Under Pressure with the 2013 Nissan Altima

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, May 25, 2012.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]“Proper” air pressure as easy as filling the tire.

[fflash=left]http://www.youtube.com/v/PHs-HdtP1F0?version=3[/fflash]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - May 25, 2012

"Easy-fill Tire Alert" in action.

Underinflated tires triple driver’s risk of an accident and during the “Pump Your Ride to Savings” program held by the Milwaukee Hybrid Group, it is not uncommon to see 75% or more of the of automobiles tires we test to be underinflated. Some are so low that a blowout is not a matter of time but when.

While most automakers have introduced TPMS systems to comply with mandate’s, Nissan has gone a step further with its class exclusive and standard "Easy Fill Tire Alert" system on the upcoming 2013 Altima.

"Easy-fill Tire Alert" -- It Works!

When the tire-pressure warning system alerts the driver to a low tire pressure, a display shows the pressure and the relevant tire or tires. Then the driver should drop into a nearby gas station and grab the air hose. As the driver fills the tire, the car's four-way flashers come on to confirm that air is going in. When the tire is full, the horn chirps to let the driver know the process is complete.

If the driver puts in too much air, the flashers blink faster and the horn beeps three times. The horn chirps again after enough air is let out to reach proper inflation.

Nissan’s Vishnu Jayamohan for Product Planning and Advanced Strategy:
    Most do not carry a tire gauge in their glove box and at the 2013 Altima Preview; I did not see a single journalist pull out a tire gauge to check the pressures after the "Easy-fill Tire Alert" presentation. Someone you know did however and the TPMS display was within .5 psi of the actual after being bled down, overfilled and then air let out for the final horn chirp.

"Easy-fill Tire Alert" eliminates both the guessing and the gauge. The display shows the pressure for each tire. If the driver's tire pressure is down by even just a little bit, the driver is likely losing some fuel efficiency.

If you're planning to take any summer vacations, fuel economy matters, and so does the safety of you and your family.

It works wonderfully and thanks to Nissan, it is as easy as easy can get.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.......I dunno about this one.

3. Kurz

Kurz Well-Known Member

Hmm.... its going to get annoying if you want to keep your Air at Max Side wall.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Carcus:

Trust me, it's cool.

Kurz, it does not warn you of over inflation, it only warns you while filling to over inflation from under inflation while the car is on. Yeah, I checked that too ;)

Wayne

5. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

Great idea. I like the way it seems to work.

And helps us lazy Americans take care of a little thing that collectively could make a difference.

6. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I have a feeling my lights would be blinking and the horn would be beeping constantly.;):D

7. waltermlee

waltermlee Well-Known Member

What happens when the tire hits a road hazard and goes flat?

8. SoSlo

SoSlo Well-Known Member

In 2005, the only blowout I ever had, mine took several seconds after the big boom to start beeping at me. As I was pulling over to the shoulder, I thought, "Thanks a lot."

9. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

...And if that were to happen, we'd be reading about a sudden increase in UFO sightings in NE Indiana! I can almost hear the 911 tapes - "It was moving slowly and silently along the ground, at maybe 15mph, and it had red and amber lights that blinked three times and then it made a beeping sound. My kids are outside now looking for crop circles."

10. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

My '12 Leaf has this system and I can assure you it isn't bothering me constantly at "Sean Pressures (R)" ;)