A new horse in the Daly stable

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by FSUspectra, May 2, 2012.

1. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Well, I had been mentioning (mumbling) about a long coming replacement for my wife's 1995 Honda Accord EX we bought 3 years ago. We only paid $2600 for it, and it ended up being a "small" money pit. We probably put at least what we paid for it back into it. Well, wife and I decided we needed a slightly larger, newer, and safer vehicle. We luckily have a buyer for the old Accord, which we agreed to sell to him for $2500. He is a co-worker of my wife's and was looking for a beater/daily driver to keep him from driving his 2 diesel trucks to and from work. They have horses, so the trucks are legitimate. ;)

She was very much against anything without a gearbox, and a manual one at that. That cancelled out every hybrid on the market for now, but we happened to be perusing craigslist one night and happened upon what would end up in our driveway about 48 hours later. :)

We drove to a dealer in Jacksonville to check it out, and aside from cosmetic blemishes, it was a gem!

So, we welcomed our 2006 Honda Accord LX Special Edition to our home for a mere $8000 cash off the lot. :)

It has the 2.4L I4 with the 5-speed manual transmission, now just over 104,000 miles. It came with 4 matching tires (Triangle Talon Sport 205/60R16) which I already hate, but they will be worn down and replaced with more appropriate tires when the time comes. ;) The fronts are new, the rears are half worn. There is a slight pull to the right, which I am *hoping* is alignment related, but may be an nonadjustable caster issue, which may be matched to the wheel with some nice curb rash. Maybe a slightly bent control arm. More digging will be needed. Otherwise, the car has been on a lift and fully inspected. A couple of body panels have been replaced, but no frame work has been done, and all components are factory with untouched bolts, so that was a relief. All airbags are also original (dash fade confirms).

The interior is mostly clean. Previous owner had white/silver dog for sure, and has smoked in the car at some point because of the obvious small burn marks on the door fabric and one on the headliner. It also has the dreaded dead radio backlight issue very common with the 03-07 model year Accords. The back light goes out due to a specific resistor, located right up against the radio heat sink, that overheats and fails. Way to go, Alpine... :rolleyes:. There are posts on the DriveAccord forum that detail the repair, which will be done at some point this summer. Was also worth talking the dealer down on price (Now I have to buy a $400 radio on ebay!!!! :( ;) ). Car runs like a top, but I fear basic maintenance has been neglected, so I am in the process of changing ALL fluids out. New rear brake rotors were needed, so new pads were installed as well, not to mention $20 cheaper thanks to the Wagner Thermoquiet pads rebate. Next to be done will definitely be tinted windows! It is also due for spark plugs, which will be done eventually.

This will be a general update thread for the car, including any work done to it (or with it ;) ). Glad to have it! It will be mostly her daily driver, but will also be our family trip car, as it is slightly larger, and just as capable as my Spectra. I will also have to find a way to install and hide the Scangauge for when I want to use it and so it is calibrated. She does not want to see it and "be distracted" by it while driving. I will not fight her on this. But it will be on the dash when I am driving it. It has not yet been installed.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Brandon:

Holy smokes, an honest to goodness stick! You'll surely be punching out 60 when she's not driving :rolleyes:

Congrats on purchasing a great car for a good price. And for some reason it looks so familiar but I cannot quite place my finger on it :D

It really needs some Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max's to let her run too!

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Very nice! And that's a great price. Stick shift... :D

I'm sorry Wayne, but I like this style of taillights much better than the '05.
  4. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Wow, considering the market that seems like a good price for an Accord of that age and mileage. I didn't realize the Special Edition was available with MT (maybe I'm thinking of the Value Package). Congratulations on the purchase.
  5. FSUspectra

Quite frankly, we got the excellent price because it was an honest-to-all-sorts-of-AMAZING-goodness stick shift. :D The dealer said it was on his lot since mid-December.

I forgot to mention, I also installed a larger battery to replace the Group 51R this car takes, even though it was brand new. Wanted more, amps, yo! ;) Thanks guys. I agree, this car was just WAY too good to pass up!
  6. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

That's fantastic, Brandon!! What a snag! :thumbs_up:
  7. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Congratulations!.. timing belt or chain in this car?

Rotate the tires and see if the pulling problem goes away, the tires may have taken a set sitting in the lot such a long time.
  8. FSUspectra

herm, timing chain, thankfully :)

And yes, I also was thinking radial pull/tire setting, and will rotate the tires this weekend to test. Otherwise, I will get the alignment checked at some point, perhaps not even until I put new tires on the car.
  9. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Congrats on the car Brandon.

Just wanted mention that your last name is my mothers maiden name and my youngest daughter's first name.

My grandmother and grandfather had the same lat name before they got married, but claim there is no relation.
  10. lxmike

lxmike Well-Known Member

Nice find Brandon! I have been looking at the pics trying to help you/wife with the SG placement :p
    Maybe to the left covering the tach some??

What is that above the far side vent??
  11. FSUspectra

Mike, it's an iPhone holder, for when she uses it as GPS, playing her music through the stereo, or when she is on speakerphone.

For the SG. Any ideas, Wayne? I am thinking of tucking it somewhere in the center console/armrest until needed, then velcroing it to the top of the dash or steering column. Would have to figure out how to run the wire though so it isn't in the way when stowed, but still records tanks. Unless, I just make her deal with it until it's calibrated, then just take it out all together until I use it, and just use it more for instant and trip averages, but not necessarily for whole tanks.
  12. mikefxu

mikefxu Member

Good deal. I paid $10k for my 04 Accord LX Sedan I4 Manual in 07 with 108k. Now at 165k and still running strong. Fun car to drive. I run mine hard and the worst I can do is 25mpg and the best on flat 70mph cruise control is 33mpg.
  13. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Would she object to a blend mount above the rear view mirror?
  14. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice buy Brandon! Hope she serves your family well.
  15. FSUspectra

Thanks Gord, I'm sure it will. :)

Kirk, interesting history there, and thanks for sharing. :)

Sean, I will have to talk with her about it. She may "let" that swing, or I'll just have to do it anyway, and turn the backlight off so she can't complain about "seeing" it. :D

I recently dug deeper into the shudder under load and am diagnosing it to a bad front motor mount and driver side transmission mount. Need to confirm, but pretty sure I saw them cracked. Will get a jack under the motor to test them this weekend. Front one is hydraulic and pricey, about $120. Trans mount I think I saw for about $60. Still need to confirm these though, and should only take a couple of hours, I'm guessing.
  16. YawizGuy

YawizGuy Member

Very clean. =) I'm jealous. =)
  17. FSUspectra

Well, $130 and 4 hours later, new front and rear hydraulic motor mounts are installed and the 60mph shimmy is all but gone! I think one (or both) of the axles may also be going out as there is still a slight vibration, but it may also be a tire. Going to ride with what it has (Triangle Talon Sport) until they are worn out. If it gets worse, I may have them check the balance.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  18. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

Have you performed the Radio surgery yet? Our 2003 has backlight rarely now and will just cut out and back on for no apparent reason. Just wanted to see if the fix on the other forum worked for you or not.

Are you going to try the simple jump with the wire or try and find a fuse for it?
  19. FSUspectra

I have not done it yet, but it is on the short list of stuff to do, but may not be done if she can't leave the car to sit still long enough. It may not be done until September or so.

I can't seem to find a small enough fusable link or wire, so I think I am just going to jump it and solder over the resistor. I'll try and take pics and share the result. Otherwise, I guess I'll start saving for a new headunit, because I refuse to do the tacky single din in the cubby conversion.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  20. FSUspectra

Well, both front axles have been replaced (by yours truly ;) ) for $141 and the vibration is gone! Next on the list is the radio display surgery.