New '12 optima owner

Discussion in 'Kia' started by carrmann, May 6, 2012.

1. carrmann

carrmann Well-Known Member

Just acquired a new 2012 optima. I couldnt get a MT sadly, so its a 2.4l 6spd auto. Any easy mpg saving tips for it? I know all the basics etc, just curious if it has any sweet spots, or anything that hurts it mpg wise!

Love it so far. Really nice car considering i walked out the door at 20k :woot:
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Congratulations!!! You've purchased yourself a fantastic vehicle.

Pictures? :D
  3. carrmann

hopefully these work
  4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Carrmann:

I know you were looking at a number of vehicles previously so what made you finally pull the trigger on one of the best mid-sizes you can buy ;)

5. carrmann

this site lol. so many good reviews online everywhere I went. test driving it, nice clean car, cheap price, good fuel economy, lots of space. not too many downs lol.

seems to be the right time/right place too. Got exactly what I needed out of my truck as a trade-in to pay off my loan etc. etc.

now I get to practice doing my best to get better than advertised fuel economy with it :)
  6. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Just do the usual that you would recommend for anyone...
    Plenty of air in the tires, stay at or under the speed limit, keep it rolling (smart braking, light timing, etc), and avoid idling (use the big strong legs God gave you to walk into the building rather than sit in the line at the Drive-Thru).

How old are you? It's always fun to add 10 to the number to see how old you'll be when the powertrain warranty ends. I recently told my brother that if he buys a new Kia, most if not all of his kids will be out of the house - either married or away at college - and the car's powertrain will still be under warranty. What an odd look he had on his face when thinking about that.

And congrats on the new Optima. I remember you had the Optima's cousin a couple of years ago, so you know it "fits" you well (comfortable seats, plenty of head/leg room and so forth). Remember - Keep the engine running when the car is moving with any Hyundai/Kia A/T. Other than that one limitation I can think of, the rest of the techniques are available, so feel free to explore what's possible.
  7. EVuser

EVuser Well-Known Member

Nice choice. Congrats........ new automotive sales seem to be up.
  8. carrmann

yip, thats all the normal stuff I do haha.

god may have given me strong legs, but the military replaced one of my feet with a gimp one.. so while walking into a store is possible, sometimes walking when I used to is no longer the case! i do my best though.

Im 28 actually. No wife, no kids. Military is about to retire me, so who knows where I'll be in 10 years (i sure dont...).

thanks! I had a sonata hybrid actually, had to sell it back to dealership due to divorce (d'oh).
  9. MaxxMPG

I hear you. My wife has a very bad back injury and on days when the barometer is too high or too low, she will "do the drivethru", but will key-off to make the best of it. She has the same basic car you have, but with a stick. As you found out, Kia dropped the M/T from the Optima for 2012, and Hyundai dropped it from the Sonata for 2013.
    None of us know where we'll be in 10 years. But I know what you won't be doing for the next 10 years (or 100k) - forking over a four-digit chunk of money for a major engine/trans repair!
    Yes, I remember. And with the new Optima, you're already used to the car, with minor variations like having to turn a key to start it instead of pushing a button, and having enough trunk space for a serious road trip (now how would I know that?!)
  10. carrmann

ah... well thats why I couldnt find one lol. i asked, the salesman said he had never seen a 6spd new style optima.

yip, thatll be nice indeed.

yip, it'll be easier to shut it off now, and restart it at lights etc. it was a pain with the on/off switch in the sonata.
  11. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Very nice pictures!!
  12. carrmann

thankie! lookin forward to what my first tankful is going to come out to. :)
  13. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Very cool! This "would" have been our new car had we had the cash for it! We "settled" for an 06 Accord, but it has a stick. :p
  14. carrmann

Im excited! Already put 4 full size people in the car. 3 of us were over 6ft, and everyone was quite comfortable.

Do wish it had a stick tho. test drove a kia soul with a stick.. was tempting but no cruise, and wrong color. Plus im not a fan of the looks at All.
  15. carrmann

in terms of a glide say to a stoplight or stop sign (there is a lot on my commute that I cant avoid), am I better off leaving it in gear, or putting it into N? i know some cars shut the injectors off when u leave it in gear and let the momentum of the vehicle continue spinning the engine without consuming fuel.. hence the question. it definitely glides farther in N than in gear though.

16. MaxxMPG

If your commute is short, the engine may never get warm enough for fuel cut. Also, fuel cut tends to occur when the car is moving at highway speeds and then it holds down to about 30mph. Around town when the engine is fully warmed, you can get fuel cut down to about 25mph, although on my car, I have to lift my foot abruptly off the accelerator rather than easing off.

Gliding in N is the best choice if you are off the pedal early enough to make the most of the longer gliding distance. If you're below 25mph, you won't see fuel cut and so the longer NICE-on distance is what you want if you want to make the most of the car's momentum.

It also bears repeating that acceleration should be easy enough to keep the tach near or below 2 as you leave those stop signs, and then coast as needed to time the lights. Smart braking is also a good strategy to try to keep the big car rolling as much as possible.
  17. carrmann

so it does have fuel cut?

my commute is about 13 miles. plenty of time for engine to warm up. especially since its already in the 70s at 6am here now.

highway speeds meaning above apprx 45mph i take it? i checked my 'avg mph' in my car today, after 300 miles of driving, and it showed 27mph lol. the part that kills my mpg (only showing 32.5mpg on the avg tripmeter) is getting onto base, and then driving on base. its all stop signs on base, and to get on base I have to go through a huge line of stop/go at the gate.

thanks maxx
  18. MaxxMPG

Yes, it does have fuel cut, and with the engine at operating temperature (one pip under half on the temp gage), and speed over about 40mph, the injectors will cut off and the car will downshift as needed to keep rpm over about 1200.

Your average speed of 27 is about right. Most cars will display and average mph between 20 and 30 thanks to today's dense thicket of stop signs and poorly timed traffic lights.

Your 32.5mpg average is above EPA for mixed driving, and it will improve a bit as the car logs some more miles. The gage is probably a little optimistic but you're still over 30mpg. You may want to use Google Maps or mile markers to figure out how far underclocked your odometer is so you can determine actual miles for fuel economy calculations. My guess is that it's about 2% under, but it varies.

Not much you can do about stop signs but you can minimize the damage by accelerating to a speed that allows you to glide the majority of the distance to the next stop sign. As a condolence, consider how much fuel you are saving compared to FSPs that roar from one red octagon to the next, with the driver firmly flooring one of the two pedals.

Here is a brief video of Ben Stiller and Robert DeNiro demonstrating how *not* to drive from light to light -
    That segment of the movie was recorded in Port Washington, NY - not too far from where I live. And I can say that most local residents drive as shown in the movie.
  19. carrmann

ok thanks maxx. good to know i appreciate it!

left it at dealership, and they let it idle for a while.. so it messed up my avg. ended up just filling it up to get a better baseline. came out to 29.4mpg tho.
  20. carrmann

in regards to that video.. its sad but true.

i love it when people hauuulllll past me cuttin people off etc, and then I pass them as they are stuck in whatever lane they ended up in. lol.

i have a friend that drives like that... he followed me to my house from his, he has a 4wd ecoboost f150 that he averages 17mpg with, following me he got 24mpg. he had never gotten that good.