Bike rack for Hyundai Sonata

Discussion in 'General' started by jkp1187, Jul 2, 2012.

1. jkp1187

jkp1187 Well-Known Member

Hi all - just wondering if anyone can recommend a good bike rack for the rear of my 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Planning on taking a weekend trip in a month to the Laurel Highlands and would like to take my bike without occupying any trunk space.

2. Bike123

Bike123 Well-Known Member

Consider a hitch mount. We had a trunk mount for the Accord, but couldn't rest it on the glass trunk of the Prius. So we had to get a light-weight hitch receiver. I wish we had done the same for the Accord. Easier to get in the trunk, and nothing touching paint.

Tandems and triplet have to go on a roof rack, where wind resistance is much higher. I wouldn't choose the roof if I had a choice.

3. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

All told, if you're willing to go with a hitch (no need to bother with wiring) it's by far the best option. I finally ordered a hitch for my Elantra Touring the other day, and will be installing it by next week.

As for trunk-mount racks, I have heard lots of good reviews on the Yakima KingJoe racks, and unfortunately not-so-good reviews on their cheaper models like LittleJoe.

I may be buying a KingJoe myself soon, for occasional use on rental cars ... and also modifying it to carry skis. No one makes a trunk-mount ski carrier anymore, even though they used to be common. I think even Barrecrafters stopped making them, so I'm making my own. Don't want to resort to a roof rack, and we can't always spare the room in the car for skis.

4. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

BTW, the hitch for my Touring arrived today, and I installed it tonight. Super easy. Was able to do it without assistance in about 1/2 hour, using a hydraulic jack to prop up one end while I bolted in the other end. Unlike with a lot of cars, no cutting, drilling, fishtaping or tight fits were involved.