YawizGuy (Yaris)

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by YawizGuy, Jun 2, 2012.

1. YawizGuy

YawizGuy Member

This is my little background history about myself and my personal quest to save change at the pump. =) I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

My goal started back with my second car when I was going to college. It was a 2001 Mercury Cougar V-6 with an automatic transmission. Nice looking car with major mechanical issues causing it to be anything but a gas sipper. I was upside down with my Mercury and decided to jump ship before it got any worse.

At this point I promised myself two things...

1) Get a manual transmission car (not so much for saving gas, but just because I love to shift)
    2) Get a Toyota (Toyota fan at heart, and experience working on them)

My name is YawizGuy because, indeed, I do have a Yaris now and yes it is a manual transmission. I love this car so much. =)

As you could probably imagine, going from a V6 to a tiny I-4, I saved a lot of money on gas. At the time I didn't care or know about hypermiling. I was happy where I was with the gas improvement at the time...

Skipping all the long boring stuff in between like moving out my parents house and stuff and then you can imagine why I'm here...

Simply, I wanted to become more involved with my car during my commute and created a goal for myself called "The 400 Miles Per Tank Challenge"... So lately I have been researching this "hypermiling" stuff I came across and it appears I can surpass 400 easily if I follow just a few of the techniques the pro hypermilers employ.

Just the knowledge I gained so far has helped me feel like when I was 16 (22 now) and driving was new and exciting... Every outing seems like a personal mission. I mean, I don't know if this hypermiling is good or bad for me. Ha ha. I just want to get out and practice, for no reason, which is only counter productive, isn't it? =P

On the side, I hope to modify this car too, not only for max mpg, but performance and looks. I love aftermarket accessories. I want wheels, tint, engine mods... Blah blah blah... You know...

Anyways, look forward to learning. You can call me "Lee" also.

2. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Welcome to CleanMPG and thanks for the intro. It always helps to know a bit of background. Read the link in my sig for some great info here.

3. alvaro84

alvaro84 Homura-chan's selfishness

LOL, I know this feeling :D

I did not want to leave a big footprint from the beginning so I bought a motorcycle as a (first and) primary vehicle, so you can imagine :D :D :D

4. herm

herm Well-Known Member

When you are in your 40s you will think this about your early years: " Sheez we used to burn gasoline! "

You might even join a club to rally your carefully restored Yaris on the weekend, on specially preserved roads, converted to fusion power obviously but with sound systems to simulate the roar of an internal combustion engine.

5. YawizGuy

YawizGuy Member

I could only imagine. Lol.

As for an update I am at 415 miles with two bars left on my gas gauge. This is crazy! I also experimented with my work van. Driving like the old me I got 18.5 mpg and driving like I do now I got 22.5mpg. Its an 08 dodge caravan. :)

6. YawizGuy

YawizGuy Member

So I finished my first tank on "hypermiling." I made it to 450 miles with the last blip blinking on the digital fuel gauge in the instrument panel. That equates to about 46 miles to the gallon. I'm so impressed... But...

I'm aiming for 500 miles to the tank this time. This is pure insanity. =)

7. Bennett

Bennett Well-Known Member

That's how I it when I took the HCH on a long highway run. Couldn't believe it... Congrats on your tank!

8. YawizGuy

YawizGuy Member

Thank you. =)

9. Helloworld

Helloworld New Member

Hey YawizGuy. I am in the same boat.... or Yaris. Just picked up my 2008 MT LB last week. First thing I did was head to the filling station, topped off the tank and then drove 78 miles home. Upon arriving, again topped off the tank to learn I had achieved 41 mpg on my short first commute. I am hooked.

So what were the key things you did to achieve your first 400 mile tank? EOC (engine off Coasting)?, Coasting in neutral, increased PSI in tires? share your experience! I am right there behind you!

10. YawizGuy

YawizGuy Member

Hi hello world. I am achieving 47 miles per gallon by just using the advice I learned here. These include coasting to stop lights, leaving good spaces between you and cars in front of you, driving as though I have no brakes, timing lights, accelerating slowly, maintaining speed on highways consistently, and driving with load up hills. There are probably more but that's all I can think of for now.

As an update for my quest for high mpg I finally bought a scan gauge II. All I have to say is that it's amazing and I will be looking to get at least low fifties for mpg. :)

11. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Well done on you purchase of a gauge - it will serve you well on your quest!
    It sounds like you are doing all the right things.

12. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi YawizGuy:

With winter and colder temps approaching, do not get discouraged if your FE falls off a bit and on the bright side, you are starting from a relatively low level and you may even increase your capability through the winter months. Next spring, 60 + will be like shooting fish and a barrel ;)

Good Luck

Wayne