GM’s Priming the Pump for Its Future Cruze With The 2.0L Turbo Diesel

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Apr 26, 2012.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG]Boy is 2013 going to be fun!

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/chevrolet-cruze-2-0-vcdi-turbodiesel-europe_100341108_l.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - April 26, 2012

The face of the 2013 Chevrolet Cruze ECO with the all-new real Eco called diesel inside.

As of this moment, GM is planning to provide US consumers with its much anticipated 2.0L turbo diesel placed within next year’s Chevrolet Cruze that will be due for a mid model cycle refresh.

Even though diesel car sales account for just 3 percent of U.S. sales today thanks to lack of offerings, a limited supply of those offerings and high prices (again due to limited supply), turbo diesel uptake is trending higher.

According to the Diesel Technology Forum, turbo diesel sales grew more than 27 percent last year, and may reach as high as 6 percent of sales by 2015.

While GM sold more than half a million turbo diesel equipped cars to the rest of the world including Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and South America, both North America and Antarctica (no permanent residents actually live there) were provided with exactly “0” vehicles to purchase.

The North American introduction of the 2.0L turbo diesel engine in the Cruze will make Chevrolet the only domestic automaker offering an American manufactured turbo diesel equipped car next year.

Diesel engines and the fuel that drives them have long been known for their thermodynamic and energy content properties that provide vastly superior fuel economy over gasoline. What they have also been known for is a number of offerings from yesteryear that were anything but stellar. We will not get into since the past is best left in the past. Compact cars with diesel engines typically deliver more than 40 miles per gallon, ok performance, strong durability and high lease residual values (up to 30 percent higher than traditional multi-port-fuel injection (MPFI) gasoline-powered vehicles according to a recent Carnegie Mellon University study) which GM hopes the Cruze Diesel will provide once released.

The turbo diesel engine drawbacks have been almost entirely eliminated. With precision controlled common rail direct-injection fuel systems, advanced combustion control and affordable new emission controls technology, the diesel not only stands a chance but depending on how it is priced, could by itself move the scales to a more fuel efficient fleet while providing owners some more relief at the pump.

[​IMG]
    The next Cruze ECO may be fueled by something a little more efficient than the current gasoline only offering.​

Turbo diesels in Europe account for 50% of the automobiles on the road and there should be no reason not to expect at least a 10% share here in the US? The across the board fuel savings alone are almost incomprehensible. Ahead we have at least 12-years of stable emissions regulations including future Tier III, therefore, diesel emissions controls are no longer a hurdle. Pricing is inline. Average diesel fuel costs are closing in on gasoline with US refinery upgrades coming online. Diesel automobile pricing is reasonable and TCO is a slam dunk. Is it not about time we see the gas only options next to a reasonably priced diesel option as well?

In addition, there are number of diesel surprises on the horizon. We know about the previously announced 2012 launches of the Mazda 6, VW Beetle, Audi Q5 and A8. We also have a little knowledge on 2013 launches of the Audi A6 and A7 and the much anticipated 2013 Cruze with the 2.0L Diesel. What has not yet been announced is there are an additional 15 diesel powered automobiles from a number of different manufacturers that have yet to be announced will be released in 2013. We can only speculate as to what we have headed our way.

Historically, diesel cars have sold strongly in Europe, where the highly taxed fuel is slightly less expensive than highly taxed gasoline. In the US, diesel fuel typically costs between 25 and 40 cents more than gasoline, but the difference has been trending downward the past couple of years. When factoring in diesel’s relatively higher fuel efficiency, he said the cost differential appears less significant.

What the Cruze diesel will provide is a beach head for the European super diesels we have been reading about on CleanMPG for years. And maybe the most fuel efficient highway cruiser in America will not be relegated to the excellent hybrids we have come to know oh so well but something instead called turbo diesel.

Anyone want to help topple the current diesel powered 48-State Fuel Economy World Record ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  2. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Super Moderator

As long as it doesn't have an HPFP that kills the entire fuel system, or an intercooler that feeds water into the intake like VW CR engines, I'll consider it.

3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I was hoping GM was going to offer the 1.7 VCDI instead of the higher performance 2.0 VCDI, get the combined EPA rating into the low 40s,.. assuming this is the engine GM will use, here is a review:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2012-chevrolet-cruze-1-7-vcdi-review/262299

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1.7 VCDi review
    "The new model has a 1.7-litre diesel engine that averages 62.7mpg – 12.3mpg more than Cruze 2.0 VCDi models, while CO2 emissions are 30g/km lower at 117g/km."

What’s the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1.7 VCDi like to drive?
    "The new engine is smooth and usefully responsive. Performance is good, with 0-60mph taking a respectable 9.4 seconds."

Here is a review of the Cruze 2.0 VCDi with 150hp and an automatic:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/road-tests/chevrolet-cruze-lt-20-vcdi-2120327.html

4. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Do you know what they're doing for their emissions control? They had better give it SCR or I can't see the fuel economy being good. In Europe the 2.0 TDI is rated about 10% better than the Cruze 2.0 VCDi. If we see that same difference here then this will be rated lower on the EPA than the existing Cruze Eco.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

I believe they're going for SCR. In fact I think they're all doing it now because Euro VI finally cut NOx to a level that forced the manufacturers' hands.

It could be worse, but they'll point to the performance. We know how touchy the small turbos are.

I can't wait to see the impact. VW must be cacking themselves. If others follow GM, VW will lose a good chunk of sales and their fleet CAFE will tank.

6. Let them work the bugs out of the first year or so US models. Then I may have to check trade in value of the xB.

7. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad someone here in the U.S. is thinking ahead of the curve when it comes to fuel economy options for the consumer. More variants of more models give the average car buyer a decent selection to pick from when it comes to getting the most efficient vehicle for their needs. As I said before a certain South Korean manufacture really is setting the bar high for fuel economy, forcing the American companies to play catch up.

Competition breeds excellence.

8. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Optimistic fellow :)

These are engineered by VM Motori in Italy, the RA 420 SOHC, made by GM Daewoo and also used by Kia and Hyundai.. probably very reliable. VM Motori is owned by GM I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VM_Motori_engines

RA 420 SOHC

2.0 L (1,991 cc/121.5 cu in) I4, with four valves-per-cylinder and common-rail direct fuel injection. Produced by GM Daewoo.

Applications:
    Chevrolet Cruze, power: 110 kW (150 PS), torque: 320 N·m (240 lb·ft)
    Chevrolet Captiva, power: 110 kW (150 PS), torque: 320 N·m (240 lb·ft)
    Chevrolet Optra, power : 89 kW (121 PS), torque: 280 N·m (210 lb·ft)
    Daewoo Lacetti, power: 89 kW (121 PS), torque: 280 N·m (210 lb·ft)
    Daewoo Tosca, power: 110 kW (150 PS), torque: 320 N·m (240 lb·ft)
    Daewoo Winstorm, power: 110 kW (150 PS), torque: 320 N·m (240 lb·ft), engine code: Z 20 S1.
    Hyundai Elantra, power: 82 kW (111 PS); torque: 250 N·m (180 lb·ft)
    Hyundai i30, power: 103 kW (140 PS); torque: 305 N·m (225 lb·ft)
    Hyundai Sonata, power: 103 kW (140 PS) (pre-facelift models) / 110 kW (148 hp) (facelift models); torque: 305 N·m (225 lb·ft)
    Hyundai Tucson, power 82 kW (111 PS), 103 kW (140 PS) or 110 kW (150 PS) depending on model year; torque: 250 N·m (180 lb·ft) or 305 N·m (225 lb·ft)
    Hyundai SantaFe, power: 82 kW (111 PS); torque: 250 N·m (180 lb·ft)
    Hyundai Trajet, power: 82 kW (111 PS); torque: 250 N·m (180 lb·ft)
    Kia cee'd, power: 103 kW (140 PS); torque: 305 N·m (225 lb·ft)
    Kia Optima, power: 103 kW (140 PS) (pre-facelift models) / 110 kW (150 PS) (facelift models); torque: 305 N·m (225 lb·ft)
    Kia Carens, power: 103 kW (140 PS); torque: 305 N·m (225 lb·ft)
    Kia Sportage, power 82 kW (111 PS), 103 kW (140 PS) or 110 kW (150 PS) depending on model year; torque: 250 N·m (180 lb·ft) or 305 N·m (225 lb·ft)
    Opel Antara, power: 110 kW (150 PS), torque: 320 N·m (240 lb·ft)

9. herm

herm Well-Known Member

http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=8

Developed in late 1990's, these engines became a huge success at a Euro 3 level, as a product assembled by Hyundai in Korea under a VM manufacturing license agreement. Further technology upgradeby VM increased the engine performance and reduced pollutant emission to meet Euro 5 level. The new manufacturing license to GM Korea made this engine by far the most popular diesel engine manufactured in Korea in the last ten years.
    Great flexibility in both application and performance enables this engine family to power an extremely wide range of vehicles, from small Passenger cars up to mid-sized SUV's.
    Overall, the production volume passed the 1 Million units target, well above all expectations, thanks to the structural robustness of the crankcase architecture, the cost-effective SOHC design and the superior NVH performance provided by balancing shaft in the oil sump. Cooled EGR system, coupled with intake throttle, high pressure injection system and Variable Geometry Turbocharger are all features that are built-in to meet the most stringent emission requirements.

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

This sweetens the future of diesel in North America. If Chevy offers one, then Honda HAS to offer one too, right ? A few short years later, diesel cars are as American as a Korean Chevy. Make mine a Civic or Fit with the smaller engine, please.

11. xcel

Hi All:

GM Authority just announced that the 2014 Cruze Eco-D 2.0L turbo diesel will be revealed in Chicago next week!!! With a 700-mile range and 14 gallon tank yielding an impressive 50 mpgUS highway rating.

We'll be on the floor looking over that one for sure :D

Wayne

12. thunderstruck

Did they say what kind of transmission? Hope it's a 6 speed MT. Autos just aren't my bag.

13. xcel

Hi Thunderstrcuk:

No but we should see both a 6-speed AT and MT attached to this little monster. Expect the AT to be 2 to 3 mpgUS highway less just like the Passat and Jetta TDIs.

Wayne

14. xcel

Hi Thunderstruck:

No but we should see both a 6-speed AT and MT attached to this little monster. Expect the AT to be 2 to 3 mpgUS highway less just like the Passat and Jetta TDIs.

I did make a call into GM to confirm the detail from an “official source” and the Cruze ECO-D release is confirmed albeit “unofficially”.

Fortunately we will be receiving the embargoed docs about 3 days before the show goes up and probably at midnight the morning of the show I will be able to release the preview.

Who said you would not be participating in the premier Auto Show press event of the 2013 Auto Show season :D

Wayne

15. herm

herm Well-Known Member

whoa 50mpg!.. diesel frenzy begins at CleanMPG.com

16. thunderstruck

I'd like to think it's because I bugged the heck out of them last year at the show about bringing a diesel Cruze and they are responding to my suggestion. I won't do it this year, but I mentioned importing diesel powered variants that already exist in Europe to almost every mfr there.

17. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

18. xcel

Hi John:

GM is pushing for May but they have not yet released that. We'll know in a week and a half :)

Wayne

19. 50 mpg by 2012

50 mpg by 2012 Well-Known Member

Wayne, please double check the engine displacement.

I think the 2 Liter will be a disappointment fuel economy wise based on EU USER experience data I just found.

In the UK the 2 Liter appears to be discontinued for their 2013 model year in deference to the MT 1.7 Liter with roughly 20% better fuel economy.

There is also their new 1.6 Liter diesel in the wings that is supposed to be a better performer than the 1.7.

At least this gives you some questions to ask.

See what comes out in the release and the show.

20. xcel

Hi 50 mpg by 2012:

I did and it was confirmed to be the 2.0L. I "suspect" however that this will be a new breed just like the 1.7L above. We can only hope...

Here is the news on Opel's 1.6L I posted the other day: Opel’s All-new 1.6L Turbo Diesel. A Cruze Drop In?

Wayne