Weird fuel consumption behavior (civic hybrid 2006)

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by avp_warrior, May 1, 2012.

1. avp_warrior

avp_warrior New Member

Hello everyone,
    I just got myself an used Civic Hybrid 2006 with 47K km on it. My current FE is around 5.3 L / 100 km or 44.5 MPG mostly city driving over 1.5K km of driving distance.

However, I've noticed the following weird behavior every time i start up the car (especially in the morning):

The car runs fine when I accelerate but when slowing down to a stop or red light, the fuel-consumption gauge would goes down and then goes all the way up (filling up the gauge) until the car has immobilized. This would occurs while decelerating/braking until the regenerative-braking system kicks in (usually after the engine has warned up).

The car is currently running on Amsoil synthetic 0w20 Signature engine oil and Eneos synthetic CVT fluid.

Does anyone know if this is normal for HCH2 or what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

2. Bennett

Bennett Well-Known Member

I have an 08 HCH2. The iFCD will jump up and down when (to me) it's maxxing out at/above 100mpg and the engine is closing the valves (so no fuel is being used, even though the engine is "turning over". This seems to confuse the computer somewhat. I can get the same thing to happen with some glides - once I apply the throttle again, or brake, it sorts itself out.

I'm not sure if it's a minor hiccup in the software or what. The car seems happy enough :) Between the iFCD the aFCD, rpm and the regen/charge meter I can figure out what the car's trying to do I think. It doesn't seem to affect the mpg calculations - it's just an instantaneous display.

Kudos for getting an 06 with 29k miles on it. I thought I was doing well with an 08 with 29k!

If you've not seen it already, I found the following write-up extremely useful for getting the most out of the HCH. It strikes me as one of those cars that an average person can do well with, but if you know what you're doing you can get some crazy numbers out of it.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

Bennett

3. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

This is normal until the car has warmed up. Once you notice regen then everything does its normal thing. H