Definition of a reliable, dependable vehicle - look no more!

Discussion in 'GM' started by TheStepChild, Apr 28, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

Truck turns 5years old on 01 May 2012. Well thats the day I picked her up from the dealer new. I think I got my moneys worth out of the $42,000 sticker price.

Off the dealer lot with 360 hp at the engine. Modded it for some long haul highway cruising and dyno'ed at 462/930 at the wheels afterwards, and still able to hit 25+ mpgs

IMHO, This kind of reliability sets a bar that all manufacturers should try to reach. This has been THE BEST vehicle I have ever owned!

5 years, just over 376,000 miles, and more to come! With the exception of about 300 miles the Agent drove thru Iowa coming back from Utah one time, its been all me in the drivers seat.

Pic of odometer yesterday, turned 376 before I got back to the shop.

2. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Congratulations! :flag:
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi James:

That is indeed remarkable considering the amount of heavy tow miles you have accumulated on your Silverado HD. A LD P/U from any manufacturer would not take the loads and a HD vehicle from the other manufacturers during that year (2007) would not have provided the longevity or reliability.

Good choice for a vehicle that provides your family with a paycheck on an almost daily basis.

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

James , remember when I referred to (most) pickup owners as "rednecks" ? You were pretty good-natured about that. I now say that you have a good reason to have a truck, and that it's a very efficent truck , and you use it for what it is meant.
    Now I need to focus my rage on a new target : soccer moms in SUV's !
  5. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Well-Known Member

No tranny problems yet?
    I dump my 03 once the tranny went bad last year
  6. Thanks all.

And another "news flash" :) Made the last payment on it Friday:woot:

She's all mine now:D

I have never kept a vehicle thru the entire loan before, or put this many miles on one.

Still dont know if I got the contract on the bid I put in so I dont know if I'm retiring the truck yet or not.

Going to have to spend a couple $$ on it if I still run it. Tires are up to 153,000 miles on this set now. There goes $1100 if I get new ones. And I could really use a new windshield, this one is pitted BAD from all the miles.

Oh, I most likely have plenty of redneck in me. It shows at times:bananapowerslide:
  7. No trans problems at all.

I did hit a brick that took out the driveshaft and cracked the tail housing last year, but not really a mechanical failure or trans issue.

Added a Trans Go Jr shift kit back around 130,000 miles.

Regular fluid and filter changes (both the spin on and the internal filter).

If your 03 was the dmax, it had the 5 speed. The 6 speed they switched to in 06(I think) is supposed to be a bit better
  8. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

The Allison transmission will probably outlive you, so you will want to include it in your will as a perpetual asset/possession.

The '03 transmission that failed on Airbalancer was - if it had a gas engine - probably a half ton with the 4L60E, which is an updated TH700R4 that hails back to the early 80s. Although they've beefed it up over the years, it's still a toy compared to the Allison truck transmissions.

I can't think of any reason why a well-maintained Duramax can't go half a million miles and more without major work, and the miles will be even sweeter now that you own it free-n-clear.
  9. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Congrats! My 1998 GMC Sierra K1500 has 181,000 miles, drives & rides extremely well, and runs so smooth & quiet that you can't even hear it running from 10 feet away. All this, and I can do 30% over the EPA ratings while I have the cruise set on 70 MPH, AND I have 1,000 pounds of cargo in the back. Only deviations from stock are I modded the air intake to pull warm air from the engine bay, a 165 amp alternator, and I have load range E tires on it.
  10. I've seen pics of a couple 06-07's with 1,000,000 on 'em.

Makes me think I should sell the spare transmission I bought a couple years back. Got a good price on an 07 6 speed 2wd trans so I grabbed it. been sitting in the garage collecting dust.
  11. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Any of the transmissions, as long as they're properly maintained, should last a very long time. Mine has a 4L60E, but I had it flushed & filled with synthetic ATF. I think the 4L60E's problem is once the vehicle hits 100,000 miles many people are reluctant to spend the money on proper maintenance. When mine hit 150,000 miles I had every fluid flushed & filled. It cost nearly $1,000 if I remember correctly. I know many that would not do $1,000 worth of maintenance on a 150,000 mile vehicle. Also around that time I also replaced all 4 shocks with factory correct Bilstein shocks, and had E rated Michelins installed with an alignment.
  12. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Well-Known Member

4speed, had a it fluids change at 60,000 miles, transfer case got a fine hair line creak it
    Then with the deals last year I just got a new truck
  13. my 4l80 in the 99 express van is crying BAD. I dont think they (the 4l80/85) can handle the load and weight I put in the van. The 2006 dmax van I bought new, with a 4L85e went thru 3 transmissions before I sold it. All under stock power levels and thank goodness, under warranty.
  14. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

That's odd. The transmission in my 2000 GMC Savanna 3500 1 ton runs flawlessly at 135,000 miles. One of the most reliable vehicles we've ever had, and we load ours heavy as well.
  15. Well, got back from a trip to South Carolina and retired the truck today. Last trip. 387,000 on the odometer. Worked out good. I had bought a spare Transmission a couple years back, just in case something went bad on mine. Sold it to a guy in SC, he met me at the delivery point.

I'll be going from about 75,000 miles a year to maybe 5,000 a year on the truck. Got a pile of parts I've collected along the way as cheap back-ups or stock stuff I replaced with aftermarket that I'm going to try to sell too.

Going to clean out and clear out the truck of all commercial stuff, and some toys. Move the scan gauge to the van (get ready to start seeing those mpg numbers again:eek:) CB radio is coming out, Wilson wireless cell phone signal booster. I'll pull the seats and clean the carpets real good, get all the dog hair and food out. Allison the dog went with me on almost every trip - so much so that when the Agent would go Allison the Dog would give her dirty looks for sitting in the front seat.

Its been fun, I made some $, saw 46 out of 50 states and alot of Canada too. But it's time. I know I'm going to have withdraw symptoms and have to go on a random road trip for no good reason.
  16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

No better way to reduce gas consumption than not driving.

Home, James!
  17. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

End of an era, that's some miles you put on it James :D
  18. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

WOW- lotta miles!! HARD MILES!!
    Yeah you got your $$ worth-$1100 "depreciation" per 10,000 miles.
    Most folks pay $30,000 for a vehicle-and dump it for nothing at 120,000 miles-paying well over $2500 per 10,000 miles.
    You made money with those 376,000 miles

GM has/had QC problems but their basic truck drivetrains are very reliable,and cheap to repair replace.
    Yeah my GM has been as good as my Toyota Nissan Honda cars(and much cheaper since it was used and practically free-this ignores fuel costs but I have need of a large interior volume vehicle second car-and drive just 2500 miles yr).