New 2012 Insight owner

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by rhin0923, May 11, 2012.

1. rhin0923

rhin0923 New Member

Great to see a dedicated forum for Insight II owners. Picked up a new 2012 last night.
    Traded the much loved 2010 Fit auto. That saw 42mpg highway with only mild application of known techniques. Reading here, I am just scratching the surface as to whats possible.

47.5 mile trip, computer reports 64.5. And another sub 30mph average 8.4 mile trip returned 63.1. Super pleased with this, as its my daily work route. Fit's best ave was 34.4. I was set to be pleased with 50. 63 blew me away.

Are you guys seeing much better? Surely I could not have nailed my best #'s first run before the car is even broken in. Are you seeing the computer to be accurate? The fit was had very little error. +- 2 mpg.

Anyone care to short list first mild changes to make in terms of physical? I plan to bump tire pressure to at least 40, but ride comfort will be a factor I must admit. Read about the 0w20 oil, but I was told by service manager that Honda has special break-in oil from factory I dont want to change till the HMMonitor says to do so. True?

Any techniques that work best for the insight for highway, city? ScanGauge II as useful as it appears? Lean burn mode possible in our car?

Look forward to reading this site through and through.

2. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Welcome and congratulations, rhin0923! Keep us informed of your experiences with your new Insight.

3. rhin0923

rhin0923 New Member

Will do! Looking very forward to seeing how far I take the MPG numbers.

-Chad

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Welcome to the site, Chad!! You've got a fantastic car to work with. :) There is more where those numbers came from but the computer is a tad optimistic -- you'll be able to see the offset after a few tanks.

Your vehicle doesn't have lean burn so the ScanGauge works really well for tracking mileage (as opposed to my lean burn capable first generation Insight where the gauge can't figure out what the fuel consumption actually is). I highly recommend the ScanGauge for conventional vehicle drivers but it will also help you improve your mileage in the Insight by allowing you to track more than the dash can show you.

Just keep your speeds down on the highway and try to avoid stopping whenever you drive! Stay away from the temptation of heavy use of EV mode, too -- it is very inefficient in the Insight because it must turn the engine (without using fuel) as well as move the car. Just use that EV mode for engine off glides without using the battery.

Good luck and enjoy your new car! We look forward to more questions and fantastic results from your new driving efforts. :flag: