2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv Automatic

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by dlister70, May 25, 2012.

1. dlister70

dlister70 Active Member

I'm currently doing about 35mpg on average since I bought my Mazda3. This includes in town driving to work and also drives out in the country ranging from 55 to 85mph (you know, just to see what she'll do :) Some driving with air conditioning, some driving where I'm in "manual" mode on the shifter, basically a little bit of every kind of driving.

I've really driven it hard and still come out at 35mpg over the first 1000 miles of her life..

Whenever the fun driving wears off and I start getting serious about saving fuel, I'm sure I could easily average over 40.

I'm loving this car. :)

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Dlister70:

The 3 is certainly a fun car to drive and with the SKYATIC 2.0, it is most certainly powerful enough to let the ponies run free. However do remember that winning the race to the next stop light or sign ahead does not entail any prize money ;)

Enjoy the ride.

Wayne

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

On the other hand , driving in a sensible fashion can pretty much guarantee some extra money in your pocket. Decisions, decisions , decisions. What's a young cowboy supposed to do ?

4. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

Congrats on your new 3....

I have to admit, seeing people whiz by me going 10-15 over the psl every day sometimes makes me want to "zoom" myself. Then I look down at my Scan Gauge and think about what will happen to my average mpg's if I mashed the go-pedal, then the temptation diminishes.

This morning on my 30 mile commute, I finally broke 50 mpg. Personally, that’s plenty of excitement for me!:)

5. xcel

Hi Andy:

That is a great accomplishment and congrats!

Wayne

6. 50 mpg by 2012

50 mpg by 2012 Well-Known Member

7. V8toilet

V8toilet Member

You won't be disappointed with the gas mileage. I've been averaging 33.1 mpg traveling 85% interstate at about 70-71 mph with cruse control in my FWD Sport CX-5. Two days ago I discovered hypermiling and this site. I starting applying the novice techniques at the 1/2 tank level and keeping the speed between 60 mph and 66 mph and I'm up to 34.6 mpg already in just 90 miles from 32 mpg. It also corners like a sports car and the automatic transmission is fantastic. :) Did try to purchase a manual but I would have had to wait 3 months for it. :(

8. 50 mpg by 2012

50 mpg by 2012 Well-Known Member

I am glad you are having a great experience with your CX5. May it serve you well!

Please keep us informed of your FE progress and experiences/observations.

Apparently, based on the information I have, the US SkyActiv-G MT and AT deliver almost identical fuel economies, both EPA and user experience.

I was hoping for the ~30% improvement in FE with the US SkyActiv-D like the EU CX5 MT.

However, the SkyActiv-D AT CX5 apparently doesn't enjoy the same benefit. And, the missus doesn't like manuals ...

9. shadescape

shadescape Banned

Hi- I'm thinking about the CX5
    could you do something sometime- drive at 60mph, no ac, no winds, no hills-ideal conditions- tell what you think and what mpg you're getting-

10. xcel

11. V8toilet

V8toilet Member

At 65 mph on level ground the current MPG gauge reads between 40 and 42 MPG. As soon as I hit a decent hill though if I try to maintain that speed it can go down to 25-28 MPG. I'll try 60 and get back.

Tried to find the most level ground I could. Its hard to tell sometimes without some instrument to tell me. At 60 mph the instant display was showing 40.7 MPG.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  12. xcel

Hi V8:

Do not try and maintain a steady speed uphill, allow your CX-5's speed to droop but maintain Load per your SG-II. If you do not have an SG-II, lock your foot to the accelerator pedal and do not allow it to move as you climb, crest and descend. THI sis the DWL technique and saves a lot of fuel.

I hope that helps?

Wayne

13. dlister70

dlister70 Active Member

It's been a few months with the Mazda 3, and I've been averaging just over 30 mpg with a lot of town driving and still a few drives in the country. Since it said it would get 28mpg in the city, I guess I shouldn't be disappointed, but I was much happier when I was getting 35mpg. :) The country drives were really helping my average, but I haven't been taking as many of those..

My last fill up showed me getting only 28.8 mpg, and I started trying to think of what I could do to raise it in the city. I remembered that I had never checked the air in the tires on this vehicle, so I checked and they were pretty low at like 29-30psi. The tire said the max was 44psi, and I think I put in 42psi if I remember correctly.

I filled up today and the average on that tank was up to 34 mpg. What a difference a little air can make! :)

I'm about 3,800 miles in, and still loving this car. It's the right mix of sporty and fuel efficient for me. But whenever Mazda gets around to making a hybrid with a Skyactiv engine, I'll be first in line. :)

14. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

dlister70, What techniques are you using?

Your new gasser will be less forgiving of sloppy technique than the Civic Hybrid. If you are using the gas/brakes too much and/or not shutting the ICE off at stop-lights you will get close to EPA I would guess.

On the other hand, if you are effectively DWB, DWL, shutting off at stop lights, max tire pressure, etc, you should be in the mid- to high-30s no problem.

Good luck!

15. dlister70

dlister70 Active Member

My commute to work is pretty rough on my mileage.. it's about 1.5 miles with 6 stop signs (not lights where I might catch a break). If I'm extremely careful, I can get 25mpg.. if I put my foot into it (zoom zoom zoom!), it's more like 15-18mpg 10 times a week (I come home for lunch each day).

When I take a country drive I can get 44-48mpg pretty easily at 55mph. On the highway at 70-75mph, it's more like 35-42mpg.

So if I take some drives, my average is fine.. but if I'm just going back and forth to work, my average sucks. :)

16. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Yeah, 1.5 miles with 6 stops is going to be tough. I can aggressively FAS my FIT and get 30-40 mpgs on those sorts of trips in the summer, but that is getting harder to do with the fall weather. If your car can't FAS or if you are not comfortable with the technique then you are going to have a tough go of it.

Might be good to focus on Gallons per Day. Even at 15 mpg you are doing awesome in terms of Gallons per day.

17. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

That's right.

I score exactly 0 gallons most days, but make it up with occasional 10-gallon days and a couple of (roughly) 1-gallon days per week.