09 HCHII Threw A Fit

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by psyshack, Aug 25, 2012.

1. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Our 09 HCH II threw it's first real fit last Thursday. The wife was driving her and the car through a Check engine and IMA idiot light.

The IMA light cleared on it's own. But the check engine light remained. The SG-II showed it as a C1555, what ever that is. I cleared the check engine light with the SG-II. Next day we deove it to OKC down I-40. I set the CC and ran the A/C in auto and left the car to it's own at 70 mph. It returned a stupid 37 mpg. The Mazda3 would have bumped 40 mpg for that trip and sword it's self to be a real car.

On the way back from OKC I took control and drove the mpg crap out of it. No A/C and no FAS. All throttle and speed control. You experts know the play book. And I could only get 40 mpg out of it. But it has not thrown anymore idiot lights. Today I drove it around town for 7 miles and got 60 mpg out of it,,,, no FAS.

But the damn thing keeps charging and wasting the pack. MPG is there to be had in city/town driving but on the hwy it's useless. It eats the pack and charges the crap out of it. The bars go up and down like a piston in a 2 stroke engine.

The car has been through a massive wreck and rebuilt at a impressive level.

While this does not look bad.
    [​IMG]

In the end the whole front of the car had to be removed. From the firewall forward.
    [​IMG]

As a result of the wreck everything but the heavy cables were replaced less the A/C compressor and the electric motor. The battery pack and all hardware and software controls were replaced. And it was never right again. The more software updates Honda but on the car the worse it got.

While I have complained about the useless CVT over the4 years. And knew I was buying into a 3rd world design transmission wise. I had a shard or respect in Honda ICE and accepted the IMA system as fodder.

Now it seems there IMA fodder cant be yanked from there true ID, ICE,,, from which we all who study mpg get screwed. Even a 7th gen Civic HF out does a 8th gen worthless HF.

I knew within the first 5 miles of driving the Civic oil burner with Wayne in Oklahoma. Hybrid was dead..... But I bit!!!! That car was impressive at biblical level's.

Thank You Honda, EPA and assorted college boys. The real mpg eco Civic got killed. OOOOO and the ameican lazy people that cant or don't have the skills to drive a MT car............

2. all_about_the_glide

all_about_the_glide Well-Known Member

Sorry your HCH2 is not right, but why all the hate? It's only one data point.

Here's another one: given I bought my '07 used at a sweet price, the b-pack is still in half- way decent shape and I just clocked a mostly highway 62.4 mpg tank (frequently in less than ideal circumstances) I love mine.

3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Maybe its time to trade-in that HCH and get a reliable Prius.

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Jeff, I hate to hear that your car is still going downhill. :( Much as I love my first gen Insight I think Herm might be on to something... though with your performance desires perhaps an MT Mazda 6 SkyActive would be more up your alley?

5. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I agree the no headache ownership is worth everything to me! On fuelly on the HCH-II get around 41mpg average where the Prius like the C are a getting over 51mpg

6. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Jeff will not like the Prius trans. He prefers M/T's. H

7. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I think Honda's problem stems from their initial programming. Designed to maximize the EPA ratings. This comes at the expense of the battery pack. Their subsequent updates have done nothing but take these already damaged packs ultra conservative, and to delay the activation of the trouble light... Pretty much a cover up in my eyes to try and get these remaining cars through the end of the warranty period before the battery pack is completely toast. This forces the vehicle to get far less than the EPA rating.

On the other end of the scale, Ford has been very conservative in their battery pack programming and their packs have been proven to last over 300,000 miles with 80% of the original pack capacity remaining. The other night I made a 50 mile, 48 MPG trip in my 4wd Escape hybrid traveling 45 MPH most of the way. I've owned my FEH almost a year, and have only experienced one recal in that time frame. IMHO, Honda really dropped the ball on this one with the HCH. With Toyota, Ford and Hyundai producing some very nice, durable hybrids - Honda has a lot of catching up to do, and even if they work out the bugs, perceived quality of their hybrids has been damaged for some time to come.

8. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Do you think the new generation of Honda Hybrids has solved this problem?

9. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I would hope Honda has learned their lesson. They should have stood behind their cars with the HCH's though. There's probably a lot of folks that own them that have had it with Honda hybrids, and won't buy one again. Each HCH owner is also probably talking their friends and family out of buying a Honda hybrid as well. Honda had a prime opportunity to say, we screwed up, but we're making it right, and they pulled a page from Detroit's classic playbook. Don't actually fix the problem, just mask it and wait for the warranty to expire.

10. all_about_the_glide

all_about_the_glide Well-Known Member

Although, I don't think we'll know unitl a critical mass of them (if that many have been sold??) have traveled 100k miles or more, I can't imagine the suits not directing the engineers way down to the protect the pack at the expense of FE end of the scale with the new generation.

11. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Sell it!

How is the reloading going?

I notice the latest round of "crazy people shooting strangers" hasn't caused Dems to revive gun control "talks"
    Glad to see they got smart-it is a loser issue.
    But it has DRIVEN up the prices of ammo and components and high cap mag prices.
    The gun show folks-and gun shop owners-LOVE those shootings!
    "Obama will take your guns BS"
    Yeah-primers and projectiles are up in price according to a buddy of mine in that business.
    In 1994 primers were $9/1000
    There aren't any votes to be had in attempting to restrict access to guns-
    The Dems finally learned how to count-and have dumped that issue.

Someday-the Reps will revive gun control-in the past it was a " class warfare issue-union vs big mine owners-or banks vs robbers in depression"
    Yeah if the economy stays bad the Reps will revive gun control.
    Just my crazy rant for the day.

SELL TRADE THAT ANNOYING POS!!
    Yeah there won't be many folks lining up to buy it-so....
    What would it sell for $8000-$10000 maybe?? Cost maybe $22000?? Ouch!!
    A base Accord or Civic MT-maybe Honda will give decent trade in $$-guilt??
    Honda 4's are still sweet motors! CR downrated the Civic-so it should be cheap!

12. herm

herm Well-Known Member

You really dont want to sell that to a private buyer, it may come back to haunt you.

The only reloading I do is black powder, lots of messy fun.. and I love 22 target rifles.

13. phoebeisis

Herm
    He can trade it in
    Honda might feel guilty and give him a good deal on a Civic MT
    CR and others ripped the latest Civic-but I suspect it is still a nice sporty little car.
    Private buyer- yeah folks are lawsuit "happy" if if he disclosed-they might still be unhappy
    It runs "fine" just doesn't get the MPG you expect from a hybrid.

I have far fewer guns now after several years of $$ problems.
    Yeah-I also love 22's-older you get-the more you appreciate low recoil low noise-cheap ammo.
    I still have my old Win 190 22 rifle-bought it mailorder in about 1965 or so(because it held 21 22 shorts-that is how I measured a gun when I was 14-more bullets= better gun) $43 delivered.Pretty little Browning 22's were $80 back then( held fewer bullets also-12 or so)
    Have a 10/22 HB nice rifle.
    Also a Remington 522?? or some number like that-nice rifle-older
    Little model 21 double action nickle plated Beretta 22-flip top-11 ounces or so
    Couple of 40's Glock 27(clunky ugly stubby pistol but very functional) Sig 229 nicer looking than Glock
    Mini 14
    Those Black powder guns(Goex??)-don't even require FFL to buy -do they??
    Yeah a black powder revolver or rifle-not exactly disarmed if you have that.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

I can't find fault with one word in the above. Just to add:

For me it's not only how Honda reacts to hybrid problems, it's how they react to problems (full stop). They seem to have their collective corporate head in the sand: when they turn their backs on customers with legit problems.

15. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I agree with you Mendel. H

16. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

You better watch those black powder rifles. A friend of mine's dad was recently labeled a "domestic terrorist" because of his large collection of black powder rifles and a store of food in his basement. It will be 5 years before his first parole hearing, but because of his age and poor health, he will probably die in prison.

17. phoebeisis

YIKES!!
    I didn't think Black Powder guns even required you fill out an FFL form??
    Didn't think they were officially "firearms" ??
    I know plenty of people with 10's of real firearms-100's even-collectors shooters - collecting is hobby like coin collecting -playing with cars RC planes etc.
    Hobby folks always buy sell trade-model train guy bought some stuff from me recently-same as the guns
    How in the world did he run afoul of the FEDS for having primitive guns like that??
    Poor guy!!

Well-I always had my doubts about Herm-maybe MANGOES is some sort of CODE??

Oh-we are kinda screwed Isaac wise.Dead on hit- but it is a wimp storm-so who cares-lotta rain-wind-lose power-get to start generator in the wind rain-always fun!
    Charlie

18. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Get ready for the zombies and fit a spike collar on that killer grey you have :)

Black Powder is a Class C explosive so perhaps that is the reason.. its harder to buy since many stores do not stock it. I use Pyrodex, a substitute.

19. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

I don't know. Maybe it's first drinks of corn squeezin poison gas is playing hell with her central nervous system or the digestive track. I will be driving it to work in the morning. See how that goes.

The reloading is going great as always. It's soooo darn nice to make your own ammo to your specs and shoot all you want of it. Retail ammo just sucks.

Wife shooting my G20. 5.15" LW Barrel and 3.5lb Connector. Barrel lapped out, chamber lightly cross hatched (honed). 22lb RSA and detailed out.

155gn XTP's over 13gn of Blue Dot with Mag Primers. A way over book round. A Nuke 10mm round. OO and her first time shooting it. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18291606@N04/7814912382/

The King of Glocks in a little Gals hands. Rockin the 10mm! :)

Here she is with her Smith 60 Pro shooting a well put together .38 +P. She tore the web of her little hand right off the bat shooting full house .357's. I patched her up with some super glue and she kept shooting away.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18291606@N04/7814757652/

20. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Yeah, that's the same thing I asked her when I heard. I said "aren't black powder guns considered antiques, and don't even need to be registered?" She said yes, they argued that position in court, but he's still going to jail. Be very careful of how things are going now. At this point as soon as the Gov't labels you a domestic terrorist, you're thrown in jail. This is a good primer on the subject: 10 ridiculous things that make you a terror suspect