New guy on the forums from San Jose, CA

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by SquallLHeart, Apr 23, 2012.

1. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart Member

Hello folks! I've been lurking around the forums reading up on techniques here for a little while.. and have found the information here to be very useful.

I just recently traded in my 2006 Scion tC, of which with its age and wear.. along with whatever safe hypermiling techniques I could implement... it was still not friendly on my wallet with the 34mpg I could push out of it.

Even bumping up to the much better 6-speed 2011 tC which I occasionally borrowed from a friend.. I had many people gasp in awe as I could easily push 36-40mpg barrier.. well over the EPA of 26mpg (combined).. while only just doing basic techniques.

I would say I've been hypermiling for a while.. doing what I can too accommodate my driving lifestyle. Driving close to, if not over 30K miles/yr.. my bank account and lack of income needed to find better ways to not to throw away gas.

I've always eyeballed diesel vehicles as it would certainly fit my driving better, but alas, I could not find anything that would fit my budget. When the Prius C was released only last month.. I took a look at the MSRP, and was pretty much sold.

I figured I'd finally register on the forums to introduce myself, hoping to meet other knowledgeable people to help continue learning.. and to improve my techniques which now I pretty much have to learn how to drive all over again with this new vehicle.

and lol.. the name's Trung, btw.

2. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Trung.. I look forward to hearing about your C.

If you dont mind, how much did the dealer soak it to you?

3. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart Member

it came out to be about 22K OTD i think.. and from what i heard.. they barely made any money off of me. (which is what my finance guy told me.. and i've known the guy for years as a personal friend).. so they gave me a nice deal. :)

probably not a great as a deal as i've seen other people though.. but i think they are in areas where they actually are having a harder time selling them?

hard to believe.. since i've been seeing them fly off dealership lots all over the place.

I got a package 2.. btw.

4. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Welcome to CleanMPG! You bought what seems to be the leader in MPG off the floor. Good Luck!

5. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart Member

Thanks! I'm really fighting the stereotypes for hybrid and Prius drivers here in this state, despite my driving habits haven't really changed.

Driving in the slow lane, coasting up and down at a very steady speed... a lot of DWB.. but it's tough to maintain that focus when a larger amount of focus is required to avoid everyone else around you.

I've gotten a lot more attention now that I'm driving a Prius.. though I'm sure it's partially due to the fact my car is BRIGHT ORANGE :rolleyes:

most of my driving is out in the highway, with is slightly counter-intuitive of the Hybrid setup. ideally, I'd still love to own a diesel.. but it's just not in the cards right now.

6. F8L

F8L Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Trung! LOL

7. herm

herm Well-Known Member

I love that bright orange.. high visibility is always good but probably it wont age well :)

8. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart Member

i'm a moving traffic cone! uh.. LOL.

yea.. not sure the longevity of such a color... but I guess we'll just have to see.

9. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Trung:

I am sure that by now you have discovered that your c is probably worth at least 50% more and probably double what your Tc was allowing. How are you doing now that you have had it a few weeks?

Wayne

10. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart Member

having it for over two months now.. i've gotten close to 6K miles under its wheels... and the MFD is calculating a little over 57mpg... very close to what i am calculating manually using fuelly.com.. which i got about 56, so the car is calculating a little optimistic.. but that's pretty much normal from i know.

so yea.. doing great.. the gas bills are easily half of what it used to be.

Last edited: May 16, 2012