C-MAX Hybrid Achieves 47 MpgUS City/Highway/Combined Rating

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Aug 8, 2012.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]That’s Hot!

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2013_Ford_CMAX_Hybrid.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - August 8, 2012

2013 Ford C-MAX -- $25,995 to start (incl D&H) and a 47/47/47 mpgUS city/highway/combined triple. There is already $1,000 on the hood even before it goes on sale?

Ford this morning let loose a PR that is sure to be broadcast far and wide. While Ford is pushing the C-MAX as a Prius v competitor, it is not quite large enough for that but is larger than the base Prius hatch. At 47 mpgUS across the board, it has nearly matched the ubiquitous fuel economy leader too!

The EPA certification is certainly significant and probably has more to do with the top EV/Glide speed of up to 62 mph than anything else. And it is yet another one of the recent "super cars" we cannot wait to take for a drive someday :)

Like the Fusion and Lincoln MKZh Hybrids, the C-MAX Hybrid is equipped with the beautiful, upgraded and mostly functional SmartGauge with EcoGuide. Another new feature I have not read about is ECO Cruise which is surely a DWL CC similar to that found in the current Honda Civic Lineup under their particular ECO mode.

The C-MAX Hybrid is expected to arrive with a base price of $25,995, including destination and delivery, which is $1,235 more than a Prius hatch and $1,300 lower than Toyota Prius v. According to Ford, the C-MAX Hybrid is currently available to order at select Ford dealerships nationwide.

2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid Interior

[​IMG]

If the C-MAX earned a 47 mpgUS combined rating, I wonder what Ford has in store for the upcoming 2013 FFH ;)

Additional write-ups on the Ford C-MAX Hybrid, PHEV and family can be found in the following:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Prolly sell a bunch of these.

Cmax energi will likely be the best value 'car with a plug' on the market for now.

3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

That picture shows an acre of plastic between the windshield and the dash..

4. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble sizing up this car. What does it compare to dimensionally? Toyota Matrix?

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

6. xcel

Hi Rich:

The C-MAX Hybrid is rated at 99.7 and 24.5 cu. ft. of passenger and cargo volume respectively.

It is a small midsize inside from the passenger’s perspective (larger than the Prius hatch and Prius v’s 93.7 and 97.2 passenger volumes respectively) and a compact hatch from the cargo cap volume (larger than the Prius hatches 21.6 cu. ft. of cargo volume).

IHTHs?

Wayne

7. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Of course we don't know yet the method by which the cargo volume was measured (floor-to-ceiling? Under-the-cargo-cover? Including or excluding under-floor storage?) since the EPA is completely inconsistent about it. Based on the size and shape of the car, though, I'm guessing it's floor-to-ceiling.

Which would make it almost exactly the size of my Elantra Touring. A perfect-for-me size of small wagon that barely exists anymore (especially with the new Elantra GT being downsized to bring it closer in line with the mainstream of 5-door hatchbacks).

I'm sure there are others like me who would like a skosh more room than the Prius liftback, but don't need quite the extra size of the Prius V and don't want its mpg penalty. Combine that with the domestic nameplate and the reasonable-for-a-hybrid price, and Ford will sell quite a few of these to small families who might otherwise buy small SUVs, Subarus or minivans.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  8. PaleMelanesian

The thing that concerns me is its relation to the Fiesta. The Fiesta is a cozy little car. To me it feels smaller than the numbers suggest.

Another thing is the cargo space looks to be tall and thin. I'd prefer low and long instead, more like the Prius.

9. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Andrew, It's built on the Focus platform, not the Fiesta. There is something wrong with the image you posted. The CMax is listed at 68" tall and the V is only 62". Looks like whoever did the image just scaled them all to the same height and this is making the CMax too small, it is not to scale.

Cargo space looks small to me from what I have seen, especially when they are begging comparisons to the V. I think interior volume is inflated do to height of the cabin particularly in the drivers area. Probably seating is more upright, like a crossover compared to these other cars.

I am noticing from the picture you posted that it has a partial camback, not as steep as the Prius liftback, but not as squared out as the V. Must be part of the key to better highway mileage.

10. PaleMelanesian

Ok, that's a little better if it's from the Focus.

I did that picture, scaling them based on wheelbase. (C-max 104" vs Prius 106) I found the images from google so the source images might be off. That is the only C-max profile photo I can find anywhere.

Edit: The C-max is in fact taller than the V, but only 63.9 vs 62.

11. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Just went to the "Build Your Own" section of Ford's website. C-Max SE is $25.9k to start, or $26.3 with heated seats and the winter package (the only upgrade I would choose, and nice to see it NOT bunched in with a bunch of other stuff I wouldn't want). SEL is $28.9k, including heated leather and Sync (things I not only wouldn't want to pay for, but would prefer NOT to have even if the price were the same).

The Energi model starts at $33.7k, at basically the SEL's trim level. That means the "plug-in premium" (versus the SEL) is less than $4k. Which I would love to have would be an SE level vehicle with the Energi drivetrain, for about $30k, but unsurprisingly that will not be offered.

12. RichXKU

RichXKU Well-Known Member

Yes thanks for the numbers. I'm just trying to compare to cars I know. That's several more cu ft than a Matrix.

Also, I hope those wheels make it to production. Simple but good looking alloys.

13. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Yes, my bad.

14. xcel

Hi Dan:

I am with you on the 20-mile AER Energi at 33.7K with the SEL appointments. If it were offered as an SE at $30K, now you really have my attention! See the Energi release I just posted for more.

Wayne

15. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

The C-Max Energi is eligible for a tax credit, the plain ole hybrid isn't (could also make a difference on HOV lane use, EV parking etc.)

16. wick1ert

wick1ert Well-Known Member

As opposed to the acre in the Prius currently? All of the more streamlined vehicles are going to get stuck with this abundance of plastic between windshield and dash because there's not much else you can do with that space.

My hope, is that Ford put their NHV work into these as well as they have other vehicles. I do admit the rattles in the Prius, esp in the winter, are quite obnoxious. I've also grown to dislike the flying bridge more than I did when I got the car. It's an obstacle anytime you need to move something from passenger seat to driver/out the door.

I will probably go test drive one when they get them out here. The more I read about this vehicle, the more interested I get in it. It's basically a slightly larger Prius, with a bit more power and higher glide. This may actually help give me better FE on my typical < 5mi commute, as the speed limits don't go above 55 on most of them, just a lot of traffic lights.

17. xcel

Hi Matt:

The warm-up hit in the Ford Hybrids is a little less onerous although from the v and c on, the Prius family has reduced that markedly as well. Not that the hatch was bad as it was more than an evolutionary change from the gen-II but they are better. Just not as good as Ford's is all.

In addition, I can almost guarantee the C-MAX hybrid will have better road feel and handling than the Gen-III.

Wayne

18. wick1ert

wick1ert Well-Known Member

I think my Geo Metro had as good of road feel as the Gen III has, and probably handled better lol. Ok, so it was a 2dr hatch vs 4dr, but I used to whip that Metro all over the place and on same commute I would never do it with the Prius. I need to look to see if there's better suspension upgrades out there that aren't an arm and leg.

With such a short commute for me, any warm-up hit is going to roughly even out. I've changed my commute about a year or so ago, to minimize the hit as much as possible. Although, my original purpose of doing it was to avoid the 3 lights in 1/10 mile that I'd hit otherwise.

KBB Trade In on my Prius is around 19k which is pretty darn good after 3 years. As much as I think the C-MAX will be a better ride overall, is it worth 10k of a car note to get that plus a brand new vehicle again? That's my dilemma, really. The financially smart side of me says to keep paying off current debt before acquiring more, but the "want it" part says to get it lol.

19. owlmaster08

owlmaster08 Well-Known Member

My dad just got the V and loves it so far. I suggested he look at the C-MAX before he got it but he already had and preferred the extra space the v had and also liked the lower cost. I, on the other hand, didn't need space and just needed a commuter car so I got the C, haha.

It will be interesting to compare C-MAX sales and V sales.

20. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

Wayne, when do you think you'll get your hands on one? I'm more interested in what you find, since the EPA are a bunch of incompetent wankers when it comes to determining fuel economy.