Picked up a new ride

Discussion in 'Street and Performance Bikes' started by FXSTi, Jun 19, 2012.

1. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

My Harley was six years old and reaching the 20,000 mark. It just wasn't doing what I wanted.. My interests in riding have shifted to longer trips on a more comfortable ride. The Harley was never a problem, but I had new bikeitus.

So, I decided on getting a sport touring machine. I narrowed my choices down to the Yamaha FJR 1300. I was hoping to find a decent used one, and test rode several. While out on a ride I found a new unsold inventory 2009 with the auto clutch. As I had tested two of the auto clutch models I knew it would work out. I was on the fence between that and a 2006 (manual clutch) with 25,000 and many of the common modifications already installed. The 2006 is owned buy an MSF instructor and in excellent shape.

Discussed it with the wife and she said I should go with the new one so I don't have to deal with other peoples problems and get a warranty.

So here it is:

[​IMG]

First tank was 44.34 mpg, which is not to bad for break in and not having the ability to pull in the clutch.

2. Congrats! Nice looking bike.

3. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

Yea, nice ride. What a difference from the Harley!

4. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Very nice! So, admittedly not familiar with auto-clutch... how is it different from a standard left-grip clutch? Is it similar to a scooter with a CVT?

5. 50 mpg by 2012

50 mpg by 2012 Well-Known Member

Beautiful machine!

May your roads and rides be safe ...

ENJOY!!

6. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Brandon,

Think more like a DCT that you still have to select the gears. The clutch is electronic, but gear selection is manual through the traditional foot shifter or the finger/thumb trigger. Engagement is a little jerky for the first take off on a cold clutch, after that it is as smooth as I ever was with a hand clutch.

The electronic clutch was sold with a premium price in the states, but didn't sell very well. Mine was the last model year they offered it here. They still sell it in the Asian and European markets.

I'm having a blast with it.

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

That's a beautiful motorcycle, Kirk.

8. alvaro84

alvaro84 Homura-chan's selfishness

Ah! So this is the FJR you mentioned @ ecomodder!