completed the Steady state speed vs. FE for 45 through 70 mph tonight but it’s a little late so I will tabulate everything tomorrow sometime.

In addition, I performed another odometer offset study since the aFCD calibration result showed the odometer much below the actual distance traveled when going advanced.

That study result showed 44.6 miles actually traveled on a RT Interstate loop vs. 42.8 miles displayed so the OEM Odometer reports short of actual by 4.2% with the 17 in. tires on the SX trim.

15. xcel

Hi All:

The 2013 Kia Rio SX was driven away this morning :(

Here is the final 2013 Kia Rio SX with the 6-speed MT Speed vs. FE Graph.

Conditions were winds out of the South at 5 to 10 mph. Temperatures from 35 to 37 degrees F and all data was collected between 10:00 PM and 03:00 AM. NB and SB results were obtained by setting CC at the target speed (45, 50, 55 mph... etc.) and resetting the aFCD when a given elevation was achieved. The final fuel economy result for that speed was recorded after a minimum of 8-miles and only when the same elevation was passed through +/- 5 ft. ASL. Both the speed and elevation details came from the Garmin.

The North and southbound FE results at the various speeds were averaged and multiplied by 1.0937 to compensate for the aFCD offset (- 0.785 %), mileage offset (+ 2.65%) and temperature compensation to 70 degrees F (+ 7.5%).

The OEM speedometer was consistently about 1 mph slower than actual.

RPM's at 60 were an unfortunately very high at 2,500 RPM as measured form the Garmin for speed and an SG-2 for RPMs.

16. 50 mpg by 2012

Wayne and/or anybody,

You folks may have already discussed this, but ...

From the Speed vs Fuel Economy chart above and others you have seen so far, would you conclude that most gasoline ICEs have a convex curve like the Rio, decreasing negative slope with increasing speed?

The reason I ask is the diesel Passat has an increasing negative slope with increasing speed. In other words, the Passat diesel holds mpg higher further into higher mph before significant "roll-off" begins, a more convex curve.

IF this is typical of small displacement diesels in general ... then it could explain why these types diesels tend to beat EPA and gasoline ICEs have difficulty matching EPA.

Could this be displacement related as well?

Just curious.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  17. PaleMelanesian

I think it's more of a function of the units used, MPG. If you change it to L/100km, it's nearly linear.
  18. 50 mpg by 2012

True, but not absolutely linear, for the Rio.

However, if both the Passat diesel and the Rio gasoline consumptions were normalized in volume consumed/unit distance versus mph, I believe there would be a spread to the diesel's advantage in consumption rate in the mid (and low?) speed ranges.
  19. PaleMelanesian

hmmm.. true. Not sure how to interpret that.
  20. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

It's because diesels are not only more efficient than SI engines at peak BSFC, but also have an even greater advantage at low power outputs (i.e., low vehicle speed).

If engines were equally efficient at all car speeds, that graph of speed vs. fuel volume used per unit distance (It doesn't matter whether you use U.S. or metric units.), would be a nearly perfect parabola. The fact that engines, especially SI ones, become more efficient when working harder (up to a point) confuses the issue.