2012 Toyota Prius PHEV “Road Stories”

Discussion in 'PHEV or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle' started by xcel, Sep 14, 2012.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Three Prius_PHEV owners, three varying but excellent results.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Sept. 13, 2012

2012 Toyota Prius PHEV – 11 miles all-electric range at up to 62 mph from the plug and 50 mpgUS combined on the gas.

Toyota’s Prius PHEV has been purchased by 6,061 customers in its first full six-months on the market but that is only a small part of the larger picture.

The 2012 Toyota Prius PHEV

The new Prius PHEV is offered in two trims, the Standard and Advanced.

The standard trim provides all of the features of the Prius Two Hatch plus some features from the upscale Prius Three and Four trims including LED Daytime Running Lights, new driver-feedback screens, heated front seats, Smart Key System on three doors with push-button start and remote illuminated entry, and the Touch Tracer Display.

In addition, the 6.1 in touch-screen based Display Audio and navigation system with rear backup camera plus new Entune multimedia services and smartphone apps -- Charge Management, Remote Air Conditioning System, Charging Station Map, Vehicle Finder and Eco Dashboard remote controls and information -- are all standard.

The Advanced trim level adds a Head-Up Display, LED headlamps, SofTex interior seat trim, eight-way adjustable power driver seat, a JBL premium audio and HDD navigation system. Additional safety features in the Advanced trim include the Pre-Collision System with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and Safety Connect system.

Operation

Even when not running in the driver-selectable EV mode, the Prius PHEV will rely more on its electric-only capability in situations where it is more efficient than running the gasoline engine, especially in urban and suburban driving and during shorter trips when drivers will enjoy the smoothness and quiet of EV operation.

Warranty

Toyota’s 36-month/36,000 mile basic new-vehicle warranty applies to all components other than normal wear and maintenance items. Additional 60-month warranties cover the powertrain for 60,000 miles and against corrosion with no mileage limitation. The hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, and the battery-charging system and cable/connector, are covered for eight years/100,000 miles (10 years/150,000 miles for CARB states).

The Prius Plug-in Hybrid will also come standard with Toyota Care, a complimentary plan covering normal factory-scheduled maintenance and 24-hour roadside assistance for three years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Basics and Charging

The Prius PHEV is the 50 mpgUS rated Prius we all know with the addition of a 4.4 kWh Li-Ion pack allowing an EPA estimated 11 miles all-electric range. We have experienced double that rating more than once already. A full charge from depleted when plugged into a 120V home circuit takes 2.5 to 3.0 hours or 1.5 hours using a 240v level 2 charging station.

Case Studies from San Francisco, Massachusetts and New York

Toyota highlighted 3 owners from both sides of the country giving their take on what the Prius PHEV provides on their unique commutes. In each case, the Prius PHEV provides more than promised!

Bay Area resident Rich Stephens learned to appreciate the high efficiency of the Prius PHEVs blended fuel economy.
    Paul Kenyan of Massachusetts who surely is an avid hypermiler added the following:
    Mark Rickey, a Prius PHEV owner in New York says the EV range helps him postpone the engagement of the gasoline engine during his commute:
    Now wouldn’t we all like to have those kinds of averages each and every day? If you have a 20 mile or less commute and can charge at work, the Prius PHEV is another good choice. If it is much longer, there are savings and there are expenses. Make sure you understand what is involved and if it meets your individual needs, consider its purchase for yourself.

2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I certainly would. But the large size of the PiP is a huge turnoff. The C is more right-sized for me but then there's those confounded NiMH batteries. No Lithium-ion=no sale.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

We'll only know how PHEVs are performing once they've been through a whole year with an average winter. We know that the need for cabin heat is an mpge killer.

As lithium-or-bust Jay notes, they're still using NiMH in the regular Prius, so we also don't yet know how much of the mpg effect is from the chemistry shift rather than plugging in.

4. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Looks good so far, and with Toyota's reputation probably a winner. This why I'm so jazzed with these plug in hybrids, you get the best of both worlds as they say.

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Keep thinking they will offer nationwide since the initial sales push is well behind us.

We love our gen 3, but with a 1.5 mile each way commute and lots of other short local drives, the PHV makes a lot of mpg sense if not $$ sense.

I will need to sell the 2010 when we get a PHV since we only put 'normal' miles on 1 car (I mostly bike commute). 'My' car gets maybe 1,200 miles /year.

Looked at buying from Dianne Whitmire of Carson Toyota in SoCal, but if I pick up in person and drive home I must pay higher CA sales tax. Her shipping to Oz is ~800 which is better, but I'd still like to buy local if I can make a deal.

6. xcel

Hi Ksstathead:

I would wait for a bit more competition to drive prices down.

$32K for a Prius Package 3 (MSRP of non-PHEV = $25.6K) with a 4.4 kWh Li-Ion added in lieu of the standard 1.3 kWh NiMH plus telematics is more than a bit excessive imho.

Wayne

7. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Except I think some have bought below sticker already...

8. xcel

Hi Ksstathead:

Just like the Prius hatch.

Wayne

9. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Great write up, and great performance. Unfortunately, the price point for the plug in is a bit too high.

10. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Most drivers will save about 100 gallons per year with the plugged version of the Prius (over the regular Prius).

Some will see a little less, but almost no one will save more than 150 gallons -- that would involve plugging in twice a day every single day of the year.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  11. xcel

Hi All:

Bringing this one back as my sons new position allows him a unique method of refueling the 2012 Toyota Prius PHEV-11. This charge makes up about 1/2 of his daily RT commute distance.

[​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

You can't beat free electrons.

xcel likes this.