Oil change..??

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by SD3_Driver, Apr 22, 2012.

1. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

As far as i understand, the oil life remaining is a countdown of miles driven to 10,000, but with 4440 miles driven, the oil life remaining is @ 13%. More surprising is the fact that it was @ 16% last week and with no driving it went down 3%.... i'm i missing something??? i was just talking to a friend to get a hybrid, because of the less maint. required and less ownership cost, and was a bit ashamed when i discover that ( he saw the % last week and this week). I went ahead and got the oil and the filter for the next change ( a good deal by the way, 5Q Castrol Edge and the filter for $25) but for the last 3 weeks i've been seen a lot of oil "degradation" from 26% a month ago to 13% as of today....

2. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

Without sending it out for private analysis, I wonder how accurate the built-in diagnostic is? Maybe bit the bullet this round and send in a sample to see how the computer vs actual analysis pair up?

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I have wondered about my Honda's Maintenance Minder system and how it actually calculates remaining oil life. Right now I have about 7000 miles and six months on this oil , and it says I still have 40% oil life. I suppose it is possible , since I NEVER do any short trips with a cold engine and a typical trip is 15-22 miles.
    I may have my oil analyzed , but until then I will continue to trust Honda.

4. nighthawk

nighthawk Well-Known Member

its calculated based on driving habits, weather, time, miles...etc

but i have to say that seems low for any modern car, let alone a hybrid.

my insight II goes ~13k miles between changes

5. lolder

lolder Well-Known Member

The FFH is solely a mileage countdown. It is reset manually in the Set-Up, Oil Life menu. It may have been reset to 50 % by a mechanic that wanted the oil change business at 5000 miles instead of 10,000.

6. SD3_Driver

I reread the manual again and it says 10,000 miles or one year... that last one make sense on why the oil life is dereasing even though it is parked for a week... but, it will be ok to continue to 10,000 miles or I should do the oil change as the oil life reaches 0%????

7. lolder

lolder Well-Known Member

Reset the oil life to 50 % again and it will countdown the 5000 miles. I drive more than 10,000 miles a year so the time isn't pertinent. I wonder if it counts down by time also. With a 5000/ 50 % reset , one week would be 2 %. With rounding, either your 13 % or 16 % could have been off by one to equal 2 %. I'd go to 10,000 miles. It's not critical.

8. Ford Man

Ford Man Well-Known Member

If you're under warranty and don't follow the maintenance schedule (miles, elapsed time) the warranty could become void. Personally I don't worry about elapsed time I have a set number of miles and always change my oil accordingly.

9. SD3_Driver

Hmm, now it has been sitting @ 10% for the past two weeks until today that got down to 9%, :eek:, crazy oil life...:cool::confused:

10. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

There was someone I know that was driving a rental car from GM while their Insight was being repaired. He concluded that the oil life calculator must have been tied to ignition on/off cycles as the service life of the oil dropped to 0 in just a couple of weeks due to all of the keying off at lights.

11. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Can someone who has done an analysis and does extensive fas explain what they saw as a result? Am I changing oil way early at the recommended distance, or is fas hard on the oil?

12. SD3_Driver

Made the oil change a while ago and for the first time in two years, I am not able to go over 700 miles on a tank and over 50 mpg... It seems this car does not like Mobil 1 oil.... 9300 miles remaining on this oil so looking forward to see if this trend continues...:( :(

13. SD3_Driver

Hmmm, well I was wrong, It was not the oil... It is the fuel... As I was filling the SRT4 I noticed it was 93 octane, wow very nice to have 93 back, I noticed a huge drop in fuel economy and was a bit worried that the car could have some type of engine problem... Finally went to refill again and asked about the return of 93 octane fuel... And to my surprise, the answer was... " oh yes, we got 93 oct. available 'cause we are adding up to 10% ethanol"... And it is to both regular and premium... So, I really liked that gas station because it is really close to home but, time to look for another with just pure gas....

14. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

My bet it's both the oil and the gas. First of all, the 2.5L engine has to be level when draining the old oil. My '09 FEH 2.5L on front ramps left over a quart of old oil in the top of the engine, so when I added 5 qts, it was over full and the MPG dropped right away. Many FFH owners have reported this same problem after changing their oil themselves and at the dealers. The dipstick should be no more than half way between full and add mark.

Always put 87 octane in the tank, but the 2.5L can handle E10 just fine. I got a 884 mile tank (13.6 gal of E10) in my '09 FEH, which was 65mpg. The older '05 - '08 FEH 2.3L ran terrible on E10, but in '09, Ford went to the 2.5L with broadband O2 sensors that solved the E10 problems. If you can find straight 87 octane, that would be the best for MPG.

Gary

15. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Overfull oil causes low mileage in the FEH? Mine has always been overfull. Whether its changed by the dealer, Jiffy Lube, Wal-Mart, or my own mechanic, it always seems to be a quart high. Right now its the closest to the full mark that its ever been, but even at that its still probably 1/4 Qt high. Maybe I'll try changing it myself so I know the level is right. Lately my tanks in my 08 FEH 4wd have been 34-37 MPG. I thought that was probably the top of what I could get with the 4wd model, but now I'm hopeful that I might be able to get more out of it.

16. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

The '08 FEH has the 2.3L engine that will drain the oil just fine on ramps. It takes 4.5 quarts of oil with a change. If they put 5.0 quarts, expect lower MPG.

Gary

17. SD3_Driver

Interesting... I had checked the oil level and it past the half way point but not too close to the add mark... I will say fuel was a major change because I switched brands to non-ethanol and boom, right back to 50+mpg and 700+miles tank without any other thing changed...

18. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Yes, the Ford hybrids are very sensitive to ethanol. If I'm forced to put E10 in my tank, my next 3 tanks end up being 26-29 MPG, which is down from my normal 32-36 MPG.

19. SD3_Driver

Last month was the 36th month with it ( 3 years) just over 12,000 miles, one oil change and the car warranty has ended... talked to the salesman and he was like, " what?? just 12,000 miles? hey i got two 2014 FFH here, are you interested???" it was temptimg, but, I'm happy with mine so, no new car for now....:);)