Wow! Saw a Think City tonight!

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by WriConsult, Jul 11, 2012.

1. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Leaf, Volt, blah blah blah. Ho hum. EVs are daily sightings in Portland. I think I saw at least 3 Leafs and one Volt today. I even see Zap Xebras regularly, since there's one that lives in my neighborhood and at least a couple others fairly close by. I've even spotted a couple of Teslas, at least one Fisker Karma, and a ZENN just last week.

But tonight, I got a new "first sighting", as a Think City EV drove right past my house!

Even upside-down, I recognized it as a Think, especially from the back with that distinctive tailgate. (It appeared upside-down because I was lying on my back, installing a trailer hitch on my car). Add another one to the list!

2. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I find that strange that you see EV's all the time. I live right outside Washington, DC where all the politicians are supposedly in love with EV's, but I have yet to see one in the wild, aside from the one Volt that just sits on the charger at the Chevy dealer down the street.

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Pretty cool! I've still yet to see another EV on the road here other than my own, though I know that there are demo LEAFs on dealer lots around here and I've heard of at least one (that was ORANGE???) sitting in a parking lot somewhere with temporary tags. (There's also one in St. Paul somewhere that belongs to a dual residency citizen who bought his down in AZ and then brought it up last November... but I've never seen it.)

4. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

I have only ever seen the Volt and that only twice over the past year or so (same owner) on the streets in and around Boston. Though I think the Leaf could fly under my radar if traffic is bad and I am struggling to keep my mileage up. EV chargers went into the parking garage at work about two weeks ago and I have yet to see anyone using them. Someone does have a Prius II with a plug-in kit that I see around town from time to time.

5. WriConsult

You are apparently unfamiliar with the urban Pacific Northwest. :D

6. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

You're right about that. I've never been there. Here in the DC area there's lots of hybrids, but I don't see any EV's.

7. EVuser

EVuser Well-Known Member

A friend bought a new Red ThinkCity about 2 weeks ago. I drove it and found it very nice. Huge by two seat standards. Would take a big shopping trip to fill the cargo area.

8. BigE

BigE New Member

First post here. Picking up my Think City at 2pm next Tuesday in PDX.

Not even close to the perfect vehicle, but right now I'm getting 10mpg in my truck on a good day, so this should be slightly cheaper to operate, given that I drive 40 miles round trip to work every day.

9. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

You should be under 3ยข/mile so it should be a LOT less expensive.

10. WriConsult

Cool, BigE. At Pacific NW power prices the per-mile costs are a lot cheaper than gasoline, like Neil said.

BTW, I've seen a number of Think Citys on the streets the last few weeks. One Sunday I saw several; I think they must have had some sort of test drive event going on.

BTW, Hawthorne Auto Clinic (whose owner lives near me and has been driving an aftermarket-converted Prius PHEV for several years) appears to be an actual dealership for these now.

11. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi BigE:

Any experiences to pass on? I have not read a single post about one from an honest to goodness Think! owner.

What did you pay as well?

The energy purchase savings vs. your pickup have got to be phenomenal!!!

Wayne