To CR-Z or not to CR-Z ?

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by Bigspender007, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Bigspender007

Bigspender007 Well-Known Member

My situation is this:

I currently own a 2011 Civic and I have been able to hypermile it to an average of 44.3 mpg over the last 10 fill ups. Now I have almost 53000 miles on it and the dealership has a 2011 CR-Z demonstrator so I'm debating trading up.

Just looking over people on fuelly I'm not seeing any extraordinary numbers that make the switch worth while. I figured the best people to talk to would be on CleanMPG as we thrive on getting the most from every car.

Thoughts ??

Exclude the fact it is a two seater as I'm more than willing to sacrifice that for the cause of better fuel economy.

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Manual or CVT version?

3. Bigspender007

CVT Transmission

4. Right Lane Cruiser

We don't have a tremendous amount on the CVT version of the car, though a fellow Canadian (MSantos on the forums) prefers it to the manual version. You can get a good overview of the manual version in the thread below:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33372

I believe the CVT version can do the EV glide mode we are familiar with in the second and third gen Civic Hybrids and I know that Manuel (MSantos) has a high opinion of the car when equipped with this transmission.

5. Bigspender007

I think the success I have managed with my Automatic Civic would lead me to believe that I could still pull some good numbers on the CVT. EV Glide would be a nice option to have to boost my numbers even more.

Is it worth the switch to a hybrid regardless of transmission ?

I think I will see if I can get the car for a day and drive my commute to see what kind of numbers I can get.

6. Right Lane Cruiser

The question of worth is relative. How many miles per year are you driving? If we are talking money it can be pretty hard to make efficiency pay for the purchase of a new vehicle.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  7. Bigspender007

I drive approximately 40k miles a year

8. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

You may want to check out a Prius c. I hear nothing bad about them and they are very FE auto. Check it out, H

9. Right Lane Cruiser

That's a lot of miles! Looks like you are currently at around 40mpg US so if you were able to increase that to 50mpg in the CR-Z your fuel savings over a year (assuming $4 per gallon) would be in the neighborhood of $4*(40000)/40 - $4*(40000)/50 = $800

If you could average 60mpg you'd save on the order of $1334 per year. Even at that rate I'm guessing it would take quite a while to pay off the added cost of purchasing another vehicle.

However, if it is a cost you are willing to pay just for the joy of the vehicle, that's a different matter. I could never justify my Insight purchase based on fuel savings compared to the Elantra I owned before it (at least not with me pounding out tanks in the 50s and 60s) but hypermiling is my hobby and I've gotten a lot of joy from driving the car. It was worth the purchase price for me because of that.

So what do you think? With the numbers in front of you are you still inclined to go for the CR-Z?

10. Bigspender007

Considering here in Canada we have seen spikes close to $5.23/Gallon and my average is $4.83/ Gallon I'm more inclined to purchase the CR-Z. I have the dealership running the numbers and even if I have to pay a little more per month I will have a car that I will enjoy driving every day. Looking over the lifetime of my civic I would have saved over $1200 CAD if I was driving the CR-Z instead. I just have to get educated on some of the hybrid hypermiling techniques.

I will see what the dealership says and I will also be calling the insurance to see if it will save me some money there too.

11. Right Lane Cruiser

Well then, I look forward to pictures and many more posts from you on the CR-Z! :thumbs_up:

12. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Ill say! Im getting 60mpg a tank with the sunroof open half the time and with the optional 16" wider wheels that also has the quicker ratio steering. I take corners hard and the C does better then I was expecting.

The CR-Z does look nice but it won't give MPG like the C can under the same driving style. Another thing is the reliability issues Honda hybrids seem to have down the road.

13. Bigspender007

I completely agree with you about the C as I started to research it after it was mentioned on this thread. The real world performance is far superior and I also agree that Toyota has refined the hybrid technology to be fairly reliable.

Unfortunately the latest development in this story is that I won't be able to proceed with the purchase of a hybrid due to the fact that all the dealers have quoted me prices that far exceeds even the fuel economy savings. I'm happy to find out that I get a 15% discount on my car insurance when I purchase a hybrid so I will for sure be getting a hybrid in the future.

Maybe when the VW XL1 comes out

14. herm

herm Well-Known Member

What do they want for a C in Canada?..

15. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

22,000 pretty well loaded. No nav. Lots!!! H

16. herm

herm Well-Known Member

How much is a Yaris with similar options and AT?

17. Bigspender007

The yaris is about $19k with taxes and delivery

I currently pay about $280/month for my civic

I have had a couple toyota dealerships quote me at $550+ per month for the C

I even had them quote me a 2010 Prius and the best price I got was $460 per month.

18. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

19. Bigspender007

The numbers look good and I told the dealership that I would have to beat the EPA rating by 20% in order to get savings on the fuel. I left them with that information and I'm playing the waiting game. If they come back to me with a better deal I'm going to jump on it.

20. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

Good luck. I do enjoy My CR-Z, and it's very easy to beat the numbers with little effort. I also find the seats very comfortable. The only complaint so far is that the giant 55"+ doors mean no parking in narrow spaces if you expect to actually get out.

That being said, I'd still have a hard time now picking the CR-Z over the Prius C. The C is quieter, more efficient, easier to get in and out of, 4 seats, and more cargo room. So from a logical perspective the C wins, but it's missing a lot of nice touches Honda put into the CR-Z like much nicer plastics throughout the interior, ambient lighting, leather steering wheel, smart wipers/lights, HID headlights, and even the cargo cover that can be moved into multiple positions.